Sign in to follow this  

Ohio guys: Opportunity to keep trails we got, maybe get more?

The catch is we have to show up and get involved!!

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=668

Ohio is one of the most popular states in the country for off-road vehicle sales and recreation. To identify the issues and needs of motorized users of the state's public trails systems, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Office of Trails will hold meetings in four locations around the state, including one sponsored by the AMA and near the Association's offices in Pickerington.

The meetings will help the Office of Trails as it compiles the standalone Motorized Trails Plan for Ohio, which will provide a vision for the next three to five years that will help guide the Office as it addresses the needs of Ohio's trail users.

"With four locations around the state, there will be ample opportunity for off-road enthusiasts to interface with representatives of the Office of Trails," said Royce Wood, AMA government affairs manager. "To make our concerns known, it's important that trail users participate in these meetings and assist officials as they craft the Motorized Trails Plan for Ohio."

Wood also noted that this represents an opportunity to expand public trail options in the state. According to a press release issued by the Office of Trails, officials are also "making a recommitment to increasing the statewide acreage of motorized riding areas in Ohio as requested by the state’s motorized trail community."

Dates and locations are below. For more information about the forums, please contact Dameyon Shipley in the Office of Trails at (614) 265-6646.

March 11, 6 – 8 p.m.

Cleveland Metroparks Canalway Visitors Center

4524 E. 49th Street Entrance

Cleveland, OH 44125

216-206-1000

March 17, 6 – 8 p.m.

Kenneth F. McMahon Hall

Mill Creek MetroParks Farm

7574 Columbiana-Canfield Road (SR 46)

Canfield, OH 44406

330-702-3000

March 19, 6 – 8 p.m. (sponsored by the American Motorcyclist Association)

Marcus Cinema

1776 Hill Rd N. (SR 256)

Pickerington, OH 43147

800-262-5646

March 24, 6 – 8 p.m.

Wayne National Forest Headquarters

13700 U.S. HWY 33

Nelsonville, OH 45764

740-753-0101

I'm going to the first one in CLeveland to check it out. Anyone else coming to support trail riding in Ohio??

Definitely I would like to support it if even residential alien like me could be of help. But my problem is that it takes 4-5 hours for me to get there and back even the nearest location...

Honuki, I'll try and make the Cleveland one also. I'm gonna send you a PM.

Mark-san, if you cant make it check your contact list and see who you know that might beable to make it. I know you guys have a lot of people you ride with from different areas so hopefully 1 of the 4 meeting they could make. I am going to the first one in Cleveland to get my take on what is up and I may even go to the second one in Canfield Oh. I'll let you guys know what the general gist of the meeting is. Keep on roostin!

Sorry I couldn't make it to the meeting, I'm really under the weather. So what was the news???

Here is my update from the meeting last night:

Never been to anything like this before to know what to compare it to. The turnout was probably 40-50, with some of those being quad riders, snowmobile riders, dirt bikes and dual sports.

I did hear a lot of people say this is the closest we have ever been to having state lands designated as off road areas. The ODNR is leading this effort and from what I understand in the past they wanted nothing to do with off road areas.

The ODNR is looking at 2 areas right now north of I-70, probably 500-1000 acres each. The feedback from the group was that they need to look at areas north of I-80, not I-70. There was talk of the Ravenna arsenal, but it didn't sound too positive.

If you guys know of any areas that would be potential acquisitions for the ODNR let them know.

On the down side, there is a bill in the house now to increase offroad sticker fees from $8 to $23 and require quads to have license plates (similar to PA).