Sign in to follow this  

What is vintage ,whats collectable?

Will the kids of today in 10 or 20 years still be collecting 73 CR250's and 74 YZ's and other 70's 80's bike's or will they be the (Model A) of motorcross bikes and almost forgotton? Will they be replaced by the last of the 2 strokes and the early CRF's.I placed a few other threads asking about collectable bikes and i think one replied there really isnt anything through the 90's up till now that really stands out as collectable ,if thats true (and it might be ) what will the kids of today collect tomarrow? Other than maybe the first fuel injected or the last carbed model are they all the same? Maybe i think to much?

Just food for thought.

I would say the 98 YZ400F for obvious reasons, or 93 CR250, Mcgrath's favorite frame geometry.

In your 20's you want a brand new bike or the cool ones that you dad likes and you just might have the means to get it . In your 30's you've lost interest in that model and it's long gone . In your 40's you want back what you had in your 20's . and in your 50's you have the time and money to get what you wanted in your 40's ...Give or take 5 years on all of these . There you have the cycle.

So if I didn't want it or think it was cool from the time I was 12-25 I probably will not collect it later on in life . I have no interest in model A's or anything else from the 20's or 30's but my dad liked the 50's and 60's and

I lived my youth in the mid 70's , 80's , mid 90's. Now I'm in my 40's and those bikes and cars from Late 50's-late 80's are my knowledge base and are the ones I still think are cool and collectable. I'm pretty sure there are not many 12-25 year olds today that like that time frame or that will collect that time frame later in there lives.

But a CRF150R will be collectable 20 years from now. And maybe a TTR/DRZ125. and two stoke stuff. The magazines are already writing articles portraying the two stokes as the things that legends are made of and soon they won't be available.

Just my $.02

I agree with the above and will add something else as well. As we get older, we harken back to our childhood/younger days and go looking for that bike we'd always wanted as a teenager or actually had as a teen and never wish we'd sold. For me, it really is the old CR 125 that I absolutely hated as a teen (because I didn't use it as intended..tried to trail ride on it.:p ). I bought it for $250 and rode it for a season then sold it for $300. Wish I still had it, as it's probably now worth over $2000.

There's another school of vintage out there though, and these are the guys who will always look to the sport's beginnings. They'll still lust after the old BSA's Triumph's, and AJS's even thought they won't be old enough to remember them. Call 'em history buffs.

I have no interest in model A's or anything else from the 20's or 30's but my dad liked the 50's and 60's and

I lived my youth in the mid 70's , 80's , mid 90's. Now I'm in my 40's and those bikes and cars from Late 50's-late 80's are my knowledge base and are the ones I still think are cool and collectable. I'm pretty sure there are not many 12-25 year olds today that like that time frame or that will collect that time frame later in there lives.

I don't know about that, my old man wasn't even 20 when the '55 Chevy hit the showroom floor.

I would love to have a 55-57 3100 or Bel Air.

A 68 Nova was over a decade old when I was born, another car I'd love to have.

To the average man:

Vintage is anything you own and love to ride/drive but are afraid to ride because it's too expensive to fix if something breaks, but you ride it anyway.

Collectible is something you'd love to own and wouldn't ride because it's too expensive to fix and too valuable in it's current condition to mess up.

To the "I have more money than I know what to do with":

Vintage and collectible are items you own and use so that the commoners can drool over them in envy and you couldn't care less if it gets destroyed in the process. You probably can't use the items with any real competency, and no where near the potential of the machine, but you do it just so people are jealous.

I dont know -- i was barely alive when the first Elsinores came out-- and i would love to have on of those.

I was on minis when the big Maicos ruled the tracks and i would love to have one of those as well. Ditto a TT 500. and some of the other mid to late 70's dual sports.

You dont have to have direct ties to an era to lust after their products. I drove a '69 GMC in high school (by choice) when i had an '86 GMC in the garage (this was in 1989 and 1990)

As far as MX bikes go, who really cares about an '88 model dirt bike in the grand scheme of things? Very few people are restoring those -- i feel the bikes of today will be the same in 20 yrs too