DR650 Off Road Mods

Hi,

Last week I picked up a used 2007 DR650 in very good shape. I didn't do much research before buying becuase it was a good deal that came up out of the blue and I jumped on it.

I purchased the bike mostly to ride off road on some fairly rough trails. I would have liked a full on dirt bike (like I used to have), but really had no way to transport it and thought this would be a good compromise.

Driving it home on the road, it seems great. I also took a few laps around my house (until my wife yelled at me for riding in the grass). So far, I really like it.

My question is, how will I like this bike off road? Are there mods I need to do for tight trails and fairly steep hill climbs? I'm not expecting it to be a moto-x bike, but hope it will be adequate in the woods.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

DK

I would order some gold valve emulators for the front forks and do some searches on the rear shock upgrade. there is everything from changing the shock oil weight to revalves to replacements but the rear shock sucks in stock form. Outside of the suspension there is alot of options for carb upgrades also,dynojet kit,TM40 flatside,FCR carb.Just start searching this website and advrider.com.

Hi C6, welcome to TT,

As far as how you will like the bike off road, well that will probably depend on your experience. I'm short at 5'6" but handle the DR quite well, keeping up with guys on DRZ400's. That being said the bike is a handful when it gets real technical or slippery (running the half-worn Trail Wing front and a new Avon Gripster rear certainly didn't help). I had to slow a bit more over the rough stuff, the bike would bottom easily and the lack of rear rebound dampening had the seat smacking me in the a$$ at times.

Suspension and tires have been covered, so I will recommend that you look into a few products that will save your bike: A skid plate and some case guards to protect the motor; aluminum hand guards to protect levers and help resist bars being bent; A rear rack that extends past the signal lights helps protect them and lets you strap stuff on; and maybe a guard for the rear brake cylinder.

Another cheap item that will help is a 14 tooth front sprocket, the stock is 15 and a bit too high for off road stuff. I have 14, 15, and 16 tooth sprockets that I can use depending on what type of riding I'll be doing, 10-15 minutes and I'm good to go using the same chain. ?

as you start to push the dr off-road you'll realize it is a compromise. you'll never ride is like a focused off-road bike, but...

14 tooth front sproket (maybe even lower gearing), skid plate & case guards http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/Engine_Guards/guards-main-frameset.htm should be your first mods.

i had cogent http://motocd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=1

do a complete front and rear suspension work and that made it like butta off-road.

Don't forget to upsize the footpegs. There is a cheap yet good plug and play footpeg on ebay.

?:ride:

great pegs! $18. nice ims copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-FOOT-PEGS-SUZUKI-DR-250-350-650-DR250-DR350-DR650_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem180331438374QQitemZ180331438374QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

get 4 longer peg carrier mount(to-frame) bolts and 8 oversized washers (place inboard & outboard) and eliminate the rubber washer downward flex of the pegs when you stand on them.

this is my ride so far. it can do 85% of what my xr can off-road and i'm happy with that. i use it as my adv ride/tour bike.

pic019u.jpg

after suspension work it'll huff stuff like this all day long at speed. expecting to rail knarley single-track or hard-core jeep roads? you bought the wrong bike! drz400s are street legal and better off-road bikes.

pic001small.jpg

keeping up with guys on DRZ400's.

bugger that I can keep up with guys on CRF/WR/WRF/EXC/TE/TM/FE/YZ/YZF 250/300/360/400/450/525/550 whatever the hell you want :ride:

even pass a few of them sometimes, nothing like barrelling down single track on a 160kg bike complete with lights and mirrors and overtaking some bike revving its tits off and your only in 2nd gear @ 3000rpm ?

You absolutely, must, no matter what get your suspension redone! this is the only thing that WILL hold you back. You really don't have to go overboard though, springs alone will do the job. The rear won't track as well without a revalve so - surprisingly - you won't keep up in the fast stuff where theres woops and ruts cause the ass end will be following them not bouncing straight over. But you'll be able to smash them in even the tight'er' stuff IF your a capable rider. If your doing a lot of 80kph+ get a revalve as well

2nd is tyres, of course, though I don't consider that a mod

Then comes the usual, dynojet kit or pumper carb, 14t front sprocket (wouldn't bother going much lower, just learn to use the torque it'll haul your ass around without even breaking a sweat), GSXR can, bash plate etc...

