Sign in to follow this  

Tank Dents

Just got my tt 500 tank back and every dent has come out great, now a good flat polish and paint and just the job for my restoration.

100_0007-1.jpgtttank1.jpg100_0006.jpgtttank3.jpg

Looks really good, where idd you send it and how much?

Swiss

Wow, looks good. I'd have to do my tank up too. Mine resembles a golf ball though

That video is absolutely amazing, as is your tank. He must have drilled a hole in the bottom of the tank in the video, he definitely wasn't going in through the gas filler with his magic wand.

Do you see any evidence of holes in the back, or maybe where he split and rewelded a seam?

I did a Photoshop overlay of the top right side seam at the front of the tank and it is the same weld. It does look like he is going into the bottom of the left side near the middle of the tank in the video. Of course, that was a different tank. This tank has those NASTY dents form the fork tubes on both sides of the tank at the front. With the offset of the gas cap to the right hand siude, that would make getting to the dents on the left side pretty difficult. Not necesarily impossible, but tough. Of course, he could have used a torch to soften the aluminum before working on it, especially on this tank because it is completely polished and no paint to worry about. Working the dents out would harden the material up again by work hardening the metal during reshaping. It certainly would have been easier to get to the lower side areas through the bottom seam and then reweld.

Swiss

At just a little beyond 1/2 way through the video he takes an adjuster rod/shaft and inserts it underneath the left side of the tank and then starts working it back and forth under the tank. He has to either have a hole drilled or a seam opened up in order to gain access to the inside of the tank so that he can work the dent out.

Swiss

No doesnt break seams has holes on the inner sides to get the tool in,then when finished rewelds back up all in all a good job and with work being done on the inner sides you cant tell as you never see there.

you can also do it this way even if your tank is painted with no damage to paintwork.

That's an amazing transformation.

Wow, looks good. I'd have to do my tank up too. Mine resembles a golf ball though
That sounds about right.

Custom metal work in natural candy apple red is how I refer to it.

I don't know if it's just me but beneath me there must be some XT550-gastank-attracting force that just wants to grab the tank. Thus, all the dents, for all the times I've let that force have its way. Mine isn't candy apple though, it's more like dented-bleached-red-perforated-goJuice-tank. Or something to that effect...

Any chance that you could shoot a pic or two of the area where he put the holes? I am curious if he just drilled a hole or cut a slit and pealed it back to work then welded it back up?

Swiss

tank at work, cut 4 round holes about 2 cm around the under part of tank and then rewelded them back in when finished.

Thanks, I have a CR125 tank that needs work and I am sure that I can do the smoothing on it but I needed to have an idea of what kind of area to work through with the tools. One of the machinists here in town can do excellent Tig welding and I can have him put the pieces back together when I am done.

Swiss

GMADD, the tank looks great! I found that video a few weeks ago. It is inspiring to see what can be done, and I was thinking I'd like to try my hand at that (I used to do a bit of metal sculpting in my younger days) but I found the tools required to do this work are not cheap, and there are skills involved that take training and experience. I guess I'll continue to live with my dented XT500 tank.

My hours keep dropping at work, I'm down to 24 hours per week. If this keeps up I won't be worrying about dents at all, I'll have to sell the bike to pay bills. Ughh...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PDR+TOOLS&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

798.jpg

Just added a bit of paint and ready to be polished up. 100_0001-1.jpg100_0002-1.jpg

100_0002-2.jpgJust polished and added decals,just needs lacquering.turned out good considering the condition when started. 100_0003-1.jpg