Look what followed me home from...

... Upstate Cycle in Greenville, SC! Ever since buying the CR 125 last month, the kid won't let me ride it... so I fixed that problem today! Many thanks to Gerald, Mike and the rest of the gang at Upstate Cycle for being straight-up and down-to-earth GREAT people! ?

Husky5.jpg

Husky4.jpg

Husky3.jpg

Husky1.jpg

Husky2.jpg

Take it back! They put the brake and sprocket on the wrong sides of the bike!

J/K Those are some sweet looking bikes you've got there. I saw an ad for the new Husky's in a magazine, and I've got the itch to get one, too. I'd have one of very few in AZ, that's for sure.

nice bikes . .

i just got my WR300 last week - it was a good move from my '07 TE450 ! !

it would be interesting to see what jetting you have and how much you adjust it . .

it seems to be a 'little rich' from the dealers and a 'little short' on the mileage . .

let me know if you make any changes and how it affects the performance - i am in the process of doing that now . .

cheers

Oh you DAWWWWWG! I'm pretty jealous, your garage is looking pretty sweet these days! Did you ditch that p.o.s. CRF yet??!

Full ride report, please, as I imagine it will see some MX track time!!!

Still got the CRF. In fact the kid rode it this Saturday and, knock on wood, I think I finally got things worked out! I replaced the coil (plug cap) and also went from a 60 leak jet to a 65 (70 is stock). I still might sell the thing since I can't seem to get him to off the CR 125! He's stoked for racing the Husky now instead of the CRF!

As for the WR300 report...

:ride::moon: :moon: What a monster! I conducted the break-in runs on some reasonably tight double trails with lots of ruts, roots, rocks and mud. The thing that sticks in my mind the most was the incredible difference in handling between my TE250 and the WR300. The TE liked to push through tight turns and, as expected felt heavier all around. The WR sliced through turns predictably and without drama. It feels a lot lighter in all situations than the TE. The 300's low end is great and allowed me to lug through the trails like a 4 stroke when I didn't want to go fast and keep it spooled. This is one thing that is different from the CR125... the 125 needs more revving, shifting and clutching to get the most from it (which is completely understandable).

The other difference I noticed between the 125 and the 300 was the fact that the 300 is just heavy enough to keep things planted when things got bouncy. The 125's front wheel tends to get wild and bounce around in the choppy stuff (choppy stuff meaning ruts and rocks and roots... not whoops or typical MX track stuff).

Unlike a few reviews I read which suggest the 300 has a lag in the middle of the power band, mine felt smooth and predicatable with little or no "on-off" hit. Shifting was smooth and neutral is easy to find. The clutch pull is a bit on the heavy side (compared to the 125 which is one of the best cable clutches I've felt), but engagement is smooth.

After I got the break in done, Cody took it to the track and flogged it for about 30 minutes. I had the suspension set for my 185 lbs, so needless to say, his 125 lb. body got jackhammered pretty good. He mentioned that it handled a lot like the CRF250R but was too stiff (see suspension settings above). He also mentioned the heavy clutch. Naturally, he liked the power... a lot! In fact, he made some snide comment to me afterwards that he was worried it was too much bike for me and that he didn't want me to get hurt on it!?

The Cons:

The engine likes to vibrate. Although, in fairness, as it broke in throughout the day things got a bit smoother.

I think the pilot jet may be a tad rich as the engine had the slightest burble immediately coming off closed throttle.

The REALLY bad:

At the end of the day, just after my son rode it on the track, I noticed coolant splashed all over the head. At first, I thought one of the two coolant hoses going into the top of the jug was leaking as the coolant was puddling in a recessed area at the dome bolt closest to the carb (immediately in front of the brace holding the jug to the frame). I tightened the hose clamps to no avail and it became obvious the leak was actually coming from the dome itself! I puckered, fearing the worst (defective casting, crack, etc.). I got it home, drained the coolant, removed the two hoses and found that the dome bolt was loose enough to spin with two fingers. In fact it was so loose, I had to spin it finger tight just to get the ratchet to operate while tightening! After tightening, I started it several times and let things get plenty hot. No more leak! WHEW! ?

