Sign in to follow this  

cr500 wont stay running and hard to start

i have a 1997 cr500 and it is a a royal pain to start but if i put a new plug in it it fires rite up and my carb carb also leaks any infor mation that yins may be bale to give me will be greatly appreciated

first place to start is cleaning/inspecting/maybe replacing your float valve... carb overflowing and plug fouling is a classic symptom of uncontrolled fuel level

A clean carb, air filter and proper jetting make any big bore smoker start easy and all the time. I had an 89' that I dialed in enough to kick in tennis shoes.

A clean carb, air filter and proper jetting make any big bore smoker start easy and all the time. I had an 89' that I dialed in enough to kick in tennis shoes.

Exactly. I have a '98 cr500, starts first kick when its warmed up and 2nd or 3rd when its cold.

sounds like the floats stuck, smack the float bowl. When starting a 500 . Turn the gas on, lean the bike over till gas comes out of the overflow . Then kick it with the choke on. It really helps 500's . I've had 10 or so over the years and it really helps. Make sure everything is clean also.

agreed, mine takes 3 kicks cold 1 kick hot im running a 58 pilot with stock main jet the 58 pilot helps in the cold temps

def check the jetting float height air filter and see where your idle is set at