Sign in to follow this  

Cornering Advice and Techniques?

I am a relatively new rider with a fair amount of natural talent. I am getting ready for my first race and would like some advice on cornering technique.

Really the only advice we can give you is to practice practice and yeah more practice. There are quite a few threads on the forum covering your question, I see that this is your first post, So do a search in this section under cornering and you will have a ton of reading to do. HAVE FUN and be SAFE!

get forward near the tank when coming into the corner and put out your inside leg. You can drag front brake to keep the front tire in the rut.

Thanks to those of you who had something constructive to say, the rest of you squeebs need to ride more

Best advice is to get lessons, I advanced more in 4 weeks with lessons than I did in 2 years of studying videos and articles. If there isn't a good instructor available the next best thing would be to find a fast guy and ask or offer to pay him for advice. Its so much easier to improve when you have someone telling you what you're doing wrong right after you do it, then tell you exactly what to do different.

keep it pinned for as long as possible, break hard, sit up on the tank, outside elbow out, weighting the outside peg, inside leg out and forward, steady on the throttle, dont grab ahandful of front brake when inside the corner, once out the corner pin it hard

One thing that helps, especially in rutted corners, is to not look too close to your front fender, or look at the rut right in front of you. You will be much faster if you look way out in front of you. I look at the exit of the rut as soon as I get the front tire in the beginning of the rut.

get forward near the tank when coming into the corner and put out your inside leg. You can drag front brake to keep the front tire in the rut.

I had the same questions and this will help alot

The most fun I have cornering is when I get the bike loose and put the tires where I want instead of letting the bike push or slide where it wants to go.

Don't be afraid twist and turn the bars, and lean to make the bike really carve the ground.

Also, I find that setting my upper body early in a position that I allows me to put force into the high side of the bike really helps with cornering.

Especially for novice rider there is a lot of benefit to braking early before the turn and then getting on the gas to steer the bike around the corner.