Sign in to follow this  

2009 TE Open/Closed Loop

Has anyone with a 2009 TE tried running the bike derestricted but with the lambda sensor in place (closed loop)? I wonder what the tradeoff is between power, fuel economy and how the bike runs?

It would be nice if running in closed loop mode would yield 40+mpg whereas running in open loop you might see 30 mpg depending on model.

It seems like everyone with a 2008 ran the power up kit in open loop mode. Lots of power but not the best fuel economy. Maybe the 2009's function identically, maybe not. If anyone here has tried the bike both ways, please comment.

Greg

Greg- I am getting an 09te450 on Monday, I will have them set up with power up kit- I have searched a lot on EFI on the 08, 09's. I have not seen a report as such: The closest is Birdman on Cafe- who said he put the midpipe baffle back in on his 09, and liked his results. Not alot of reports from guys with 09's yet- I hope they are just having too much fun riding to talk about it...:p

I will share my experiences as my bike gets broke in and set up- I hope to have a bike that runs as good/ better than a jetted FCR with a tuned AP. That's my first goal. Mileage is important to me too with the small tank- but 2nd to performance.

Greg- I am getting an 09te450 on Monday, I will have them set up with power up kit- I have searched a lot on EFI on the 08, 09's. I have not seen a report as such: The closest is Birdman on Cafe- who said he put the midpipe baffle back in on his 09, and liked his results. Not alot of reports from guys with 09's yet- I hope they are just having too much fun riding to talk about it...:p

I will share my experiences as my bike gets broke in and set up- I hope to have a bike that runs as good/ better than a jetted FCR with a tuned AP. That's my first goal. Mileage is important to me too with the small tank- but 2nd to performance.

Thanks. I would expect to run the bike without the exhaust and air filter restrictor and only toggle between closed and open loop.

Greg

Mines an 08 610 so dont know if it helps you alot however I did run mine with the sensor in and a LV pipe for a while. I noticed a power increase however it was so lean that it popped badly on decel. The plug actually was white with ash. It did get 60 mpg however.

With the sensor bypassed I picked up a very noticable power increase and have a nice tan plug. Mileage dropped to 42 MPG. With a 3 gallon tank I have a range of around 120 miles and though not great, its not too bad.

If your going to try to run with a pipe and the sensor I would recommend finding someone with a I Beat setup and richen it up all the way through the range. I think you can squeak out some better mileage and still get enough fuel in the mix to make it run right.

Don't the '09s have an option for a handlebar switch to choose which fuel map to run with? If so, does that solve the problem?

I talked to my dealer about the bar switch and he said he still isn't 100% sure how it impacts the mapping. It had only arrived that day and he hadn't had a chance to hook it up yet. It would be nice if it did toggle between max power and max mpg.

Greg

George posted this a few days ago (on CafeHusky):

Pos#1 is normal #2 just drops the ign advance so it signs off at around 6000 rpm and goes flat. What some call Traction Control. Where would you use it? comming up to a section of real slick mud where wheel spin is a no no, steep nasty up hill where excessive wheel spin just makes things worse. When you use it and shut the bike off it reverts to the #1 position. Later George

Wow, if my 250 signed off at 6000rpm I'd be stopping. :p From Jorge's description the switch/map sounds totally lame to me.

Wow, if my 250 signed off at 6000rpm I'd be stopping. :ride: From Jorge's description the switch/map sounds totally lame to me.

totally depends on the terrain being ridden on - alot of riders could probably live without that option. I can see using in some greasy bumpy rocky off camber sections- :p its basicaly "throttle ensure" rather than "throttle control" which if you have enough of again probably wont need-

ehh... its a 25$ option

if they come out with the Power commander V (there have been some reports that they won't) that has a dual map switch too. user defined

Greg- right now I am in gentle break in mode- just got mine.

But- Heinens told me to leave the lamba sensor in- so its a closed loop. So far in magazines all the writers' go on and on about how perfect the Husabergs (Dirt Bike) are with the magical "closed loop efi" and with husky everyone talks about taking tha landa off and making it open loop... I've read the ibeat efi threads and such... I will have to see what works- plus the 09s apparently are supposed to have slightly different maps than the 08's....

Heinens suggest doing the power-up and leaving it in. That's what I plan to do initially here and try it without later... However- I kept my "mid pipe baffle" cattalic converter thingy in at this point. I have the rest done.

So can I just put the plug in and switch back and forth without Ibeat checking?

I would definitely take out the catalytic converter as the bike will breathe better and run cooler. Also make sure they put the real air filter cage on the bike for you.

How is the power Lambda in and how well does the bike run? I want to get a new 2009 soon. If the 450 can get 60 miles on a tank with Lambda in (closed loop), makes good power and runs well without overheating, that is the route I may take.

Greg

I would definitely take out the catalytic converter as the bike will breathe better and run cooler. Also make sure they put the real air filter cage on the bike for you.

How is the power Lambda in and how well does the bike run? I want to get a new 2009 soon. If the 450 can get 60 miles on a tank with Lambda in (closed loop), makes good power and runs well without overheating, that is the route I may take.

Greg

Yes the midpipe is hotter than most- probably because of the converter-

mine has throttle stop off, air restrictor off- normal air cage in, sparky in, landa conbected, and like I said converter is still in.