• Like 1

Sweet!

I just got a 300 last week. Have yet to ride it though....

Did you have to hollow out that Pro Taper pad to make it fit?

No, actually the pad fit fine without any tampering.

Thanks! It's hard to believe that it didn't come with any sort of bar pad.

Thanks for the write up too! I'm jonzin to get mine out and see what she's made of. I went over it yesterday with a tube of loc-tite, some anti sieze and a fine tooth comb. I did not check the head bolts though.

I will now.

I keep telling my wife she'd enjoy a cr/wr125 a lot more than her current crf150, but she doesn't believe me for some reason. I'd love to have a 125 in the garage at my disposal. Too much fun.....

Enjoy the bikes!

Thanks! It's hard to believe that it didn't come with any sort of bar pad.

Thanks for the write up too! I'm jonzin to get mine out and see what she's made of. I went over it yesterday with a tube of loc-tite, some anti sieze and a fine tooth comb. I did not check the head bolts though.

I will now.

I keep telling my wife she'd enjoy a cr/wr125 a lot more than her current crf150, but she doesn't believe me for some reason. I'd love to have a 125 in the garage at my disposal. Too much fun.....

Enjoy the bikes!

Trade the CRF 150, buy the CR 125, buy her flowers and put a note on the flowers telling her she got another gift in the garage... can't go wrong with using flowers to justify just about anything! Wives always fall for the flower trick. ?

Trade the CRF 150, buy the CR 125, buy her flowers and put a note on the flowers telling her she got another gift in the garage... can't go wrong with using flowers to justify just about anything! Wives always fall for the flower trick. :ride:

Amen! :moon: :moon:

What's that old bike in the garage? It isn't being ignored now that you have all these new toys is it? ?

Amen! :moon: :moon:

What's that old bike in the garage? It isn't being ignored now that you have all these new toys is it? :ride:

It's a '71 Hodaka Ace 100B. It's not ignored... more like pampered and cherished. ?

nice bikes . .

i just got my WR300 last week - it was a good move from my '07 TE450 ! !

it would be interesting to see what jetting you have and how much you adjust it . .

it seems to be a 'little rich' from the dealers and a 'little short' on the mileage . .

let me know if you make any changes and how it affects the performance - i am in the process of doing that now . .

cheers

check the float height...most are too high causing rich running and crappy gas mileage.

Should be 18-22 mm on the TMX carb.

Definately check the float level. Mine was so high that I could only get about 20 plus miles out of a tank. It was dumping out the overflow tube while riding. I haven't accurately checked since making the adjustment but guess mileage to be about 37 to 45 miles under race conditions. In addition check the needle position. I raised the clip 1 position (standard is middle) and it cleared up quite nicely. Do keep an eye on the tank brass inserts. My tank sprang a leak during the first section at the Alligator enduro last week. The gas ran down the tank directly onto the top of the air filter. Gas completely saturated the filter causing the bike to run very rich. The bike ran so bad that it wouldn't hardly pull second gear in the tighter trail without flogging the hell out of the clutch. Not a fun day to say the least. A new tank was warranted and on its way. The carburetor was removed and had to be cleaned thoroughly, installed the tank off my 07 WR250 and the bike is running good again. You would think that Acerbis would have this problem figured out and fixed by now. Both my 07 250 and 09 300 have had tank leaking issues. The good news is that they warranted both tanks and replaced them in a timely manner. Before anyone suggests that I was the cause of the fire at Alligator, It was ahead of me in the 5th section. LOL However I was only about 1/4 mile from reaching it when we were stopped. Good thing I didn't go any further or I may have gone up in flames. Several riders actually rode through the flames before the section was closed.

Dave A

Dude!! I'm prtty jealous right about now. Sweet choice of rides. ?

Although I do have to say that I am quite disapointed that with your obvious good taste in the 2-wheeled department that you have failed in your choice of cars. 2 Mustangs!!! man what were you thinking. HAHAHA :banghead: