Sign in to follow this  

DRZ470 stroker build. ????

I have a 2006 drz400sm, it had 16,000 miles on it all from me. Never had one problem tell the crank took a crap. So I set my self a goal of 55 to 60 hp after doing a lot of searching threw this site. I bought a Lukes Racing 470 stroker kit. I already had the full Yosh kit, AMR monster coil and some other non motor parts. I have seen the guy from Japans bike and liked it allot. But his powder coat on the motor will ended up not working for me in the So Cali summer weather. I tore the bike down and sent the hole frame, swinger, subframe and all other little parts for black powder coating. After I can get all these seals and bearings out of the cases (Not easy) Its going to have a 1200F black paint job done to it so it will match the rest of the bike. I just have a few ? that I couldn't really answer from reading threw all the threads. I have a friend who owns his own mobile dyno setup (250i Dynojet ) so I am going to do my best to make my 55hp goal maybe even 60 if I can. Can I run a fcr 41 carb from all other mx bikes? ( honda, ktm and husk ) I am a budget builder always have been so if I can find a good deal on a carb on egay I will buy it. Just need to know before I waste money. Second ? I am going to but RHC cams and springs. Do I have to go up in mm on the valves to make the hp? And does anyone have a price on what it cost you to send your head to Eddie? I need and will do what I need to get the power. As for the cdi box I have looked at dyna's setup and they have 2 different ones. One is a non programable one and the other has 4 setting. But they both have the same hp estimate. If anyone knows it would help me out. I am going to dyno test with the stock cdi and see where the drop off is compared to the rpm. If I need more rpm does anyone have a box they have used that works well? I think I have covered myself but not sure. I have bought new crank bearings and all new seals, but not sure if I need to get new tranny bearings and all the other little guys. I also put a order in for a new cam chain sense 16,000 miles I am sure its done. If there is anything I am looking past please tell me I want to make sure I do this right I am no pro builder but I know the basics. I am sure I will be sending my head to Eddie soon as I can get a price figure together so I know what I am in for thanks.

Please don't bash if I made a mistake.

You can use a 41mm fcr, the bike it was on before doesnt make much of a difference... no need for tps.

Yes, you will need to go +1mm on the intake valves to allow the head to flow enough air. Not sure of the price.

CDI does not really increase hp, just raises the limiter. Eddie does offer a fully programmable one I believe.

Thats about all I can answer, good luck! Where in So. Cal?

skip the cdi.i make 60hp on the stock box.you do not want to increase the rev limit of a 470.

in order for the head to take advantage of any porting you need +1mm intake valves.

labor to port the head and do the big valve is $350.it $1080 in part (cams,sprockets,valves and springs).

budget 60hp drz?

dont forget you will need a MRD/SSW pipe ($450) or a yosh ti pipe ($925).

you need a 41mm fcr-mx with a removeabele intake bell.

the amr monster coil doesnt do anything.

Thousand Oaks

You can use a 41mm fcr, the bike it was on before doesnt make much of a difference... no need for tps.

Yes, you will need to go +1mm on the intake valves to allow the head to flow enough air. Not sure of the price.

CDI does not really increase hp, just raises the limiter. Eddie does offer a fully programmable one I believe.

Thats about all I can answer, good luck! Where in So. Cal?

What I mean by budget is if there is a part I need that is used and in still good working order like a pipe or a carb I will buy it. You can build on a budget hell I did on my big bore and got a insane deal on all new stuff and saved big Thanks to Mike at Lukes racing. So Eddie does the drz head hold back that much power stock? And 60hp is just a goal if it make 52hp it would still make me happy just would like the 60hp. I will save my money on the cdi and get a few more hundred together to do the head. The head is going to set me back more then the BB kit. As for the pipe I have the full Yosh stain setup. Do I really have to get one of the ones your talking about? I don't like the sound of them. I am sure they make the big # but at that cost I would be out double sense I already have bought a yosh setup a year ago. As for the head is that total for you to degree it and test it for max hp? I am sure it is just checking. Thank You

skip the cdi.i make 60hp on the stock box.you do not want to increase the rev limit of a 470.

in order for the head to take advantage of any porting you need +1mm intake valves.

labor to port the head and do the big valve is $350.it $1080 in part (cams,sprockets,valves and springs).

budget 60hp drz?

dont forget you will need a MRD/SSW pipe ($450) or a yosh ti pipe ($925).

you need a 41mm fcr-mx with a removeabele intake bell.

the amr monster coil doesnt do anything.

