Installing grips...any new advancements?

I want a new look on my CR500, but with the new bars come new grips.....I HATE installing grips. I've used compressed air, hairspay, I've tried it all.

Is there any new tricks or products that make installing new grips on bars easier, or Im I just a wussy (well, I no I'm a wussy......lol)

Thanks,

Chris

Just put new grips on my bike yesterday. They went on very easy. I put PrpTaper grips on and used the Scott (I think) adhesive. New bars should be fine but after I removed my old grips I used carburetor cleaner to clean the bars where the old grips were then used windex after that to make sure there were no chemicals on them from the carb cleaner. Put a light coating of adhesive all over the bars where the grips will go with your finger. Do not put any inside the grips but I put a little adhesive just on the lip of the grip for a little extra lube to get it started. Took maybe 10 minutes from start to finish, including removing the old ones, cleanng and installing new. If you were having problems I would say the bars were not completely clean of old adhesive.

Grips in the moto industry are stuck in the dark ages. Glue and wire??? We need some good lock-on choices like that's been used in mountain biking for the past 10 years....

But anyway, glue the bar, a little spritz of rubbing alcohol inside the grip, wire.... works great.

After I get the old glue off the bars, I put the new glue on the bars in 3 evenly spaced horizontal lines, and spray a little contact cleaner in the new grips. They slide right on.

One thing to remember though, is that the throttle side grip will have a bigger inside diameter to accommodate the throttle tube. Trying to put the clutch side grip (smaller) on the throttle side will result in much grief, cussing, and throwing of wrenches ?

Grips in the moto industry are stuck in the dark ages. Glue and wire??? We need some good lock-on choices like that's been used in mountain biking for the past 10 years....

I use wd40 and safetywire on my mtb grips too. the lock-on grips are all too fat for my taste, and too pricy.

I find putting grips on to be totally easy. a few seconds, and done.

But anyway, glue the bar, a little spritz of rubbing alcohol inside the grip, wire.... works great.

Big time......I cant believe there isnt a better way!

Oh well.

I use wd40 and safetywire on my mtb grips too. the lock-on grips are all too fat for my taste, and too pricy.

I find putting grips on to be totally easy. a few seconds, and done.

Nobody said it was hard. In fact, if you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can successfully install moto grips. But like I said, there's a better way than what we have.

MX is superior to mtb in mostly every way but in the grip department not so much

P.S. An ODI Ruffian style grip is at least as thin as any moto grip. In fact you'd pretty much have to have child's hands to find them too thick.

Nobody said it was hard. In fact, if you can walk and chew gum at the same time you can successfully install moto grips. But like I said, there's a better way than what we have.

MX is superior to mtb in mostly every way but in the grip department not so much

I don't see what makes it 'better'. I see what makes it more expensive, but I don't see any improvement to my life through some other way of attaching grips. I guess I'm a fan of simple, easy, cheap and reliable.

I don't see what makes it 'better'. I see what makes it more expensive, but I don't see any improvement to my life through some other way of attaching grips. I guess I'm a fan of simple, easy, cheap and reliable.

If 'better' means easier to install and take off (plus reusing them at any time) and not having to deal with making them stick then holding them in place with wire.... then yes lock on grips are 'better'. If 'better' means you like wiring and gluing and hoping you don't ever get water inside the grips then yes moto grips would be better. ?

Simple, easy, and reliable? Got it. Cheap? Well we're talking a few dollars more (what...$20 USD total?) to get the full bolt on kit, then you have the lock rings for pretty much a lifetime and you simply replace the grip itself when needed. Hmm... sounds pretty affordable to me. Besides, how much does a moto and all your gear cost? Why are you concerned about a peice of kit that costs about the same as Rethal Kevlar grips?

Please, this is a non argument. Lock on grips are better every time.

If 'better' means easier to install and take off (plus reusing them at any time) and not having to deal with making them stick then holding them in place with wire.... then yes lock on grips are 'better'. If 'better' means you like wiring and gluing and hoping you don't ever get water inside the grips then yes moto grips would be better. :ride:

Simple, easy, and reliable? Got it. Cheap? Well we're talking a few dollars more (what...$20 USD total?) to get the full bolt on kit, then you have the lock rings for pretty much a lifetime and you simply replace the grip itself when needed. Hmm... sounds pretty affordable to me. Besides, how much does a moto and all your gear cost? Why are you concerned about a peice of kit that costs about the same as Rethal Kevlar grips?

Please, this is a non argument. Lock on grips are better every time.

Ok, cool, go get yourself some. I'll stick with easy, cheap and reliable. I see no advantages whatsoever to me in fancy 'lock on' grips. But then I'm one of those luddites that still rides a 2stroke, w/o a rekluse or steering damper. ?

BTW, my Idaho Steelheads drop the puck against the Victoria Salmon Kings in 2.5 hrs. Gonna stop for a fine beer on the way to the game.

I'll stick with easy, cheap and reliable. I see no advantages whatsoever to me in fancy 'lock on' grips.

umm...

BTW, my Idaho Steelheads drop the puck against the Victoria Salmon Kings in 2.5 hrs. Gonna stop for a fine beer on the way to the game.

Is that a hockey team or something? Based out of Victoria? Can't say I'm a fan. Never heard of them. My home town team (which I also don't care for) is the Kamloops Blazers. yawn..... I'd rather ride my bike(s).?

i use break clean.. goes right on.. dries up in a few minutes.. no wire around grips for me.. i even had to move them in the otherday.. cut the bars down 2in.. sprayed break clean under grip.. moved them around to where i wanted.. then let sit.. 5 minutes later.. perfect!