Sign in to follow this  

beating an dead horse (whose wearing a leatt)

i'm sure this has been driven into the ground. :moon:

but leatts have been out a while, and i just wanted to get any updated or newer opinions on them, maybe even anything new if the trendy, new toy hype has worn off.

whats your stand on leatt, or any other neck braces for that matter?

I am considering a leatt purchase this year. :p I have a $500 arai helmet, evs neck pad thing (the one that zip ties to your chest protector), wear a chest protector, kidney belt, knee guards, boots, etc...

just having a hard time justifying the $500 for a neck brace. people have ridden since the begginning of the motorcycle without them. never heard of too many broken necks to my recolection (outside of high risk scenarios, like pro racing or freestyle).

i know there is the

:foul: "well, you have a 500 helmt, isn't your neck worth it too?" line,

and the old line borrowed from the quality vs crap helmet argument

:bonk: "if you have a 10 dollar head buy a 10 dollar helmet":bonk:

and i have seen the jeremy lusk crash video. (RIP)

and know of jimmy button, ernesto fonseca, etc.. (the riders already in the spotlight that had related injuries)

and i read the editors collumn in transworld a few months ago where he recalled a crash in a holeshot that he was saved by a leatt.

AND i have a kid due any day. :p

but i do not plan on giving up riding.

i am a slow C rider, the one on the track basically just to be there and have a good time. :banana: :banana: :lol:

i don't do the big jumps (just average stuff a slow c rider would do):moon::mad:

heck, the kid coming has given me a new perspective on rethinking what i will do of that anymore anyways. (i have already had 2 concussions, 1 resulting in a lifeflight scenario to scare :lol: :lol: me into being careful and buying a top of the line helmet -the arai vs the hjc models i had before- )

i don't even "race" anymore. just not worth the money. i trail ride and go out to the track on practice days.

:ride: but leatt has the "adventure" line out that is a little more economical (i think that is what it is called? it just lacks the adjustment features of the premier model)

that is the model i am considering. i think it is like $200. anybody have one, and any opinions on it? my bro has the $500 one that all the pros use. says he never had to use the adjustments on it.

how hard are they to attach a chest protector to it ( i have a hrp flak jacket like pastrana wore in his championship 125 season)

or would the foam neck impact absorber thing be sufficient for a less than pro like myself?

i just want others opinions of the newer model and stuff? want to make sure i am around to teach my son how to ride when he gets old enough.:foul:

man, sounds like i have already decided on buying one. its jsut a matter of which model i guess. and i am leaning toward the adventure.

any opinions appreciated.

thanks

i'm sure this has been driven into the ground.

You don't say...

Riding is dangerous. If you want to feel safe, either wear what makes you feel safe, or quit.

i wear my leatt everytime i get on the bike.. it has saved my neck before and wouldnt hesitate on buying another one.. not going into my story here as i have it in like 30 leatt threads but i wouldnt be walking today if i didnt have it on..

it is worth it and not just a hype.

let me ask you a question. did you ever fear paralizing neck injuries before the leatt came out? i didnt. if i was afraid of a spinal injury it would have been a lower back injury, since most of the pro spinal injuries have been lower back. if you were afaird of it happening 2 years ago get the leatt, if you werent ask yourself why you are now.

there are dozens of people on here claiming that if it werent for the leatt they would be paralyzed. really? because 2 years ago there werent 20 different thumpertalk members a year breaking their necks. take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

let me ask you a question. did you ever fear paralizing neck injuries before the leatt came out? i didnt. if i was afraid of a spinal injury it would have been a lower back injury, since most of the pro spinal injuries have been lower back. if you were afaird of it happening 2 years ago get the leatt, if you werent ask yourself why you are now.

there are dozens of people on here claiming that if it werent for the leatt they would be paralyzed. really? because 2 years ago there werent 20 different thumpertalk members a year breaking their necks. take it with a grain of salt.

WOW!! Great comment. I dont think I have heard anyone be so straight forward on this subject before. Cudo's to you. :p

If there is a new form of protection, why not protect yourself. Cheap insurance.

Just got one for Christmas, I'm excited to wear it. I think fear of hurting myself has been docking my confidence, thus making me slower, so maybe this will actually help make me faster! Who knows... but yeah, get one. As said above, cheap insurance.

i just ordered the adventure last week :p I'll let ya know when it arrives:banana:

WOW!! Great comment. I dont think I have heard anyone be so straight forward on this subject before. Cudo's to you. :p

1 because i wasnt riding mx but desert and it was less likely to happan..

2 was riding with someone that lawndarted and broke his neck...

also the benifits out-weigh the risks.. so why not..

Hmmmmm...I don't understand your point.. Are you looking for us Leatt owners to tell you that they're not worth it, making you feel better if you don't buy one? Not likely gonna happen. IMO, it's a very critical area that's susceptible to injury. If someone comes up with a way to give it better protection, I'm gonna get it, and I did. Everyone has to make that decision for them-self. It's your neck... If you don't think it's worth it, or are like some of the other people who've posted about it, and are actually concerned about the thing breaking their collar bone (yes, I don't get that argument), then don't get one. Simple as that.

Each one of us looks at protection in different ways. I bought one as soon as I could get a hold of it, and would have used it even if it hindered my movement. As luck would have it, once I'm riding, I don't even notice it's there, and I'm a no-neck. I will wear it until it wears out, and then get another. If they come out with something that offers even more protection, I'll get that. I've noticed the older I get, the less I flex, and the more I break. Considering that I have to show up to work on Monday, and have a family to support, I'm not gonna blow off this kind of protection. Even if I was a retired millionaire I'd wear one. I could do nothing but sit around and watch tv in between riding, but I still would want to mitigate the chances of becoming paralyzed, or worse

1 because i wasnt riding mx but desert and it was less likely to happan..

