Sign in to follow this  

1st time RM owner with pics!!

Hello all...So i had been looking for a used smoker since i sold my 250f, after a few weeks or hardcore searching i came across my new ride today...Its a 03 RM 125, it needs a few thing done to it before i take it out officially but it runs great and all the controls work....plus i got it for $750!!! :p Under the pics are my plans for it

So fill me in on the RM's, its the only brand i have never owned so I dont know what years plastics will interchange, same with wheels and rims, pipes...that sorta stuff....Any recommendations will be appreciated!!

IMG_1483.jpg

After a quick power wash it started looking a little better

And i came with a never mounted Kenda trackmaster rear that will be going on soon

IMG_1490.jpg

So i have to get a whole new seat and cover, repair a fork seal, and fix a broken spoke and tube...probably get a new plastics kit and thats about it for now...So i figure after all that i should be under $1000 in a pretty decent bike for the summer!!! Let me know what you guys think!!

Welcome to the smokey side, looks like you got a good deal.

I would put in a new piston and rings to start so you know what you have, change all the fluids and grease everything, by the looks of the chain it looks like it has been sitting and needs some maintenance, also pull and clean the carb and also see what it has for jetting for future reference.

Son that bike has been ridden hard and put away wet, but with a little TLC it will be just right.

1st off get a new top end, it's the standard with 2Ts to replace them asap when you buy a used one. Replace the fork seals in pairs. Before running the new topend clean that carb and buy a new airfilter as well. You can get entire seats from RM for about $100. That's about $350 for all of that if you do the labor yourself.

The nice thing about Zooks is once you have 1 you end up with more!

Enjoy :p

It is a nice buy, but needs some tlc. start off with a new top end, greasing everything, and changing all the fluids (including forks). A new chain and air filter could also be good for it. Those items are the only things needed. If you still have extra cash laying around after that, then get new plastics, graphics, etc. BTW I have an 03 rm125 too, so feel free to ask any bike specific questions.

thanks for the advice...its currently tore down to the frame/motor and im getting ready to pull the top end, i checked the piston through the exhaust port and it's deff in need...the subframe and airbox are about to get a heavy simple green and elbow grease treatment, and new filters are coming before it ever gets started again...i got a pretty new chain im gonna put on it

whats the best way to tell if my piston is standard size?? i have never rebiult a 2 stroke that i didnt buy new so i have never encountered this before?? I can post up a pic soon if i need to...thanks

veneer calibers or take it to your local shop and have them size the bore for you.

Sweet deal man, but the bike needs a little work. I bought an 03 last fall from a pro, and he used it as his practice bike awhile bike. I bought it for 600 and have put about 300 into it, and its starting to run real nice, but doesn't look spectacular. Oh, and if you've got any questions, just ask.

^cool thanks...i wanted a project for the next few weeks...so far i cleaned up the frame and it looks pretty nice still, i already got the carb looking new and cleaned up the cases...im puttin a new top end in it next weekend, and a new rear tire ready to be mounted...its amazing what a little elbow grease will do

Wow, that is very similiar to the bike I just bought for a grand! Its a great bike!

Nice buy, keep us posted with updates and possibly picks. Remember to put one in the sticky.

thanks its actually in better shape than i thought it was, im trying to find a good deal on a complete seat for it right now but cant find anything cheaper than $90...also i got one broken spoke on the rear wheel, any advice on how to repair that easily? can i just buy one spoke and lace it in there?? i have budgeted myself about $400 to get it how i want it so im trying to stretch it as far as i can

well i got the seat...82 dollars shipping included...a sdg gripper complete seat, hope they are as nice as i hear

I am a new RM owner as well. I bought a 1994 RM80 a few days ago for $350 and have been having lots of fun working on it the last few days. I am really liking project bikes and the RM should be a real fun bike for the summer.:p

yeah its going well so far, i will post up some pics soon, but the frame and carb are lookin good...trying to find a used silencer now for cheap, and then comes the top end soon as i get back home

im trying to find a good deal on a complete seat for it right now but cant find anything cheaper than $90...also i got one broken spoke on the rear wheel, any advice on how to repair that easily? can i just buy one spoke and lace it in there?? i have budgeted myself about $400 to get it how i want it so im trying to stretch it as far as i can

well i got the seat...82 dollars shipping included...a sdg gripper complete seat, hope they are as nice as i hear

The seet is great holds realy well hope its in good shape but either way they last along time, you can replace the missing spoke but the problem in if the wheel is old spokes strech if the arn't maintained well is the wheel shaky becouse you could have to replace all the spokes but i would try to replace the one fisrt becouse with a $400 budget thats gonna go fast. drain all the fluids change the oil new piston make sure to check you ring end gap and make sure there is no up and down play in the crank, it could be more than you think is wrong it but i hope not i just bought a $750 dollar bike and it ended up being a complete rebuilder i am aboute $500 into tranny gears new top end seals bearings and gasgets the crank was fine but top and bottom end where shot, hope you scored a better deal than i did make sure to mainenece every thing now while its down or it will come back to haughnt you later but it sound like your moving in the right direction so good luck and keep us posted there is alot of realy smart people here who helped me a ton on my bike:thumbsup:

yeah its going well so far, i will post up some pics soon, but the frame and carb are lookin good...trying to find a used silencer now for cheap, and then comes the top end soon as i get back home

Look on eBay for a used silencer. I found a used pipe and silencer with no dents, for $15. Just keep your eyes peeled, and you'll find something.:)