Why buy a leatt brace when I could just big bore my bike?

sounds like a pretty brutal crash.

you need to recreate the crash but this time with the neck brace on to see if it would help. ?:ride::moon:

I have in my head for sure, and I'm convinced that with the brace on, I would not have been able to bend my neck as far as it did to cause the damage, in fact if I could have got my hands in front of me I would have likly been fine, it just happened so fast, i was a human lawn dart, the ground was even soft, I did not have a scratch other wise. it was a fluke thing, but it does happen. I rode with a neck roll unitl the Leatt came out, took a total of about 15 minutes to get used to it, I rode once without it and felt naked.

Mike

All fine and dandy, but really they could cut my foot off, and I could deal with it, now picture yourself in a wheel chair and a quardaplegic! BIG difference!!!!

BIG difference in the injuries you're talking about, no doubt.

My point is though...

I whack, smash, hit, and generally abuse my feet on just about every ride... it is just much less likely you'll hurt your neck.

*At the end of my post... I suggested that he does get one.

• 3 weeks later...

What a useless thread!!! Should I, shouldn't I.. I've never.... blah blah blah,, If you feel more comfortable buying a brace then get one. I personally think why not.. I'd rather ride another day, or see my children learn to ride and enjoy the sport, or see them ride again.. "an ounce of prevention..." you can;t slag a guy for wanting to wear on, wether it works or not.. and you can;t slag a guy for not wanting to wear one, "statistically" probably won't ever need it.

I smoked for 20 years, statistically I might not have gotten lung or throat cancer.. but I quit anyway. Take anyone who has bucked any type of safety device and has sustained a life changing injury and ask them if their view has changed, I guarantee they would take back the doubt and take the right path.

Go dig up Earnhardt and ask him if he has a different view of the HANS device..

Like this reply or not, I don't care, everyone's right in their own decisions, just don't look here for someone to make up your mind for you.. you're a grown up, choose your own path, if your not then your parents should be making you ride as safe as possible.

I didn't bother reading everyone responces, but I know for a fact that if I had been wearing my Leatt in August of '05 it would have saved my collar bone from being broken into 5 pieces and requiring surgery. Just another thought, it may not ever save your neck, but it could very likely save your collar bones, and even minor breaks still suck.

lol yeah im saving for my leatt brace right now and even though its tempting to buy other stuff and gear or parts i know that if the time comes like the guy above said about the collar bone, then heck i would rather break a leatt than my collar bone.

It is always surprising to see everyone thinking that more power is the answer. I would venture to say that James Stewart on a 125 would dust anyone on this forum on a 450. I have been racing Hare Scrambles in Florida for 2 years and I went from a 450 to a 250 realizing that suspension and riding technique is more important. I am the current leader in my class for this season due to riding skill not raw power. On the topic of a Leatt, I wouldn't get on a bike without one. I won't drive without a seatbelt either... even though myself or none of my friends have ever needed one (knock on wood). I can't remember a race where someone hasn't broken a bone, usually collarbones, and that is the main reason in my opinion for wearing one. Collarbones are probably the most common injury in motocross which is usually caused by the helmet slamming into it (this is what the Leatt prevents). The fact that it might keep me from being in a wheelchair is an added bonus. For the majority of us we ride and race for fun... we don't get paid to do it... and we have to show up for work every Monday and can't afford to be stuck in the hospital. Spend you money on protection and suspension and your time on practice. "Just my 2 cents"

It is always surprising to see everyone thinking that more power is the answer. I would venture to say that James Stewart on a 125 would dust anyone on this forum on a 450. I have been racing Hare Scrambles in Florida for 2 years and I went from a 450 to a 250 realizing that suspension and riding technique is more important. I am the current leader in my class for this season due to riding skill not raw power. On the topic of a Leatt, I wouldn't get on a bike without one. I won't drive without a seatbelt either... even though myself or none of my friends have ever needed one (knock on wood). I can't remember a race where someone hasn't broken a bone, usually collarbones, and that is the main reason in my opinion for wearing one. Collarbones are probably the most common injury in motocross which is usually caused by the helmet slamming into it (this is what the Leatt prevents). The fact that it might keep me from being in a wheelchair is an added bonus. For the majority of us we ride and race for fun... we don't get paid to do it... and we have to show up for work every Monday and can't afford to be stuck in the hospital. Spend you money on protection and suspension and your time on practice. "Just my 2 cents"

Well said good sir , well said especially because no one wants to get laid off in this economy for a collar bone call out that would suck.

i seen a guy get fired because he missed to many days from breaking his collar bone and the manager was like " sorry not my fault."

Well said good sir , well said especially because no one wants to get laid off in this economy for a collar bone call out that would suck.

i seen a guy get fired because he missed to many days from breaking his collar bone and the manager was like " sorry not my fault."

And that's when you file a wrongful termination lawsuit, it's illegal to fire someone for an injury like that in most states I would bet.

And that's when you file a wrongful termination lawsuit, it's illegal to fire someone for an injury like that in most states I would bet.

I think that you'd lose that bet... unless the injury was sustained at work and there is comp involved.

We all gamble when we're off the clock... if you get busted up, hopefully your job will still be there when you're healed... but, that's about all you've got - Hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Having already broken my neck in a non motorcycle related crash, I now have a leatt brace, having ridden with it i now would not even think about riding without it, had a couple of tumbles since and think it has stopped asny injuries that may have been caused had i not had the brace. Personally i think its wirth its weight in gold, also if you want more power just get an rmz450 and you wont have to worry about big bore kits and junk like that, the brace is worth every penny, joe.