I have 60 miles on the bike (most was yesterday)- so not broken in yet. I must have gotten fairly good gas milage because I filled it before I left and haven't ran out of gas yet. I have not measured my gas usage yet- but I also have only been doing light break in- keeping it under 5500 rpm, so my current mpg wouldn't matter in the real world. I will take the converter off and report back once it is getting some trail work- single track. Then I will give you some mpg.

It is running really good now with current set up but hasn't really been tested yet, one thing I notice is how smooth it pulls from the bottom and is strong there- like it has tons of torq and the motor wants to keep going. That aspect makes me thingk single trac trail will be awesome!

Its going to take me awhile to accomplish proper break in and get my parts so I can take on some good single track- guards, hand and radiator, and skid. I am just lucky I have the bike. I really like it. It seams like it will be great once set up and broken in.

For me my goal is the same as yours- I kinda expect a bike to go 50-55 miles on a tank in a mix of single and two track- and don't want a big tank, Hopefully, I will have my cake and eat it too, if I have to- I guess I will figure out what to do with some MSR bottles. If it does 35-40 miles pure single track that would probably work for me...

Yes the midpipe is hotter than most- probably because of the converter-

mine has throttle stop off, air restrictor off- normal air cage in, sparky in, landa conbected, and like I said converter is still in.

I have 60 miles on the bike (most was yesterday)- so not broken in yet. I must have gotten fairly good gas milage because I filled it before I left and haven't ran out of gas yet. I have not measured my gas usage yet- but I also have only been doing light break in- keeping it under 5500 rpm, so my current mpg wouldn't matter in the real world. I will take the converter off and report back once it is getting some trail work- single track. Then I will give you some mpg.

It is running really good now with current set up but hasn't really been tested yet, one thing I notice is how smooth it pulls from the bottom and is strong there- like it has tons of torq and the motor wants to keep going. That aspect makes me thingk single trac trail will be awesome!

Its going to take me awhile to accomplish proper break in and get my parts so I can take on some good single track- guards, hand and radiator, and skid. I am just lucky I have the bike. I really like it. It seams like it will be great once set up and broken in.

For me my goal is the same as yours- I kinda expect a bike to go 50-55 miles on a tank in a mix of single and two track- and don't want a big tank, Hopefully, I will have my cake and eat it too, if I have to- I guess I will figure out what to do with some MSR bottles. If it does 35-40 miles pure single track that would probably work for me...

A buddy of mine with the 2008 that is completely de-restricted gets about 45 miles in tight, aggressive single track. If Lambda in results in 60/tank, that would be cool.

Also, I carry MSR fuel bottles all the time. I get sick of all that weight on my back and would prefer a vest to a backpack and would recommend that to anybody carrying anything more than a hydration pack.

Greg

Wow, if my 250 signed off at 6000rpm I'd be stopping. :) From Jorge's description the switch/map sounds totally lame to me.

Wouldn't think it signs off at 6k like a rev limiter, but just stagnates the advance curve so less power is made above 6. Takes some of the hit out might be a better description.

Wouldn't think it signs off at 6k like a rev limiter, but just stagnates the advance curve so less power is made above 6. Takes some of the hit out might be a better description.

That sounds more reasonable than my first impression of signing off like a limiter. I'd rather it switch between fuel maps, one for specials, and the other for liaisons between to save fuel when the power/performance is not needed. Perhaps it does this.

Lean on the sensor and rich on the map alone, I suspect. My friends 250 was fat and ran better when JD took some fuel away with a programmer. Hopefully he'll weigh in on his mpg if he see's this? I know he said it gave it more snap and ran better.

Lean on the sensor and rich on the map alone, I suspect. My friends 250 was fat and ran better when JD took some fuel away with a programmer. Hopefully he'll weigh in on his mpg if he see's this? I know he said it gave it more snap and ran better.

yea seems the lamda sensor leans the basic map from what I have read- thus why greg seemes interested in the MPG/ performance with PWr KIT in and lamda in for best of both worlds so to speak...

question- so if I am breaking in a new bike- and keeping under 5500 rpm, should I take the lamda out so the AF mix is more rich than lean- seems I would want to break in with a enrichend AF rather than a Leaner AF- heat and such??

Wouldn't worry about it, if it was scary lean it would buck and surge and misfire. on decel. You'd be suprised how lean they allow cars to run because thier mass masks the ill run quality of being lean.

Not sure how husky is doing it. But just because it has a o2 doesn't really mean it runs closed loop? The o2 sensor could just provide another axis on a 3D fuel map. With it disconnected the map could just be going 2D. Without the input of the o2 the whole curve shifts rich. So the solution may be to manipilate the o2 signal (mV) to shift the curve richer but still leave it intact. In other words send the processor a 16:1 voltage when it's really sensing 15:1.

yea seems the lamda sensor leans the basic map from what I have read- thus why greg seemes interested in the MPG/ performance with PWr KIT in and lamda in for best of both worlds so to speak...

question- so if I am breaking in a new bike- and keeping under 5500 rpm, should I take the lamda out so the AF mix is more rich than lean- seems I would want to break in with a enrichend AF rather than a Leaner AF- heat and such??

I would say don't take the lambda out because if by some rare event your bike fails in the early going the evidence of you taking the lambda out will be in the ECU and the factory will likely void the warranty. Otherwise, I'd say there was some sense in the bike running a little richer while it was breaking in.