Sign in to follow this  

Spine Protection vs Back Protection

I have an Alpinestars textile jacket with a CE approved back protector . Its a flat slab of foam (?) that slips into a pocket in the back of the jacket. Would a spine / back protector, such as the Joe Rocket Speedmaster Back Protector, be a worthwhile upgrade in protection ? I would appreciate any recommendations or advice. Thanks

I tried wearing my separate back protector as it covers you up much better. Way to hot because it straps down tight verses the pad in jackets that moves around some. The jacket leaves the tail bone and lower back exposed but is all i can stand. Usually just throw on the jacket for pure offroad rather than a chest protector for the elbow armour and lack of forearm cuts.

I wear a seperate spine protector under my normal riding jacket on the street (or under my leathers on the track) all the time. Once I got it broken in, I never even knew it was there anymore (but I feel instantly feel naked without it). It's an IXS back protector.

Off road and D/S, I use a full mesh under-shirt armor that has hard plastic chest/back/shoulder/arm protection.