Broken KIPS valve gear tooth stuff. KDX200

So, doing my first top end today, I was trying to remove the "Smiley gear" http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/hi_im_sean/top%20end/topend2024.jpg

The nut for it would NOT come off. at all. and I broke one tooth clean off and another is about to come off. :moon:?:moon: I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do without spending money as I spent it all already. Could I just completely remove the KIPS stuff? Or will the engine not run?

I know, I'm an idiot. :ride:

How the hell is this part $60?

?:banghead: :banghead:

Sorry, I'm really frustrated right now.

I feel your pain. Motorcycle parts can be outrageous sometimes. Kawasaki wants $24 for a KDX headlight bulb.:foul:

Now, check the threads on the main shaft and the nut (the one that was hard to get off), it is only on there with 78 in. lbs. of torque so it shouldn't have been that hard to get off.

Also, a method I use for dealing with small, stubborn nuts and bolts. Get pressure on it with your ratchet and rap the ratchet handle with a hammer a few times. Works kind of like a mini impact wrench and will a lot of times break them loose without putting as much force on the surrounding things, in your case, the "smiley gear". as just trying to twist it off of there.

I feel your pain. Motorcycle parts can be outrageous sometimes. Kawasaki wants $24 for a KDX headlight bulb.?

Now, check the threads on the main shaft and the nut (the one that was hard to get off), it is only on there with 78 in. lbs. of torque so it shouldn't have been that hard to get off.

Also, a method I use for dealing with small, stubborn nuts and bolts. Get pressure on it with your ratchet and rap the ratchet handle with a hammer a few times. Works kind of like a mini impact wrench and will a lot of times break them loose without putting as much force on the surrounding things, in your case, the "smiley gear". as just trying to twist it off of there.

I picked up an older kdx 200 in trade a while back and when I inspected the powervalve about 75% of the PV components were broken in pieces.So for the time being I removed all PV parts and run the bike without.It lacks a strong bottom end but it's not absolutely horrible.It has a nice hit in the middle and very fast on top.I use this as a spare trail/play bike so I'm not using my race bike full time.

I only did this as a temp fix until I can afford several hundred dollars in PV parts..lol.

Good luck!

Maverick - what is contained in this list and where did you get this quote?

Byte

I was buying a second hand KDX and was concerned the KIPS components were missing, I rang Newcastle Kawasaki and asked for a quote for all the parts that make up the KIPS. They quoted me approx $750.

• 9 months later...

So I'm doing a top end rebuild this weekend (KDX 220), and break a tooth off the "smiley gear" as kid145 did. Its a single tooth, last one on the right. It doesn't appear that this tooth actually engages anything when the valve is opened. Can anyone verify this. That gear is $70. Secondly, is there any reason I can't put the bike back together, and replace it later, when and if I decide to? One last thing, is the shaft/gear supposed to be held or supported somehow to prevent this from happening?

So I'm doing a top end rebuild this weekend (KDX 220), and break a tooth off the "smiley gear" as kid145 did. Its a single tooth, last one on the right. It doesn't appear that this tooth actually engages anything when the valve is opened. Can anyone verify this. That gear is $70. Secondly, is there any reason I can't put the bike back together, and replace it later, when and if I decide to? One last thing, is the shaft/gear supposed to be held or supported somehow to prevent this from happening?

read the how to in the stickies, you need to replace your shaft now as well

Why would I need to replace the shaft, it's perfectly fine. the gear I'm talking about is the one under the plug on the shifter side of the bike.

I have come to the conclusion that the rack tooth thats missing never even contacts the pinion gear, well it might a tiny bit, but definately doesn't do much work. I have actuated the shaft many many times and it seems fine.

Why would I need to replace the shaft, it's perfectly fine. the gear I'm talking about is the one under the plug on the shifter side of the bike.

I have come to the conclusion that the rack tooth thats missing never even contacts the pinion gear, well it might a tiny bit, but definately doesn't do much work. I have actuated the shaft many many times and it seems fine.

thought you were talking about the main actuator:bonk: i always hold the geared end of that shaft with pliers and some rubber or a rag or something

I've found the gear for $50 somewhere, just shop around. Or you could leave it and hope it doesn't break anything, or you could not run the powervalve; like I did. It's been working fine for me for however long it's been, 9 months or so.

Or, you could run half a powervalve, like I SHOULD have done. Now i have to pull the motor completely back apart once I get the gear, or do it when I'm doing the top end.

But I'm trying to sell the KDX so I haven't done much with it in a few months.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=370744&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=1999&fveh=8590