Sign in to follow this  

08 ran rough & then quit / fuel pump issue

Hey Guys,

Just an FYI! Yesterday while I was out riding, my bike was feeling great, until about 3/4 of the ride. It started bogging hard from 1/4 throttle on up and was back firing on decel. The bike would start up easy and idle smooth. About 15 minutes later the bike quit running. I knew something was wrong electrically, especially since it quit on the downhill and wouldn't bump start as I got down the hill.

When I got home I checked:

The little black connector next to the head tube on the right side with a voltmeter and got 13.5v while kicking over.

Then I pulled the tank & checked for spark, good.

Then I pulled the fuel pump hose & found no fuel coming out of pump.

Then I checked for power and ground to fuel pump, good.

I then removed the fuel pump from the tank to inspected closer. With the pump removed I ran 12v to the connector and the fuel pump still didn't energize. The fuel pump itself has a sub-harness and as I wiggled this sub-harness the pump would come on & off. What I found was the black wire that goes on top of the fuel pump refer to the picture below was spread out. I re-crimped the wire and the bike is running great again!

DSC_0010-2.jpg

• Like 1

Good to know. Think the wire got damaged when you installed the pump on the new tank or was it just a fluke?

Good to know. Think the wire got damaged when you installed the pump on the new tank or was it just a fluke?

No because the wire was not damage, just the female connector was spread out and not making a good connection. I've seen some of the Aussie boy's having some unusual running issues, maybe this is the same problem. I'm lucky the bike completely died, because it is easier to diagnose a no run condition versus a drivability issue. When my bike was running rough all sort of thoughts where going through my mind.

Cool well when I get my IMS tank in I'll double check that connector just to make sure it's good.

You are referring to the little red an black wires next to each other on the top of the pump, right? The black one came disconnected? Thanks for the tip.:p

You are referring to the little red an black wires next to each other on the top of the pump, right? The black one came disconnected? Thanks for the tip.:p

Yes, and have you had a chance to ride your bike yet with the PC3?

I just have to say "MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THESE CONNECTIONS".It just cost me a finish in The Finke Desert Race with only 70kms to go!!!!(500km race) http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au/

I must admit i did check the connections when i put the IMS tank on but it looks as though the connector was slowly wearing away because when i went to crimp it up the bloody thing cracked so i just replaced it.I also added a cable tie to keep both tight.

Thanks Bellec for the heads up and i wish i took this help a bit more serious like the T piece i replaced.

Bellec.... Man if I was suzuki I'd hire u just to find problems because u have been put thru the ringer... If anyone has found bad issues the hard way it's u... However at least ur skilled with tools n share ur experiences... Gosh sorry to hear but happy to know thanks!!

Yeah Bellec has really helped us out here a few times. Thanks for the info sir!

Also Bugalugs, that race looks killer! There was two 2K8 RMZ that made it to the finish according to the results. 500km on a RMZ, talk about a sore butt.

Steve

Its the only time i have trained for a race.Its super fast(15,43gearing) with whoops that go forever.I cant wait to go back next year to get the job done!

My bike coughed,backfired and just started slowing down before it completely stopped.

I just have to say "MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THESE CONNECTIONS".It just cost me a finish in The Finke Desert Race with only 70kms to go!!!!(500km race) http://www.finkedesertrace.com.au/

I must admit i did check the connections when i put the IMS tank on but it looks as though the connector was slowly wearing away because when i went to crimp it up the bloody thing cracked so i just replaced it.I also added a cable tie to keep both tight.

Thanks Bellec for the heads up and i wish i took this help a bit more serious like the T piece i replaced.

Bellec.... Man if I was suzuki I'd hire u just to find problems because u have been put thru the ringer... If anyone has found bad issues the hard way it's u... However at least ur skilled with tools n share ur experiences... Gosh sorry to hear but happy to know thanks!!
Yeah Bellec has really helped us out here a few times. Thanks for the info sir!

Also Bugalugs, that race looks killer! There was two 2K8 RMZ that made it to the finish according to the results. 500km on a RMZ, talk about a sore butt.

Steve

You guys are welcome, but I got to tell you I could have done without learning about the plastic T-fitting the hard way:banghead: That was a tough and expensive lesson to learn.

I warned you about the plastic T piece on long rides. Too bad yours didn't come in soon enough.

Well, based on what just happened to me today, I had to revive this post. Today, about an hour into a very rough and seriously whooped out trail, my '08.5 z450 back fired and died. About a 1/4 mile before it was starting to run "not so great" but not bad either.

A short 2 hour push back to my truck (it was "only" 80 degrees out...), I was heading back to my garage. Because it's EFI there's only a few things that I can check, but I remembered Bellec's posting on the fuel pump sub-harness so I figured ~ why not.

So I pulled the fuel pump and sure enough, in my case the black wire was not even connected. I re-crimped it and plugged it back in. Also because the fuel pump was in my hand, I checked the other one. Bingo!, it was barely hanging on!

Thanks to Bellec not only figuring out what happened but actually taking the time to post his ordeal, he saved me at least one dealership headace!! Thank you!! And based on my finding both wires loose, I do recommend that everyone should try to fit this check into their weekly maintenance schedule. Just pull one wire at a time and mash down on the crimp that plugs into the pump.

I wish that I would have done this when I originally installed my IMS tank. It would have saved me a 2 hour push...

Well, based on what just happened to me today, I had to revive this post. Today, about an hour into a very rough and seriously whooped out trail, my '08.5 z450 back fired and died. About a 1/4 mile before it was starting to run "not so great" but not bad either.

A short 2 hour push back to my truck (it was "only" 80 degrees out...), I was heading back to my garage. Because it's EFI there's only a few things that I can check, but I remembered Bellec's posting on the fuel pump sub-harness so I figured ~ why not.

So I pulled the fuel pump and sure enough, in my case the black wire was not even connected. I re-crimped it and plugged it back in. Also because the fuel pump was in my hand, I checked the other one. Bingo!, it was barely hanging on!

Thanks to Bellec not only figuring out what happened but actually taking the time to post his ordeal, he saved me at least one dealership headace!! Thank you!! And based on my finding both wires loose, I do recommend that everyone should try to fit this check into their weekly maintenance schedule. Just pull one wire at a time and mash down on the crimp that plugs into the pump.

I wish that I would have done this when I originally installed my IMS tank. It would have saved me a 2 hour push...

Good to hear it was something simple:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good to hear it was something simple:thumbsup:

So am I, yesterday I just didn't have the energy to go any further.

Thanks again!

zig...

are you talking about the wires on the outside of fuel pump or inside... cuz i have never took out my fuel pump so im not sure which ones your talking about based on your writing... just trying to make sure because before i start riding again im going over all the issues..

zig...

are you talking about the wires on the outside of fuel pump or inside... cuz i have never took out my fuel pump so im not sure which ones your talking about based on your writing... just trying to make sure because before i start riding again im going over all the issues..

Nope, just like Bellec shows in his picture, it's the Red and Black wire and you will have to pull the tank and then the pump to check those two connections.

DSC_0010-2.jpg

For some reason Suzuki has a nice connector on the other end of these wires that clips into the pump bulkhead, which then leads outside the tank and into the main harness. Why they didn't design a better setup here I do not understand. And if you know of a fuel resistant epoxy, let me know, because using some where they loop over the top and go through a clip would seem to really help steady the pump.

zig

thanks for the pix and details.... just didnt know if you were talking inside or outside the pump... but NOW i know..hahaha

Thanks