Sign in to follow this  

Quick question

Are all S, and SM hubs the same: reason for asking is I found a sprocket brand and size (41t) for my SM but it says DRZ400 01-05 will it still fit a 06' SM?

Yes.

Tipsy

So a product quoted with a 01'-05' would that fit a 06' model or did the hubs change from 05' to 06'?

--Joe

All year hubs S and SM are the same.

Nice thanks for the really quick answers!

Another question if I only snaped 1 spoke and had 2 spokes pretty loose what are my chances of having to install a new spoke and tighten it down and not have to do to much truing?

Nice thanks for the really quick answers!

Another question if I only snaped 1 spoke and hand 2 spoke pretty loose what are my chances of having to install a new spoke and tighten it down and not have to do to much truing?

Fairly good...assuming it has less than 3mm wobble at the broken spoke....:p:ride:

Erling

Fairly good...assuming it has less than 3mm wobble at the broken spoke....:p:ride:

Erling

Stupid question but how do you gauge 3mm play? I've read up on 1mm of play on truling a wheel is good enough to stop...so how do you determine the play in the spokes?

Stupid question but how do you gauge 3mm play? I've read up on 1mm of play on truling a wheel is good enough to stop...so how do you determine the play in the spokes?

Jack up the front or rear which ever apply......Grab a pencil.....hold it at one end against the fork...or other part...with the rubber side close to the rim....Spin it slowly.......when there is a wobble....the rim will pull away from the rubber........3mm is around 1/8 inch....:p:ride:

Erling

Jack up the front or rear which ever apply......Grab a pencil.....hold it at one end against the fork...or other part...with the rubber side close to the rim....Spin it slowly.......when there is a wobble....the rim will pull away from the rubber........3mm is around 1/8 inch....:p:ride:

Erling

Thanks Erling...so it's my rear all I have to do is put a pencil on the swing arm closer to the rim a little before the spoke nipples?

Would a really worn chain/sprockets and old bald tire contribute to the wobble too?

Thanks Erling...so it's my rear all I have to do is put a pencil on the swing arm closer to the rim a little before the spoke nipples?

Let the rubber side of the pencil run along of the rim rarther than measure it to the nibbles....Swingarm is good..........:p:ride:

Erling

Let the rubber side of the pencil run along of the rim rarther than measure it to the nibbles....Swingarm is good..........:p:ride:

Erling

dont know if you got this part of my last post since i was editing it I guess as you were commenting back.

Would a really worn chain/sprockets and old bald tire contribute to the wobble too?

dont know if you got this part of my last post since i was editing it I guess as you were commenting back.

:moon: :moon: Maybe I did..... No They won`t....As long as you are measuring the wobble along the rim.....not the tire......then it is a function of the truing/dishing of the rim....rarther than the sprocket...tire etc...Hope this made sense....if not post up...and I will try to explain better.....:p:ride:

Erling

• Like 1

:moon: :moon: Maybe I did..... No They won`t....As long as you are measuring the wobble along the rim.....not the tire......then it is a function of the truing/dishing of the rim....rarther than the sprocket...tire etc...Hope this made sense....if not post up...and I will try to explain better.....:p:ride:

Erling

no i totally understand but my question about the chain/sproc and tire would that contribute to while riding feeling a wobble when at a higher speed say over 45 50ish?

or did I bend the mofo rim lol which is gonna be way to much money to fix lol

no i totally understand but my question about the chain/sproc and tire would that contribute to while riding feeling a wobble when at a higher speed say over 45 50ish?

or did I bend the mofo rim lol which is gonna be way to much money to fix lol

Okay....maybe....I misunderstood from the beginning.....I thought you referred to a wobble in the rim...due to a broken spoke......???? A high speed bike wobble can be a bunch of things.....tire out of round...balance....wheel alignment....etc... If you did brake a spoke.....you need to re-true the rim first....So set me straight....:p:ride:

Erling

Okay....maybe....I misunderstood from the beginning.....I thought you referred to a wobble in the rim...due to a broken spoke......???? A high speed bike wobble can be a bunch of things.....tire out of round...balance....wheel alignment....etc... If you did brake a spoke.....you need to re-true the rim first....So set me straight....:p:ride:

