Sign in to follow this  

so I left my petcock set to prime all winter....

Went out to start my bike ( '07 S )for the first ride of the season today - popped the battery in - leaned down to turn the petcock to prime for the first crank and to my surprise, I had allready done that --- LAST FALL !! All the threads reporting gas in the oil came rushing back to me. My oil dosen't smell like gas, and the tank is still full to the top - I'll still change it regardless.

Now the biketurns over but it won't start ( recharged battery 3 times ).

I'm thinking my pilot jet is plugged - but it won't even start with choke. I don't want to remove the carb - because I'm sure to do more damage than harm.

Can anyone let me know:

1. Is it possible I got lucky and did not fill my crankcase with fuel ? I would think it would "hydro lock " and not turn over ?

2. Any quick fixes for the plugged pilot ? Will turning my fuel screw in and out clear it (yes I'm serious ) ?

Thanks in advance !:p

If the fuel tank is still full, you did not pollute your oil with fuel. But I'd change the oil anyways due to the bike sitting for so long.

If the pilot is clogged, it must be cleaned. Tweaking the fuel screw will do nothing. Try draining the carb (fuel tap on 'Run', not 'Pri'), drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it, Dump the old fuel in your wifes car, she'll appreciate the apparent 'better mileage'. If it still will not start, try a new plug. Still nothing? Buy a new pilot jet...

Ya, I've been priming my petcock for some time now...I guess it's old age :p

Guiri, back on the short bus please.....this is not the "bonding thread":bonk:

Time to get a lady in the house:lol:

Sorry boys, I guess I took a left turn back there...I'm a little embarrassed right now..

I just went and started my bike as well. even though I used stabilized fuel and stored the battery in the house all winter I had a heck of a time getting my bike started. I did not have to recharge the battery but it took a lot of fussing to get it going? choke full on,, half on,,off..and so on ,,and so on ,,lol. finally opened the throttle full on and held it,,and it caught

maybe you flooded it?

finally it started up and is good now.