Sign in to follow this  

how in the hell does this happen?

look at it... the bolt just fell out of the shift lever, that's why i couldn't shift the transmission. and these bolts are Phillips heads... in the manual they should be hex heads. so, it looks like the previous owner messed with this thing before.

here is the bolt when i took the case off, just sitting there:

P3060853-1.jpg

here is the bolt sitting next to the broken shift shaft. ya, i broke the shift shaft after repeatedly trying to get it to downshift, and it just snapped:

P3060854.jpg

here you can see the hole where the bolt should have gone:

P3060855-1.jpg

and here is a closeup of the mashed bolt:

P3060856.jpg

how does this happen? what should i do next? do i still need to split the cases and take a look at the transmission? should i investigate further to make sure everything else is secure? is this bike a lemon and about to explode? is it gonna shift right once i get a new one, and so it wont be stuck in between gears anymore and we will be good to go?

help me please.....

It looks to me that the phillips head is standard by looking at the fastener above the hole. However, either should work if there is sufficient clearance -be sure to clean the oil out of the bolt hole and use blue threadlocker. I would reassemble and run it to see if everything is okay, the only thing that could possibly happen is to bend a shift fork from jumping up and down on the shift lever.

there is no washer on that bolt, it just looks it, its fused onto the head of the bolt. so we're good there.

well i put it back together, and i keep trying to shift it with my fingers using the lever, and it wont move very much. how do i get it to shift while its like this? or is it not possible without a shift lever and the leverage it provides? thanks.

It will be very hard to shift without the extra leverage for sure. Something that would make it easier for you to shift would be to rotate the countershaft (front sprocket) while you are trying to shift. That will make it easier but still going to be hard without the shifter. You will most likely be fine. You were not putting excessive force on your shift forks because the bolt had you bound up. Hence the reason your shaft broke. I say buy you a new shift shaft, clean and threadlock your new friends there and go ridin! good luck and hope this helps.

DJ

It will be very hard to shift without the extra leverage for sure. Something that would make it easier for you to shift would be to rotate the countershaft (front sprocket) while you are trying to shift. That will make it easier but still going to be hard without the shifter. You will most likely be fine. You were not putting excessive force on your shift forks because the bolt had you bound up. Hence the reason your shaft broke. I say buy you a new shift shaft, clean and threadlock your new friends there and go ridin! good luck and hope this helps.

DJ

I would tend to agree.

I also have a 2005 model which I have had the pleasure of tearing into many more times than I would like to admit. :p On my bike those to bolts are regular bolts not phillips head! I just checked the parts out on the yamaha parts catalog on line and sure enough it shows six sided bolt heads, not phillips. Iw ould replace them with the correct one for sure! Good luck dude.

alright. then im gonna replace the shaft and put it back together and hope it works.

if it doesnt, i got my case splitter handy.

thanks for the advice. i appreciate it.

My 05 has bolts with a 8mm head, much like the tank shroud bolts. Also lots of locktite. I cleaned everything up with thread chasers, and then used medium strength Lock Tite on reassembly.

I also agree the shifter will be very hard to move without the help of the lever.

• Like 1

if there is enuf room to get vise grips on there that would give leverage like a shifter.

tried that. but im not gonna put vice grips inside the case.

there isnt enough shift shaft left to grab onto on the other side.

shifters aren't that hard to put on. just slip it on and try it out.

shifters aren't that hard to put on. just slip it on and try it out.

Did you see his pic? The end of the shift shaft broke off.

Did you see his pic? The end of the shift shaft broke off.

ha no i think he means he put it all together with a new shaft and everything and wanted to see if it worked without putting the shifter on in case he had to tear it apart again.

no i just ordered the parts for it today, and so they will probably be here by the end of the week. when they get here im gonna try it out, but for right now i cant do anymore work on that case. so im just gonna take apart the rear suspension, clean it all up, grease up all the bearings as well as the controls/radiators/frame. all that good stuff. make it look brand new again.

once i get it in ill resurrect this thread and tell you how it all works out. thanks for all the help.

Did you order new bolts? I think I would replace all of them. Someone has been in there before. Maybe a too soft bolt caused this in the first place? Those crap phillips heads wont go very tight without stripping.

Glad to find out this was not an oil related thing.

Did you order new bolts? I think I would replace all of them. Someone has been in there before. Maybe a too soft bolt caused this in the first place? Those crap phillips heads wont go very tight without stripping.

Glad to find out this was not an oil related thing.

ya, i got new hex bolts and some medium strength (blue) loctite, so we should be good in that department. also bought a bunch of gaskets and little other things as precautionary measures.

ya, im glad it wasnt oil too, otherwise i was gonna have to kill you. :p

ya, i got new hex bolts and some medium strength (blue) loctite, so we should be good in that department. also bought a bunch of gaskets and little other things as precautionary measures.

ya, im glad it wasnt oil too, otherwise i was gonna have to kill you. :p

And I would not have blamed ya!

The timing was odd. Did the previous owner have this same issue? I cannot imagine having to work on that part of the bike without reason.

i have no idea. ive rode the crap out of the bike for about 8 months now, so any half ass effort in the bottom end like that would have easily caused something like that to happen. i sent him an e-mail to ask if he knows anything, cause i dont wanna bolt it up if he knows something i dont. that would just be messed up.