Sign in to follow this  

USD fork spring rate for XR4

Maybe I'm over-simplifying, but it seems to me that what ever rate you'd use for your ride weight in the stock fork, you'd use in the CR forks. That would mean checking Race Techs site for what springs are recommended for your weight under the XR, then get that rate in springs to fit the CR forks.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying, but it seems to me that what ever rate you'd use for your ride weight in the stock fork, you'd use in the CR forks. That would mean checking Race Techs site for what springs are recommended for your weight under the XR, then get that rate in springs to fit the CR forks.

maybe, i just don't know if that would transfer over between the different fork types.

I would not go with race techs,wait till you get reply form someone that has done it.

that is what i was thinking. why not race techs?

I was just thinking that the springs hold up the weight of the bike, they're function between fork types don't change. It's the damping that's different.

We had race techs susp front and rear on many bikes.There chart does not have a clue where you ride.What may work in WA,wont work in baja.Long story short we wasted alot of money.Get info from someone on thumper that has done it.Also where they ride,woods,mx,desert,trail,or!

We had race techs susp front and rear on many bikes.There chart does not have a clue where you ride.What may work in WA,wont work in baja.Long story short we wasted alot of money.Get info from someone on thumper that has done it.Also where they ride,woods,mx,desert,trail,or!

alright thanks. i mean it feels pretty close in the front, just not quite right. I might call TBT racing and find out what they have to say.

thanks again.

I am 185 and put .46 springs in and its pretty close for me. I am an A super senior rider.

I am 185 and put .46 springs in and its pretty close for me. I am an A super senior rider.

hmm. i need to calculate in my weight on top of that, seeing how i have about 45 pounds on you lol. maybe .48 might be better.

Rockjocky if you are watching, what springs do you have in yours?

My 1992 Cr125 forks from e-bay have JN Innovations stickers on them, I only added the stiffer springs after I got them mounted. They work awesome for me.

There is no quick easy answer, as others said, where you ride and how you ride determine what spring rate is appropriate. In addition:

The weight on the front wheel is the combined bike weight and rider weight, a CR has a lighter front end than a XR so will use lighter springs for the same riding.

Trail riding uses a much lighter springs than MX.

Fast riders use stiffer springs.

Long travel forks can use softer springs than short travel forks for the same riding conditions.

My suggestion is to use the CR forks with stock springs for a few test rides to see how they feel compared to the XR front end. Sag measurements will also help you determine any needed preload changes.

There is no quick easy answer, as others said, where you ride and how you ride determine what spring rate is appropriate. In addition:

The weight on the front wheel is the combined bike weight and rider weight, a CR has a lighter front end than a XR so will use lighter springs for the same riding.

Trail riding uses a much lighter springs than MX.

Fast riders use stiffer springs.

Long travel forks can use softer springs than short travel forks for the same riding conditions.

My suggestion is to use the CR forks with stock springs for a few test rides to see how they feel compared to the XR front end. Sag measurements will also help you determine any needed preload changes.

Yeah the springs that are in it are actually stock springs. I am going riding this coming weekend and will see. I do mostly trail riding and i would say that i am a lower intermediate rider. I haven't ridden the old battle axe in a while so it should be interesting. thanks guys!