Sign in to follow this  

2000-2001 CR 250 engine differences?

I keep hearing the 01 motor is king,i also hear the 01 motor with a 2000 carb is even better.What is the deal with these bikes,is the 01 CR250 a good bike just because it's engine or is there more to the 01 model than just the motor?Also i read on here where one man said the 2000 was better than the 01.Whats right,whats wrong, is it opinion or is there really to these stories and is there really a difference in the make up of the 2000 and 2001 motors internally?

Carb for one thing 2000 has a kehien while 01 has a Mikuni. The motors are real similar and considered the last of the great CR 250 engines.

Do you want to actually ride it or put it into your collection.That's some garage you have.Nice.

Collect it ,thats just a corner of my garage,i like bikes!

You can just check out the sticky listing the differences between the years about 4 down from the top of this 2 stroke thread. It has the 2000 and 2001 listed differences. I have a 2001 and have ridden a couple of 2000 cr's among others. The feel is not much different to me. In the eric gorr performance tuning book he lists the 2001 motor as a great bullit proof motor that is pretty radical.He says that most riders can't take advantage of it's full potential stock. When first got my bike I thought it was pretty radical but I also took it in some pretty rough trails and it worked fine. .. a little more clutch and roll on on at times...After all it is a Motocross bike anyway. Since then I have changed my bike into a moto/trail bike. It is the last generation of the same motor since 92 that has been refined so I guess it is the best evolution. The yamaha 250 motor is also supposed to be great too for the same reason. The honda case reed engine seems to have a bad reputation for not having much low end. I rode a 2006 cr and I found the lowend not too bad although 2005 and on is supposed to be much improved if you believe magazines at least:ride: .

As far as the carb goes : supposedly the tuning of the mikuni is harder than the keihin. I ordered the keihin and by the time it came in I had gotten the mikuni decently jetted mainly from word of mouth from the local honda dealer and other 01 riders. I put the keihin on with more other recommended jetting (and a little more adjustment) and it worked about as well,maybe a bit better(not much). I then started running half race gas and half premium and it ran pretty damn good . The word around here from 01 riders has always been that the keihin was much better to deal with than the mikuni. I didn't really have that experience. I have heard of others having good results with the jd kit for the mikuni. I was just lucky to have others go through the early jetting woes so I was able to get their jetting info. and get it in the ballpark. ..so I didn't have too much trouble getting it dialed in after that.