Sign in to follow this  

Handlebars?

My buddy took a spill on my KLX and has tweaked the handlebars. I was wondering what everyone is using on their bikes. Thanks!

pro taper Pastrana FMX, with risers

ME too..

That being said I still have the stock bars with maybe a ride on them if you buddy wants some cheap alternatives.

Check the bars , it doesnt take much to twist the rubber mount and they appear to be bent, Loosen the bar clamps and the nuts under the top triple clamp that holds the bar mounts. I thought mine were bent and after this everything lined back up.

Pro Taper Carmichael bend, no risers.

I'm 5'10" and they feel just right.

Check the bars , it doesnt take much to twist the rubber mount and they appear to be bent, Loosen the bar clamps and the nuts under the top triple clamp that holds the bar mounts. I thought mine were bent and after this everything lined back up.

Yeh I did that, they are definetly bent. When I have the bars straight, the fron wheel is turned. Plust when I ride, the left side feels like its way uneven. Plus these things mess with your head. I bent my stock pair on my KLX250s and thought I had bent the wheel lol.

+1

Just loosen the bar clamps, you might find that the bars themselves are actually fine. I had my bars "tweak" (twist)every time I fell down...but I replaced the bar clamp tops with a single top from a KX250 (good advice from this forum), torqued it down to 18 ft/lbs with a gap between both the front and read of the top and that cured the twisting.

I wasnt there when he fell, but I think he fell pretty hard on the left side. He was trying to clear a few small jumps. He did that but forgot there was a big table top in front of him and slammed into it:bonk: The bike itself is fine, but definetly something off on the bars. Ive ordered some replacement but if it doesent cure it then Ill try something else. Iam pretty positive that is the problem. Thanks for the advice though!:p

You might also try loosening the bolt that hold the forks, somtimes the fork tubes twist inside the triple clamps. I dumped mine two weeks ago and had the feeling of bent bars and the moose I was riding with put the front wheel between his legs, grabbed the bars and gave it a jerk and presto back to normal.

You might also try loosening the bolt that hold the forks, somtimes the fork tubes twist inside the triple clamps. I dumped mine two weeks ago and had the feeling of bent bars and the moose I was riding with put the front wheel between his legs, grabbed the bars and gave it a jerk and presto back to normal.

+ 1 :) That is what I had to do to fix my bent bars. Although I did loosen everything up and retorque. No moose to ride with!!

definetly something off on the bars. Ive ordered some replacement but if it doesent cure it then Ill try something else. Iam pretty positive that is the problem. Thanks for the advice though!:)

The idea of forums like this one is to keep you from "ordering parts you may not need and then trying something else when they don't cure the problem".

You got lots of very good suggestions here, but your mind was made up before you even posted. Your choice, but you wasted the time of several very helpful members who responded to your request for information.

Too bad.

The idea of forums like this one is to keep you from "ordering parts you may not need and then trying something else when they don't cure the problem".

You got lots of very good suggestions here, but your mind was made up before you even posted. Your choice, but you wasted the time of several very helpful members who responded to your request for information.

Too bad.

I wouldnt say that. The next time this happens, as Iam sure it will, Ill know what to look for and try first. Thanks again for everyones response!:)

Too bad.

I wouldn't say he wasted anyones time. His original question was what bars others were running. The other options were just offered as suggestions.

His original question was what bars others were running. The other options were just offered as suggestions.

I went back and re-read the OP, and you are correct Dog; 7492, please accept my apology.

• Like 1

I went back and re-read the OP, and you are correct Dog; 7492, please accept my apology.

Not a problem at all :)

Used ProTaper Pastrana, and now Renthal Twinwall Windham. I have PC mounts. And I may get to ride again soon.

Just to be clear, are you talking about the bolt in between the handlebar clamps? I put my new bars on and it still feels a little off, although not near as bad as with the old bars. :)