Sign in to follow this  

What is this WR250F worth?

I looked at an 2001 model this morning. Knowing this when I went to look at it, the engine is in 1000 pieces in a box. The guy bought it used, rode it for 2 hours and threw a rod. I see that both case halves are broken, there is a piece missing out of the bottom of the cylinder and the rod is broken in half, but crank bearing is not seized. Knowing that new cases, crank assy, cylinder and piston assy retails for about $1000 and a new motor is at least $2000, I am trying to determine what this bike is worth. I am thinking that an 01-02 WR250F is worth about $2500 in running condition. The rest of the bike looks in great shape. Any idea what something in this condition is worth? Thanks.

Maybe $800.00. Because of the age and cost to rebuild a catastrophic engine failure, I'd look for a used engine someplace. They go for between $1K and $1.5. If it were me, I would not get involved unless I wanted to part the frame and other parts out.

id say if you fixed the motor and try to sell it you would be lucky to get 1700 for it. 2 years and its going to be 10 years old. id offer the guy like 200 for it and sell the wheel if they are in good shape they should bring in $400 for the pair and what ever else is good on the bike

make him give you the dam thing for your fuel to get his failed project out of his garage!

and if that doesnt work toss him a hundy

But not more than $200...... Split cases? Bro

who knows his experiance level?........Run!

I just bought a 2006 YZ250F in good shape for $2,500 I'd say it wouldnt evenbe worth what it would cost to fix it.

I would maybe $200 tops - like above. I would be looking at it for what you could sell the parts for.

You will spend half the Summer trying to get it to run would be my guess. Take your money and buy a running bike - an old 2 stoke or whatever and go play!

Heck use the cash you make parting this out to buy a bike.

Good luck and Ride Safe!!

I think iron maiden said it best in their song...Run For The Hills! I bought an already running 01 yz250 "2 stroke" for 700 and when it was all said and done replacing old worn out parts and the top and bottom end. I had 1,800 into it. don't waste your time.

The last bike I bought in a box I gave 200 for, the cylinder had been bored, crank was good, everything was there ready to go back together. I bought it, built it, and rode it for a year and gave it to my Bro-n-law and he's still riding it. Hot Rods crank $200, cases between 50 and 150, cylinder in good shape 150, piston and all, 125, gasket set, 75. Unknown is the head. If it didn't get the head, its worth something. If you do it, expect the worst and just do it for the experience. If hard parts went into the tranny, (sounds like they could have) walk away.

Back at the first post- A bike like this in running shape is NOT worth $2500. For $2500, the 01-02 would have to be just like brand spanking new with less than ten hours.

IMO, for the $2500, you should be really close to paying for a nice 03-06 which are MUCH better bikes than the 01-02.

Bottom line, buy that blown up bike for cheap and sell the good parts on Ebay, and then toss the rest of the stuff in the dump.

I would say 600 cash.

you could part it out and bring in around $800 in parts alone.

id say if you fixed the motor and try to sell it you would be lucky to get 1700 for it. 2 years and its going to be 10 years old. id offer the guy like 200 for it and sell the wheel if they are in good shape they should bring in $400 for the pair and what ever else is good on the bike

Not if he fixes it up. We bought mine for 2100$ and we put a good 5 grand into it. Now the dealer estimates its worth a good 6.5 grand :p BTW, its a 2001

Not if he fixes it up. We bought mine for 2100$ and we put a good 5 grand into it. Now the dealer estimates its worth a good 6.5 grand :) BTW, its a 2001

your dealer is a liar, NOBODY would pay that for it, and I know thats far above kelly blue book.

off road 4 me, I saw that engine in the classifieds and it was still available, as of last week. That was going to be the card up my sleeve. I thought if I could buy the bike for $500 and that engine for $500 and spend a little money checking the bike and engine over, I would have a decent bike. I have yet to hear from the owner after I made my offer. Must have insulted him too bad. It has sat in his garage since 2004, I guess he can push it back in there, if he thinks he is going to get $1500 for it. Thanks to all for the replies. I will keep update anything new.

Not if he fixes it up. We bought mine for 2100$ and we put a good 5 grand into it. Now the dealer estimates its worth a good 6.5 grand :) BTW, its a 2001

sorry to tell you but you could put 20 grand into your 2001 bike and no one will give you more then 2grand in there right mind. also a bike is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it:thumbsup:

off road 4 me, I saw that engine in the classifieds and it was still available, as of last week. That was going to be the card up my sleeve. I thought if I could buy the bike for $500 and that engine for $500 and spend a little money checking the bike and engine over, I would have a decent bike. I have yet to hear from the owner after I made my offer. Must have insulted him too bad. It has sat in his garage since 2004, I guess he can push it back in there, if he thinks he is going to get $1500 for it. Thanks to all for the replies. I will keep update anything new.

id wait, theres no way he will ever get that, sit it out, he will happily take 500 in a month I bet you.