2 was riding with someone that lawndarted and broke his neck...

also the benifits out-weigh the risks.. so why not..

I'm not sure why your quoting me. :ride: I wasnt arguing wether or not you should use one just that he was straight to his point. I agree that I want to protect myself and my son as good as possible but I prefer to wait and see new products improved on and proven before I go out and buy the next new piece of safety equipment. I tend to buy the most proven equipment that is being sold wether it be helmets, boots, knee braces, etc. I do have a hard time listening to someone claim that a neck brace saved them from being paralized when in reality they dont know that for sure. By the same token I would rather use safety gear as opposed to finding out wether it works or not. :p

i don't wear one yet but i'm getting one in the next couple weeks. i just had a major stinger last weekend and lost all feeling for about 10 seconds and took probably 5 minutes to get up. bucked off the bike trail riding in 2nd gear and caught a tree before the ground. i may even get the tricked out alpinestar just because. i've only felt that once before and that was cratering onto my back from over 30' off a cliff snowboarding. reality is, landing the wrong way, just doesn't take that much force to do real damage.

I would be riding with one if it didn't make riding more dangerous for me. I ride lots of tight trails where it is more important to be flexible and agile and be able to move. I have been wearing the evs rc3 neck roll thing. Even that thing can be dangerous. That is the closest thing that wouldn't make it dangerous for me. I have to duck under fallen trees and get off my bike at times. The leatt would definitely get me knocked off my bike and hurt me in other ways. If I was riding motocross or desert or some wide open stuff I would be definitely be using the leatt. The $200 one looks pretty good to me.

Hmmmmm...I don't understand your point.. Are you looking for us Leatt owners to tell you that they're not worth it, making you feel better if you don't buy one? Not likely gonna happen. IMO, it's a very critical area that's susceptible to injury. If someone comes up with a way to give it better protection, I'm gonna get it, and I did. Everyone has to make that decision for them-self. It's your neck... If you don't think it's worth it, or are like some of the other people who've posted about it, and are actually concerned about the thing breaking their collar bone (yes, I don't get that argument), then don't get one. Simple as that.

Each one of us looks at protection in different ways. I bought one as soon as I could get a hold of it, and would have used it even if it hindered my movement. As luck would have it, once I'm riding, I don't even notice it's there, and I'm a no-neck. I will wear it until it wears out, and then get another. If they come out with something that offers even more protection, I'll get that. I've noticed the older I get, the less I flex, and the more I break. Considering that I have to show up to work on Monday, and have a family to support, I'm not gonna blow off this kind of protection. Even if I was a retired millionaire I'd wear one. I could do nothing but sit around and watch tv in between riding, but I still would want to mitigate the chances of becoming paralyzed, or worse

I wasn't looking for anything in particular (positive vs negative support of the neck brace.)

just for opinons overrall.

like i said, leatts have been out a while now, and a more economical model was introduced- to allow more riders to afford them, or because they figured they tapped as many as possible for the original $500 and now need to look for the next price sensitivity region, who knows?

so i wanted to see if it was just a fad, or if it was a worthwhile investment. (investment in the neckbrace, not my neck. as mentioned i already wear an rc3, so that is a concern of mine.) - kinda like golf clubs. if you go out and buy a $1500 set of clubs, but can't afford to practice or go golfing, and then do fianlly go out, nad get beat by some dude with cheap-o bargain mart $150 clubs, were they really a worthwhile investment, or could you have played jsut as bad with middle of the road or cheapo clubs?

as i said at the end of my orig post, i think i have already made up my mind to buy one. :p

unlike many on thumpertalk, tho, i do not have a lot of extra money to waste on every new bell and whistle that comes out. therefore, if i want to be able to afford to go riding at the track, i need to buy the right item the first time and save the rest of the money for riding fees of the track, fuel, oil, maintnance, etc...

SO, as i said, i am considering the adventure brace and was looking for opinions of it. if it is truly as "great" as the original leatt, minus adjustments, and that is for the most part insignifigant, then cool. i will order mine to have it here for my first ride this year. if not, than i must keep saving a while longer and justify to myself that the version that costs an arm-and-a-leg will save me just that.

also, i was looking for adaptability for a chest protector with the leatt (with the adventure in specific). 99% of riders i see in these goofy looking things wears it, but no chest protector. :ride: most seem to claim it is because of hassle of gearing up and fitting into both simaltaneously.

are the people buying these things just hypocrits or what? "i wear all the protection possible! if they make it, you should wear it. i wouldn't ride without my leatt...oh, my broken ribs, you ask? well, i wasn't wearing a chest protector.":banghead:

I'm wondering if they don't cause problems in the mid back by transmitting all the force to that area of the spine. I personally know someone who exploded T6 to the point where T5 & T7 were touching. I do believe that is where the Leatt ends. I did not ask if the brace broke but it makes me wonder. Another peron bruised T6 to the point where he couldn't move his arms for a few days and then had lingering problems for months. Did the Leatt save him from a broken neck or did it cause more harm. I too want the best protection and have a Leatt for my son (who's 50cc KTM is now banned).

I wear my Adventure every time I go riding. Why wouldn't you spend a couple of hundred dollars for something that might prevent being cripplped. Nothing is perfect, but it can't hurt.

Craigus

if you really doubt it so much then just buy the adventure, 200 hundred dollars to be safer is nothing. it will give you some peace of mind to know that youre safer