Help needed Circlip dropped in motor

? Dropped a cir clip from a piston inside my buddies 2008 250 XC-f , tried a magnet aand can't get it ....Will this hurt the motor if left in ? I say it will...Any idea's on how to about gettign it out without spliting it in half ??

Yes lol this will wreak havoc on the motor if you leave it in there. I dropped circlips in my WR and they made their way into the stator / flywheel and which killed the bike and damaged both severely.

I wouldn't think you'd need to split the cases, but definitely do whatever you need to and get them out of there before you run it.

Yes lol this will wreak havoc on the motor if you leave it in there. I dropped circlips in my WR and they made their way into the stator / flywheel and which killed the bike and damaged both severely.

I wouldn't think you'd need to split the cases, but definitely do whatever you need to and get them out of there before you run it.

HOW ??? Any idea's....Anyone

definately dont run it. no way. Is the motor in the bike or out. If its out, it should be fairly easy to get it out without disassembly. May have to pull off some side covers. Try turning it over and shaking. If its still mounted i would probably pull it out

Yeah, I'd pull the ignition cover and tip over / shake etc to try and get it out that way for starters. You say you tried to get it with a magnet... can you actually see it in there? If so I'd just start removing parts till you can access with a magnet...

first you need to magnetize a piece of steel wire. Rub a magnet olong the wire in ONE direction repeatedly and it will rearrange the molecules to give some magnetic ability. Then fish around in the hole with the wire n see if it picks up the clip. If that doesnt work I would take the motor out, turn it over and flush it with gas, to get the oil out n the clip may come with it, then maybe blow air in the area and get it out. If that doesnt work then take motor apart.

first you need to magnetize a piece of steel wire. Rub a magnet olong the wire in ONE direction repeatedly and it will rearrange the molecules to give some magnetic ability. Then fish around in the hole with the wire n see if it picks up the clip. If that doesnt work I would take the motor out, turn it over and flush it with gas, to get the oil out n the clip may come with it, then maybe blow air in the area and get it out. If that doesnt work then take motor apart.

Good advice... I've used the wire trick on ocassions with good results...gets in all the nooks and crannies

I personally would use a 50/50 mix of oil and fuel just to keep the engine bearings and bushings happy on initial start-up... and would crank the engine for a while to get the oil back in all the nooks and crannies. Good advice to use a thinner fluid for the flush since it would break the oil film that may stick the ring against components...

I would try flushing it and dumping upside down before splitting it... you'll have the engine out of the frame anyways...

Thanks Folks for all of the advice......I will try both the wire solution and if that does work , I'll try the flush sometime this week. I'll let you all know what finally worked and what didn't........

OK folks, Told everyone i would update you on what worked and what didn't..Got the clip out by flipping the bike over onto the handlebars and blowing into the motor with compressed air. Took some probing around with the air nozzle but it finally blow out. It was stuck between the crank lobe and the side if the motor casing.......Assemblied the top end again and quit for the day....Was pretty happy to get the little bugger out......

OK folks, Told everyone i would update you on what worked and what didn't..Got the clip out by flipping the bike over onto the handlebars and blowing into the motor with compressed air. Took some probing around with the air nozzle but it finally blow out. It was stuck between the crank lobe and the side if the motor casing.......Assemblied the top end again and quit for the day....Was pretty happy to get the little bugger out......

Good to hear:thumbsup:

I'm guessing a few high fives were thrown around when the clip hit the floor:banana: