Sign in to follow this  

Oil Behind ignition cover?

So I'm replacing my clutch cable getting ready to go riding tomorrow and when I popped my ignition cover off there was a decent amount of oil in there. I'm guessing that's not good. The bike has been sitting for about 3 weeks could that have anything to do with it? Could it be the crank seal? How hard are those to replace. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks.

How involved is replacing the crank seals. Does the case need to be split to do that or can I just remove the flywheel and install a new seal?

Thanks for the help.

you can remove the flywheel and screw some wood screws in the seal to pull the old one out then just press a new one in. no case splitting necessary. just be careful not to screw the screws in too far.

it's not necessary to split cases to replace those seals, but in my case i had to remove the entire clutch assembly to replace the right side seal.

make sure that you have a manual or check the dept of the old seal i think that it is 2mm i cant be sure though. you will need to have a flywheel puller.

Awesome thanks a lot. Anyone know the seal depth? I'm probably going to do both the crank seal and the clutch lifter arm seal while I'm in there. On the plus side it looks like the parts won't be too expensive.

I don't think its premix... it looks just like slightly used transmission oil.. dark red. I would say there was about 1/3 to half an oz of oil in there.

Premix oil behind the ignition cover is normal as long as there's not a boat load of it.

Why would you ever have premix bvehind the ignition cover???:p