Sign in to follow this  

need a lil help.

OK...I was doing a simple valve adjustment when the cam chain derailed from the bottom gear. Unfortunately I found this out while trying to start the bike, so I took it all apart including the head and cylinder to get back on track. Now I have to get everything lined up to get the timing right.

Since the bottom end spun without the top end moving is gonna be a problem? Right now I got the gear on the right side of the case lined up to the arrow, but is the piston supposed to be in the upward position? Also I still have the marks on the cam chain and the cam gear to line them up when I get to that point.

You marked the chain and cam gear? Don't worry about getting that to line up again once something moves at the bottom, that won't happen.

Just line up the mark on crank, the marks on cam to head surface, Lobes to rear and your good.

This has happened to me. Make sure the valves did not smack the piston when you tried to start it. It will cause the valves to fail due to being bent. I find adjusting the valves on the kickstand will cause this problem. Next time use a stand and you will be fine. Please double check and make sure the cam chain is on the lower sprocket. You need a flashlight to see it properly.

To answer your question, with the lower cam mark aligned, you will be at TDC. Then just install the cam making sure the marks align and the lobs of the cam are facing aft. Also double check the valve shims did not jump out and fall into the oil pan. This can happen with excess movement of the valves for some reason.

Great! That's all good to know... And ULEWZ is right, I did do my valve adjustment on the side kickstand...a lesson learned and lived. Thanks everyone!