Sign in to follow this  

Any plumbers on here

5 Yr old water heater...top element the light is on..bottom won't kick on even if I adjust it all the way to 150 degrees? Bad element? Where do you get parts? GE SmartWater Heater Model #SE50T12AA01

Fix it quick or your electric bill will sky rocket. The one heating element will be on constantly. Happened to me.

Probably dead element. They are really easy to change. Basically turn off the breaker for the unit, then turn off the water supply. Drain the tank. Pull off the cover, then unscrew the wires from the element. The elements typically screw into the tank, so you just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one (use some teflon paste on the threads), hook up the wires, replace the cover, turn on the water and turn on the breaker.

EDIT - you can get elements at Home Depot or Lowes or your favorite fix-it store. Just get the same size - IIRC the common sizes are 4500 watt and 2500 watt.

Fix it quick or your electric bill will sky rocket. The one heating element will be on constantly. Happened to me.

Well the problem is we are running out of hot water in 5 minutes.....so it can't be heating all 50 gallons can it?

The cost is $24.00 for the two elements and a half hour to install buy the special tool for the element its a 1.5 socket about $5.00 the longest part of the job is draining the tank. to speed up the flow, take off the supply line to force air thru tank. Just did one for a friend 1.5 hours total I also flushed the tank:busted:

Well the problem is we are running out of hot water in 5 minutes.....so it can't be heating all 50 gallons can it?

No It won't

Is the thermostat (t-stat) working?

So I replace the bottom element......nothing. Replace the bottom thermostat......bottom light comes on but not the top. Decide to replace the top thermostat.....now neither of them.

Side note I am not sure the tank was completely full after I replaced the bottom thermostat. What now?

Even with a water softener, my water heater capacity was greatly reduced by heavy lime build up. I could only get a few minutes of hot water while taking a shower. I replaced it and not only is there a lot more hot water available, it's much hotter at lower temp settings.

Did you see any lime come out of the heater when you drained it?

Got it fixed..thanks for all the help. Had a bad thermostat.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I drain mine about every 8 months or so.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I drain mine about every 8 months or so.

Maybe she's looking for you to drain more often...weekly perhaps!:p:ride::moon:

:moon: