Sign in to follow this  

Why buy a leatt brace when I could just big bore my bike?

Just like the title says, I think I need more power!

That power is gonna be useless if you've got a broken neck :p:ride:

My 2 cents

• Like 1

Sell your helmet and buy a new Power Band?

i agree, i would buy a big bore kit before i bought a leatt. some how we all survived for years without them. its not like people are breaking their necks all over the place. the neck brace craze is a little out of control. get the big bore kit. or better yet save your money, and get neither.

I'd sell my boots and use flip-flops. That will also save weight = more power = more fun! Heavy brakes also do NOTHING for power.

yes, this is going to get great. Hopefully it gets moved to the General Forum. Dance puppets Dance!

i agree, i would buy a big bore kit before i bought a leatt. some how we all survived for years without them. its not like people are breaking their necks all over the place. the neck brace craze is a little out of control. get the big bore kit. or better yet save your money, and get neither.

People survived, but it only takes one time like it does for David Bailey, Blair Morgan and many others, Novice, Intermediate or Professional...

• Like 1

That power is gonna be useless if you've got a broken neck :ride::moon:

My 2 cents

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that a 15 year old was smart enough to say this. Good gas for you, neversettle4LCQ. :p

i sure as hell wouldnt bore. it will cost more and you'll ahve probelms if your just thinking ill bore it throw a bigger piston in it.

I hate boring a bike. I won't do that again.

I would save that money and get a leatt for Birthday/Xmas

People survived, but it only takes one time like it does for David Bailey, Blair Morgan and many others, Novice, Intermediate or Professional...

They broke their backs.

I would get suspension work before a big-bore kit.

Forget buying a power band. I remember, back in England someone told me that you could use a Beachy Head to make your bike really fast.

I bought a new powerband but it only fits on two strokes so I had to sell it.

I would choose power over the Leatt. I have been riding for 3 years with just my HJC helmet and Wolverine work boots and have only suffered road rash. Worst crashes were, hitting a puddle in 5th pinned on a 400ex, one side of the quad hit it and the quad jumped the air and landed sideways and cart wheeled down the train tracks, I had some scratches on my leg. Then, I looped out an RM 250 in 5th riding a wheelie and got 18 stitches.

why???

One will make your death more likley(big bore)

One will make your death less likley

just what i think ones safer ones more fun, dont forget that wont be to much fun when your dead

statistically one will never be necessary (leatt), while the other will be used everytime you ride (big bore).

thats also why the comparison between the leatt and helmets and boots is so ridiculous. sure, not wearing a leatt is like not wearing a helmet except every time i ride i take a branch, rock, etc to the head, and occasionally i fall and smack my head a little. ive never broken my neck, in fact if i take every hour of riding i or my friends have ever done not one of us, has had any kind of neck injury. while all our helmets have scratches and chips and we have probably all smashed a visor or two.

if the leatt makes you feel safer fine get the leatt, no big deal. just stop pretending that everyone who doesnt have one is going to get paralyzed, or is dumb for not buying one. thats equatable to saying: anyone who doesnt buy lottery tickets is dumb because they might win.

when your pinned in 3rd in a special test on your new 04 300, that's dialed perfectly and you have never felt faster, then you hit a hidden log that pitches you over the bars and into the bank on the other side of the trail, and your lying on the ground in pain and cant feel your arm. You get home and re-think your hobby, sell your bike, spend a year gettng better, you wont ride with out one! BEEN THERE DONE THAT, I was lucky!!

Mike

I should add, I have been riding and racing for well over 20 years, and ya that was the only time I have ever crashed like that, so its true thats its very unlikely, BUT it only takes once, why take the chance??????

when your pinned in 3rd in a special test on your new 04 300, that's dialed perfectly and you have never felt faster, then you hit a hidden log that pitches you over the bars and into the bank on the other side of the trail, and your lying on the ground in pain and cant feel your arm. You get home and re-think your hobby, sell your bike, spend a year gettng better, you wont ride with out one! BEEN THERE DONE THAT, I was lucky!!

Mike

I should add, I have been riding and racing for well over 20 years, and ya that was the only time I have ever crashed like that, so its true thats its very unlikely, BUT it only takes once, why take the chance??????

sounds like a pretty brutal crash.

you need to recreate the crash but this time with the neck brace on to see if it would help. :p:ride::moon:

I would choose power over the Leatt. I have been riding for 3 years with just my HJC helmet and Wolverine work boots and have only suffered road rash.

Sorry bud... but everything you said counts for zero with me.

I've had at least two crashes/collisions that the upper part of my boot likely saved me from a painful extraction from the woods with what probably would have been a seriously broken leg.

Granted those are both only 'likely scenarios', but with the boots on I didn't have to find out how bad it could have been.

Boots are totally different from a Leatt... they are down low constantly being hit on metal, wood, rock, etc.

I don't ride with a Leatt, I won't judge anybody for using or not using them...

Riding in work boots I will however judge you on. There is no substantial ankle support or lower leg protection among other things purposely designed into riding boots to make them ideal for the job they are performing. There is no excuse for having riden for 3 years and not having boots... unless you are on quads the whole time (then enough said).

I'll wear work or good hiking boots, cupped toe and steel shank, if I'm riding with the kids and I'm on the 50. Even though I'm more prone to trail crap hitting me because I'm lower on the 50, I'm not on any difficult trails, moving at any real speed, and the tall boots really make riding the little bike more difficult.

... on your new 04 300, that's dialed perfectly and you have never felt faster.

:ride: I know that feeling! :moon:

Just like the title says, I think I need more power!

If you are riding that WR450 (I'm guessing that is the bike you're talking about here.) on the ragged edge, WFO every where you go, you've done all the cheap-ish mods, and are in dyer need of more power.... you're way more hardcore than me...

GET A LEATT (It's only a matter of time before you use it.) :p

Sorry bud... but everything you said counts for zero with me.

I've had at least two crashes/collisions that the upper part of my boot likely saved me from a painful extraction from the woods with what probably would have been a seriously broken leg.

Granted those are both only 'likely scenarios', but with the boots on I didn't have to find out how bad it could have been.

Boots are totally different from a Leatt... they are down low constantly being hit on metal, wood, rock, etc.

I don't ride with a Leatt, I won't judge anybody for using or not using them...

Riding in work boots I will however judge you on. There is no substantial ankle support or lower leg protection among other things purposely designed into riding boots to make them ideal for the job they are performing. There is no excuse for having riden for 3 years and not having boots... unless you are on quads the whole time (then enough said).

I'll wear work or good hiking boots, cupped toe and steel shank, if I'm riding with the kids and I'm on the 50. Even though I'm more prone to trail crap hitting me because I'm lower on the 50, I'm not on any difficult trails, moving at any real speed, and the tall boots really make riding the little bike more difficult.

:ride: I know that feeling! :moon:

If you are riding that WR450 (I'm guessing that is the bike you're talking about here.) on the ragged edge, WFO every where you go, you've done all the cheap-ish mods, and are in dyer need of more power.... you're way more hardcore than me...

GET A LEATT (It's only a matter of time before you use it.) :p

All fine and dandy, but really they could cut my foot off, and I could deal with it, now picture yourself in a wheel chair and a quardaplegic! BIG difference!!!!