Sign in to follow this  

....powder coat my frame...or...

last week i saw crf-only (ken's) project supermoto with a satin black frame.. it looked sawwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt... i had been thinking of doing the same thing before, but time and energy were in short supply...

..now that my X is stripped down to the frame, awaiting new motor parts NOW is the time..

...powder coat, or paint..paint or powder coat..

we all know the advantages of powder coating.. it's longer lasting and more durable.. and agreed for a show bike or a street bike it's the only obvious choice..

..but for a race dirt bike..hmmm imron paint does offer advantages as well..paint is easier to repair if and when the paint gets worn, scratched, or otherwise damaged..

power coating repairs always looks like ass..

i know a place in phoenix, that will powder coat the entire frame pretty cheap.. so cost is not a disadvantage for powder coating.. and powder coating does look purdy...

..i'm thinking satin or flat black for the frame.. and the swing arm in a dull gold to match the front forks..

..or the entire thing in black...

the thing is.. i can always get it powder coated later if i like it.. or repaint if the gold swing arm is a bit too ghetto...

..hmmmm..

..powder coat or paint..paint or powder coat...

..opinion on a satin black frame...with a gold swing arm....:p

You would definately be noticed with the gold swing arm:smirk: What color plastics would you run?

You going to run some 22's with that gold swingarm??

How about some Vogue tires?

orale holmes.

..tokyo mods...:p wid da white plasteekics...

mebbe i bit too getto... dat's another reason to actually paint it first.....:ride:

..continues...

Wow, a black frame changes the whole look of that bike. I could see it workin well for street. But black with the dust from trails might be a pain...

..tokyo mods...:p wid da white plasteekics...

maybe i bit too getto... dat's another reason to actually paint it first...

..continues...

amazing ricardo, Maybe if you power coat the whole frame Except for the area just above the frame guards keeping that part of the frame highly polished aluminum.

I would think that this area would be prone to ware and tear from your legs. and it would be just a little different than other power coated frames.

I just love the looks of that frame spar when its polished out.

Just thinking out loud. Al

ken2.jpgKensbike.jpg

Maybe gold powder coating with a black swing arm....lol

You sound like you want a pimp bike.

lf-side-1.jpg

lf-eng-1.jpg

rt-side-1.jpg

The bike looks real nice. I'm wondering if he is done with it. I can think of a number of things that would make it stand out even more. The yellow rear spring has to go if you ask me.

The yellow rear spring has to go if you ask me.

replaced by Gold Flake.:p

Anything less than 24K gold plating is un-sano. :p

OK, thinking out loud here as well...is anodizing the frame out of the question?

I don't think it will last as well a powder coating.

Maybe you could get a grill made up to match your bike too, that would be totally sawwweeet! If you're going to do it, I would only powder coat it. Imron isn't gonna take the beating and your bike will go from looking nice to looking totally clapped out very fast. Color choice is none of my bidness, so do what you want there. Just spend the extra bucks and have it powder coated.

Maybe you could get a grill made up to match your bike too, that would be totally sawwweeet! If you're going to do it, I would only powder coat it. Imron isn't gonna take the beating and your bike will go from looking nice to looking totally clapped out very fast. Color choice is none of my bidness, so do what you want there. Just spend the extra bucks and have it powder coated.

I think Powder coating is cheaper then anodizing. If you like that anodizing look you can always go with a candy apple color. I saw a guy post something about having his hub powder coated with a candy apple color and it looked just like a red anodizing. Tim would be the one to talk to about powder coating. I will see if I can get him to post on it. He did my rims and hubs and they turned out killer. His pricing was great.