Ohh and Eddie what bearings do I have to replace? And sense I found a good amount of metal in the motor from the crank do I need to rebuild the oil pump?

stainless yosh will not cut it.its good for 46hp max.

the stock head supports 55hp.

to go beyond that it needs the porting and +1mm vavles.

regardless you will need the rhc cams and the sprockets,the springs and valves.the only thing you would be saving is the head porting/big valve labor.

the qoute is gave is if you send me the head.i send it back ported,big valved,cam degreed,ready to bolt on.

i suggest replacing the main bearings,the cam chain and you will need a manual cam chain tensioner.

just so you know these are really a full on race motor.they need to be maintained that way.

I feel you on the maintenance, what am I in for beside the normal. And as for the pipe I will sell it on egay and buy the new one. How much is the MRD pipe? As for the head I will buy the RHC package. As for the porting I will have to save some more cash. As for 60hp being a race motor I ride So Cal canyons for a long time. The stock SM is just for fun I will have no problem with 49, 57 and 60hp will be fine. I would just like to get the best bang for the buck. But if there something special about maintaining it please tell me. Eddie what do I need to do to my oil pump sense it had shavings in it and 16,000 miles? Thanks for the help.

Eddie build me one of his 470`s.....I put in premium gas and change the oil every 1000 miles.....Ride it comuting every day......very recomended...:moon: :moon: :p:ride:

Erling

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear I work 8 mile from my house and would like to ride it everyday. I am not sure what the difference between the Lukes racing kit compared to Eddies kit?

i would replace the pump for sure.

oil changes every 1000 street mile max. preferably after every hard ride.

you will have longevity issues with the lukes piston.it is 2 rings instead of 3.

if its used ont he track you chack the valve often.

the MRD pipe is $450 or so.

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear I work 8 mile from my house and would like to ride it everyday. I am not sure what the difference between the Lukes racing kit compared to Eddies kit?

i use a cylinder spacer instead of the 2 ring piston.the 2 ring piston is intended for race use.its good for about 15 hours of run time.

Man, reading things like this is making the money in my pocket grow warmer. :p

Eddie, would you consider it a waste to do the 5mm stroke crankshaft while keeping my cylinder head exactly as it is right now?

Or, would it make more sense to upgrade to the mentioned cams, springs, porting, and valves?

I don't have to make a max of 60hp, but more (reliable) power is always welcome. :ride:

It's a stock DR-Z400SM cylinder head except for stage 1 Hotcams.

I already have the 94mm Cylinder Works big bore kit installed along with a DR-Z400E slant-bodied FCR39.

The bike currently runs strongly and runs perfectly.

get a new oil pump dude dont chance it takeing a dump wen youre going down the rd at ??? watever speed trust me its no fun:cripple:

Eddie build me one of his 470`s.....I put in premium gas and change the oil every 1000 miles.....Ride it comuting every day......very recomended...:moon: :moon: :p:ride:

Erling

Erling, is that a 57HP 470cc like the one in the following thread that Eddie build for you? http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459108

If it is, what you are saying is that your engine does not require any supplementary maintenance versus a stock engine, is that correct?

just so you know these are really a full on race motor.they need to be maintained that way.

Eddie, on the other hand the 60 HP engine requires more frequent valve checks and oild changes. Did I get this right?

I just read the "Tale of the 57HP DRZ" thread but now I'm a tad confused with regards to the maintenance required for the 57HP engine versus the 60HP one.

Hmmm. looks like I did something wrong... I wanted to edit my post but it is nowhere to be found :p

Anyways, Eddie when you say it's a 'full blown race engine' are you referring to the Luke's racing kit based engine or does this apply to any 60 HP DRZ engine?

I just read the 'Tale of the 57HP DRZ' thread and I am a little confused now, as I thought the 57HP motor required no special extra maintenance versus a stocker engine. Thanks in advance for the clarification...

no you are mistaking what i say.i maintain stock drz motors the same way.

the 2 ring piston just decreases the longevity.

oil change 1000 street miles max.if used on the track the oil needs to be changed every ride.