Sign in to follow this  

Shim Source?

Any suggestions for where to buy shims? I've seen MX-Techs site and their selection. Just wondering if there is any more economical way to buy a selection or assortment. Where do most tuners get their shims?

Any suggestions for where to buy shims? I've seen MX-Techs site and their selection. Just wondering if there is any more economical way to buy a selection or assortment. Where do most tuners get their shims?

We do shims for $1.27 each. Price goes down if you purchase them in 10 packs. From there, price goes even lower in 200, 500 and 1,000 packs.

Tuners get shims from various locations depending on how many they are purchasing. KYB and SHOWA are certainly good sources, but so are some of the U.S. shim makers.

RSP is a good source as well.

But it really comes down to how many you need and of what size.

As much help as Dave J is on the forum, give him the business, he certainly deserves it.

Where else will you find someone that makes a living from suspension work posting up his settings? I'd like to see Factory Connection do that :p

We do shims for $1.27 each. Price goes down if you purchase them in 10 packs. From there, price goes even lower in 200, 500 and 1,000 packs.

Tuners get shims from various locations depending on how many they are purchasing. KYB and SHOWA are certainly good sources, but so are some of the U.S. shim makers.

RSP is a good source as well.

But it really comes down to how many you need and of what size.

Who is RSP?

RacingSupensionProducts. Out of CT, was the orignal owner of Ccycle.

i forgot Dave J sold shims. Definitely get them from Dave J (smart performance)

he is a huge contributor on thumper talk!!!!!!

Our shims are $1.19 each and .89 if you buy them in ten paks.

I agree, shipping was more than my shim order.

Anybody had any luck with rsp's spring rate calculator?

Yeah it works OK, with in 5% of rate advertised. I used to determine what a spring rate I had when I needed to shorten some springs. It hit the rate advertised by the supplier.

WER and FC sell shims but they are a lot more expensive than Dave J or MX-tech. I also know Ccycle will sell them aslo but at about 3 dollars a shim.

but nearly 13 bucks for shipping?

Who, us?

Who, us?

Me also, I bought a floating piston seal for a showa and it turned into like a $25-30 deal w/shipping for like a $3 seal.

Me also, I bought a floating piston seal for a showa and it turned into like a $25-30 deal w/shipping for like a $3 seal.

Wow, unless you had that shipped overnite red I don't know how anyone can justify that for something you can throw in a stationary envelope :p

RG3 $1.00 per shim just make sure to tell the girl to ship them regular mail otherwise it goes out Over Night and you pay $25.00

theDogger

Well, floating piston seals are $15.00 and we don't set the shipping rates. UPS does. I have no control over their rates and I'm not going to absorb those costs. We don't ship seals in "stationary envelopes" because they can easily get lost in the grips of the postal service. If you order 6 shims or less, we can put them in an envelope - as long as the customer is aware that we aren't responsible if those shims never arrive at your location. Your credit card is still going to get charged. We have recourse through UPS. There is no recourse through the postal service on first class mail. On top of that, you're going to get charged a handling fee if I have to drive to the post office to ship your order. This costs me time and gas. Those of you who run your own businesses I'm sure understand this.

Very few companies will sell you 1 or 2 shims. I've gone around with Jeremy on this topic several times and he wants us to be the guys who will sell you 1 or 2 shims. That's one thing that sets us apart from many of the others. We don't have a "minimum order" like many of our competitors do. So, if you want only 1 or 2 shims, you have to understand that the freight is going to be what it is. It takes just as much time to put together a order that we're making 25 cents on as it does an order that we're going to make $250.00 on. That's why there's a handling fee.

We do the best we can to work with customers to keep shipping costs down, but I hope you all understand that it's all part of running a business.