Sign in to follow this  

cr 250 trans oil question

I have a question; I bought a used 04 cr250 (love it) and i have been changing the trans oil after every ride. The reason being the oil is super dark after i ride the bike for a couple hours.

My question is, does the oil brake down or is it just flushing the trans/clutch?

How important is changing dirty oil, have no problem changing the oil after 5 hrs or so but every ride is a little much.

I'm using belray 80w, does anyone else have this same (maybe) issue?

if its just flushing the engine is there any other cheaper oil i can use? So, its not costing me 8 dollars a shot??

Rotella-T 15W40 works great. If you do not change any oil offten, you will notice your shifting will get notchy. Steel clutch plates will get you more hours between oil changes.

Can't answer your question but the oil in my '02 CR250 is always dirty too. I change it often (never go over 3 hours - usually a lot less), but it always looks dirty.

It is the clutch plate material that is making your oil dirty.

You can use any Non-Energy Conserving oil (check your manual for what the label looks like).

I use Honda HP Trans Oil (red bottle). I buy it by the case and it's about $4 per quart. I use it in all my CR's and CRF's.

I don't change mine every ride. Maybe every 3 or 4 rides. Unless you're running a full on wide open clutch slippin 30 minute moto then I'd change it.

I have some extra pennsoil 10-30 left over. This is the energy conserving type. Should i put this in, start the bike for a minute or so just to flush it out? Good idea bad idea, i will not be riding with this oil in.......

I read in mxaction that some pro mx mechanics used atf fluid for the race bikes in a pinch. I read it a few more other places that I can't remember now. I change my oil after every ride. I have changed out the aluminum plates so no more shavings in my oil either. It works well and it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

I use ATF in my 01 CR250. I find it significantly reduces the 'clunk' when first engaging gear when the transmission is cold, and there is no detrimental effect to the transmission lubrication.

I change my oil after every 3-4 rides (approx 10 hrs). It is always dark in colour due to the clutch plate contamination. I have been following this procedure for some time and have not noticed any change in the 'cleanliness' of the oil, or had any transmission problems.