Erling

:moon: its a mixture of everything i was on a old RR bed fine dirt with the occational RR bed rocks I think I hit a big one with the SM rear, didn't pop the tire tho, got out on the paved road and went about 50-60 and noticed it wobbling this was before the winter hit...broke it out today to clean her up and change the oil and my buddy noticed a broken spoke, this along with a really stretched oem chain and worn sprockets plus a almost balled tire. So I'm hoping a little bit of truing new sprockets and chain in the mail as we speak just need to new tires and then i should be fine??? right? Along with the broken spoke I had 2 or 3 spokes pretty loose and some others a cupple turns in and they were tight.

set ya straight yet? lol

:banana: its a mixture of everything i was on a old RR bed fine dirt with the occational RR bed rocks I think I hit a big one with the SM rear, didn't pop the tire tho, got out on the paved road and went about 50-60 and noticed it wobbling this was before the winter hit...broke it out today to clean her up and change the oil and my buddy noticed a broken spoke, this along with a really stretched oem chain and worn sprockets plus a almost balled tire. So I'm hoping a little bit of truing new sprockets and chain in the mail as we speak just need to new tires and then i should be fine??? right? Along with the broken spoke I had 2 or 3 spokes pretty loose and some others a cupple turns in and they were tight.

set ya straight yet? lol

:banana::foul: Yeppers....... U really run`er down....ehhhh....:p

Yeppers...I would start with new spoke........True the rim.....If you know what you are doing...it can even be done while the wheel is on the bike...:lol: Just make sure whom ever you take it to...they know how to true wheels.....It`s easy to mess up.:p:ride: Then the rest...and she should be good as new.....Let`er Rip... Yes....that could defanetly be the course of your wobble..:moon: :moon:

Erling

:banana: :banana: Yeppers....... U really run`er down....ehhhh....:p

Yeppers...I would start with new spoke........True the rim.....If you know what you are doing...it can even be done while the wheel is on the bike...:lol: Just make sure whom ever you take it to...they know how to true wheels.....It`s easy to mess up.:p:ride: Then the rest...and she should be good as new.....Let`er Rip... Yes....that could defanetly be the course of your wobble..:moon: :moon:

Erling

So I prob. didnt do anything to the rim except make it a little untrue?

If thats the case it sucks I have to buy all the rear spokes when all I need is like 3 or 4 lol. But I will be buying the whole set taking the wheel off and then after they true it I'll have them throw on the new back tire along with the front and I'm going to do the sprockets and chain..any points with the sprockets I heard something about the front sprocket gets a little wobbly sometiems?? true? if so how do you prevent it?

who do i make the check out to, to pay you for your services :foul: ...thanks alot man i really appriciate it! alot!

So I prob. didnt do anything to the rim except make it a little untrue?

If thats the case it sucks I have to buy all the rear spokes when all I need is like 3 or 4 lol. But I will be buying the whole set taking the wheel off and then after they true it I'll have them throw on the new back tire along with the front and I'm going to do the sprockets and chain..any points with the sprockets I heard something about the front sprocket gets a little wobbly sometiems?? true? if so how do you prevent it?

who do i make the check out to, to pay you for your services :moon: ...thanks alot man i really appriciate it! alot!

Perhaps a visit to the frq. section look for the sprocket loctite fix.....If you havn`t been there yet....you should visit.....There are goobs of good stuff...

I am just glad to be able to help.....So many people have helped/helping me here,and I am just happy to pich in my five cent`s...:p:ride:

Erling

Perhaps a visit to the frq. section look for the sprocket loctite fix.....If you havn`t been there yet....you should visit.....There are goobs of good stuff...

I am just glad to be able to help.....So many people have helped/helping me here,and I am just happy to pich in my five cent`s...:p:ride:

Erling

I believe in paying it forward as well. An I have looked at the locktite fix was kinda confused if it was the front sprocket or the second gear in the crank case lol duhhh! now I know thanks man! take care and stay away from the idots in cars lol! ps. I put some fuel in your tank!

I believe in paying it forward as well. An I have looked at the locktite fix was kinda confused if it was the front sprocket or the second gear in the crank case lol duhhh! now I know thanks man! take care and stay away from the idots in cars lol! ps. I put some fuel in your tank!

:moon: :moon: Thanks....happy trails....:p:ride:

Erling