Fly piggy fly...

If your handy than take some time before you do your mods and consider all the options, ie the emulator and or progressive springs for your forks are going to cost you 100 to 150 bucks each! i bought a set of used RM250 inverted forks with all the trimmings off of fleabay for 300 and that in my opinion is a way better fork upgrade! the rear spring is often replaced and its another 100 bucks, but lots of people say leave the stock on and change the shock oil to 10 wght which is 20 bucks and some time? and the stock carb can be jetted for about 50-75 bucks from dynojet or if you are lucky you may find a used flatside for around 150 on ebay and that again is the ultimate carb upgrade! the exhaust needs to be upgraded and a fmfQ is 300 bucks or if your lucky you can get a 2001 GSXR 1000 can off of ebay for anywhere between 50 and 150 bucks and its just as good doesn't burn out and looks nice too, so unless your loaded research first or you will become addicted to farkling like the rest of us and if your like me you will end up changing things a few times until you end up whith what you want and that gets expensive!?

you will become addicted to farkling like the rest of us and if your like me you will end up changing things a few times until you end up whith what you want and that gets expensive!?

define expensive?

What I love is even after buying an immaculate bike for $6000 and putting $1500 into mods it's still cheaper than buying a KTM, XR or just about any bike of comparable age. Then consider the running costs. You put a comparable bike (lets say a KTM 625SXC) on the road, or anywhere and it will cost you more. Mostly because of oil you'll be changing it at 500k's vs about 3000k's on the DR, that right there is 6x more expensive in oil and is the biggest running cost factor. Another one is the cush drive, i've gotten so far about 27,500k's out of the stock chain and sprockets in every type of terrain and conditions including wet sand. I would have chucked it around 4000k's otherwise, tyres also last a bit longer

If you buy it as a weekend/monthly basher only it probly doesn't matter too much but if your like me and ride it every day, everywhere, then it's a terrific buy and exceptional value for money. A purpose built dirt bike is better on dirt, no question about it (don't think it makes you faster or a better rider though, it doesn't, I can usually hang with any bike a lot of the time). But I love that I can just take my DR with no matter whats on it, ride to a ride, ride the ride, then ride home without having to worry about anything and i'll know it'll fire up each and every time without question. Infact I make a habbit of not dirtifying it in any way and leave it as is, mirrors and all. I get a kind of sick satisfaction out of knowing I can throw a big fat lounge chair around

Hi,

Last week I picked up a used 2007 DR650 in very good shape. I didn't do much research before buying becuase it was a good deal that came up out of the blue and I jumped on it.

I purchased the bike mostly to ride off road on some fairly rough trails. I would have liked a full on dirt bike (like I used to have), but really had no way to transport it and thought this would be a good compromise.

Driving it home on the road, it seems great. I also took a few laps around my house (until my wife yelled at me for riding in the grass). So far, I really like it.

My question is, how will I like this bike off road? Are there mods I need to do for tight trails and fairly steep hill climbs? I'm not expecting it to be a moto-x bike, but hope it will be adequate in the woods.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

DK

Welcome ........if all you want is your dr to be adequate in the woods then it will do that right out of the box....dunlop 606s or equivalent is better than the Trail wings...... but ride it and mod it the way it suits you.....that is how we all do it here..........any questions...ask.....

Dirtbag:thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the great advice!

Some of the places I'm going to ride are pretty rough (rutted logging roads, gas lines, and some fairly steep climbs), so maybe I should have gotten the DRZ400. But I got a good deal on this one and I'm going to give it a try.

I went ahead and ordered the foot pegs, thanks for the link!

Where is the best place to get a 14 tooth sprocket?

Also, one thing I noticed on the road was that I couldn't see anything behind me in the mirrors because they are in so close. Anyone know of an aftermarket mirror or extension that would work?

Thanks again!

DK

Also, one thing I noticed on the road was that I couldn't see anything behind me in the mirrors because they are in so close. Anyone know of an aftermarket mirror or extension that would work?

Thanks again!

DK

look for a 10mm thread mirror extension on ebay or somewhere. Any 10mm thread mirrors will work as long as they aren't left hand threaded

The places I'm going to ride are pretty rough (rutted logging roads, gas lines, and some pretty steep climbs), so maybe I should have gotten the DRZ400. But I got a good deal on this one and I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again!

