Sign in to follow this  

ktm hardparts quick release skid plate???

Is it me, or is this skidplate a pain in the a** to install on an 09 450 exc. I cant seem to get the quick release to lock into the mount. Is there any trick?

You really have to push on it and make sure the clip isn't pushing in on the bracket.

Once it's been on for a while and the plate conforms to the shape of the frame it pops right on.

thanks for yourfast reply. I was thinking of taking some kind of a clamp to hold the skid plate to the bracket while I screw in the quick release. The bracket is loose but the quick release dosent want to lock in...

Is it me, or is this skidplate a pain in the a** to install on an 09 450 exc. I cant seem to get the quick release to lock into the mount. Is there any trick?

I installed one on my 08' 530 excr and it was simple as can be.

It's NOT just you. Mine wuz a PITA to get on the first time. The Dzues(?) fastener "clip" just needs to be JUST right, then all is well. Hang in there.

You may try a small jack to press the skid plate up while you fasten the quick release. Eventually it will go right on. I safety wire mine for trail work.

First time to install, 2 of us put it on...one person pushing on the back spring with a flat screw driver and me twisting the catch screw (for the lack of better terms)

Friday night, took me 3 seconds to get off and 10 minutes to put back on after an oil change. Ended up using a flat bar to press the catch mechanism inwards for the quick release screw to catch. I am sure as time goes by, it'll get easier.

regarding safety wire, do you run a bit around the protruding quick release bolt on the backside? If so, what do you use to get that puppy off when it comes time to remove skid plate?

mx813

I gave up following the directions... I mounted the skid plate to the bracket, then screwed in the bracket to the frame. Then drilled a hole and ziptied it.