Sign in to follow this  

handgaurd help!

alright so i currently have the metal moose racing bark busters and they fit really odd on my bars (stock 150r bars) so no matter how much i tighten them they get on more of a sloped angle. i have tried every adustment on them and im tired of them. they are sturdy on my brothers bike, but not on mine. note that he has an xr250, his bars are much more flat. so i think im going to get some cycra pro bends. the question is, which package or option? i looked on the site and i am confused as to which i should get. i have the stock bars, some help please!

How wide are your bars to start?

I use a Fly Racing (cheap:excuseme: ) CR high bend, cut down 3/8" on EACH end for a total of 3/4", which leaves somewhere in the neighborhood of 775mm width. The Moose bark busters with the large plastic deflectors fit level with a little trimming of the plastic around the master cylinder..

Note notch in brake side plastic..

KDX2001-9-09001.jpg

The Cycra bar mounts will be almost the same setup. I used the triple tree mounts on my YZ250 but with a Pro Taper Woods High bend (same width as my cut down Fly) along with a fat bar adapter which raised things 3/4" more. Got them to set level, but just barely.

Moose bark busters work great with my bar width, but I can't really offer any advise without knowing what bar and width your using.

I have new CR mid uncut bars on my RM and the moose bark busters fit with no bending.

000_0551.jpg

yea i dont know the bar width, they are just stock. thanks for the help though, but yea im just looking for a specific mount/model for the pro bends i guess.

yea mine are really sloped and if it gets layed over they become even worse, and i have to knock them down. its just really getting on my nerves so im highly considering probends i just dont know which package to get

Have you tried to bend the Moose bark busters in a vice to get them to fit better?

Why not just run roost guards? Then you dont get that heavy, bulky feel at the bars and you don't run the chance of breaking your wrists....

because not once have i gone over the bars, but i have hit trees at high speeds probably 6 or 7 times. ill stick with saving my fingers/hands from impacts rather than the slight chance of breaking a wrist or 2 in a mysterious thrown over the bars but cant let go accident. anyways, so anyone want to tell me what cycra pro-bends they run? which mounts?

I also have the straight metal bar type of hand guards on both my bikes (MSR on the CR and Moose Racing on the CRF) and I have to adjust the bends in them for every different style of handle bars I've ever used. I've had the guards that are on my '94 for 11 years and they've been re-bent and reshaped more times than I can count and have been crashed and thrashed even more. They're still strong as an ox and protect my hands as well now as they did when they were new.

Lock them down in a bench vise-with aluminum jaw inserts to prevent bite marks-and bend them to match your set up. You aren't going to hurt them. Just don't heat them and they'll be fine.

It takes a little time, bend them a little at a time and keep checking the fit....I've even altered the twist to make them match the mounting surfaces better and so they can maintain a more level line when installed.

note im 15 lol i can try that but i might make it worse. hold on, i will work on getting a picutre

I did notice your age. Just go slowly and take the time to thoroughly think everything through to make sure you're putting the right bend in the right place. It's not rocket science, just take your time and you'll be fine. What's the worst that can happen? You may well end up saving that C-note that you were planning to spend on the Pro-Bends...:p

Pretty much every aluminum bark buster I've used had to be tweaked a little to fit properly.

Acerbis does make a swivel mount that helps line things up.

if only my bike was at my house.. i hate having to store it in our trailer. lol i guess there is no chance of finding help with getting pro-bends, but oh well. ill try the bending thing eventually

I run the Pro-Bends with the normal bar mounts and they fit my Pro-Taper fat bars just dandy:thumbsup:

i keep hearing something about the ones that go all they way to the triple clamp, anyone have those? how is the sturdyness?

i keep hearing something about the ones that go all they way to the triple clamp, anyone have those? how is the sturdyness?

I have the Cycra triple clamp mounts on my 450 with the Moose handguards. They work well, but I used a matching section of alum. bar as a cross member between the two mounts to make everything stronger.

alright so for the pro bends there are the center reach mounts, which are 125 dollars. theres the u-clamps, which are 110.then there are triple clamp front mounts and side mounts, both are 110. there is also the "solution" ones, so im really confused on which ones to get. not the u clamps for sure, the center reach ones look like they would be kind of good, but so do both the triple clamp ones.