DK

call Jesse @ Kientech for the sprocket and a free education......he is "the man" on the DR650 and DR350. He'll give you some great advice to help you along:thumbsup:

http://www.kientech.com/

hope this helps:banana:

happyriding !!

?:ride:

Start out with the basics: Get a Skid plate and Moose Racing bark busters, the stock hand gaurds are pieces of crap..then do the shock upgrades & get a FMF slip on pipe, re-jet the carb..etc etc.

Order the skip plate from the suzuki website..

order the Moose here: http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1801&product_group_id=7256

i've got black ones in my DR, fits perfect

I would say go get the bigger fuel tank, but that's gonna add more weight..and you don't want that for harsh trail rides.

you'll want some ken sean fold-in-able dual sport mirors.

Some of the places I'm going to ride are pretty rough (rutted logging roads, gas lines, and some fairly steep climbs), so maybe I should have gotten the DRZ400. But I got a good deal on this one and I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again!

DK

bugger that I can keep up with guys on CRF/WR/WRF/EXC/TE/TM/FE/YZ/YZF 250/300/360/400/450/525/550 whatever the hell you want?

even pass a few of them sometimes, nothing like barrelling down single track on a 160kg bike complete with lights and mirrors and overtaking some bike revving its tits off and your only in 2nd gear @ 3000rpm :ride:

You absolutely, must, no matter what get your suspension redone! this is the only thing that WILL hold you back. You really don't have to go overboard though, springs alone will do the job. The rear won't track as well without a revalve so - surprisingly - you won't keep up in the fast stuff where theres woops and ruts cause the ass end will be following them not bouncing straight over. But you'll be able to smash them in even the tight'er' stuff IF your a capable rider. If your doing a lot of 80kph+ get a revalve as well

2nd is tyres, of course, though I don't consider that a mod

Then comes the usual, dynojet kit or pumper carb, 14t front sprocket (wouldn't bother going much lower, just learn to use the torque it'll haul your ass around without even breaking a sweat), GSXR can, bash plate etc...

Fly piggy fly...

Well, that was before the DRZ rear shock mod and while I was waiting for hernia surgery :moon: . My new 8.1 rear and .46 front springs are at the bike shop ? (A Vicious Cycle), with my Distanza's waiting for my Rad SM wheels and Acerbis front fender.

We'll see if this litttle piggy can fly indeed :moon:

(Sorry for the Hijack C6)

define expensive?

What I love is even after buying an immaculate bike for $6000 and putting $1500 into mods it's still cheaper than buying a KTM, XR or just about any bike of comparable age. Then consider the running costs. You put a comparable bike (lets say a KTM 625SXC) on the road, or anywhere and it will cost you more. Mostly because of oil you'll be changing it at 500k's vs about 3000k's on the DR, that right there is 6x more expensive in oil and is the biggest running cost factor. Another one is the cush drive, i've gotten so far about 27,500k's out of the stock chain and sprockets in every type of terrain and conditions including wet sand. I would have chucked it around 4000k's otherwise, tyres also last a bit longer

If you buy it as a weekend/monthly basher only it probly doesn't matter too much but if your like me and ride it every day, everywhere, then it's a terrific buy and exceptional value for money. A purpose built dirt bike is better on dirt, no question about it (don't think it makes you faster or a better rider though, it doesn't, I can usually hang with any bike a lot of the time). But I love that I can just take my DR with no matter whats on it, ride to a ride, ride the ride, then ride home without having to worry about anything and i'll know it'll fire up each and every time without question. Infact I make a habbit of not dirtifying it in any way and leave it as is, mirrors and all. I get a kind of sick satisfaction out of knowing I can throw a big fat lounge chair around

What i meant was do your research and make sure that what you buy first is the one you are going to stay with ie GSXR instead of my FMFQ2, i agree its a very affordable unit but you or rather i found myself buying upgrades and than finding something better and upgrading again so now i have parts lying around like a nicely jetted oem carb and an FMFQ2 with the oversize header and i sold my front end with progressive springs in it when i upgraded to Inverted so all i was saying was research first and make solid descisions