IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

how would you recommend to break a bike in.(please comment asap!!)

hey guy's i just got my kx 450f the other day back from the shop its been completely rebuilt, (top and bottom end) im really in need of some advice though, theres a harescramble tommorow its not a race, just a huge group of rider's going at their own pace through an absolutely muddy course. (on a small island thats very muddy, im curious is it ok to take my rebuilt bike (with 0 hours) and ride it there? i will be taking it easy (no more than halve throttle) but do you think it will be ok to ride with?? how long is a break in 40 minutes an hour or what?? thanks guys.

three five minute heat cycles idling on a stand a hour apart, then let her rip just did mine today

Your best bet is to go by the manufacturers recommeded break in procedure. After all they built and engineered the bike. No one else will no better than them. :p

I ride easy for a while and then you PIN it. All of my engines are doing fine.

Your best bet is to go by the manufacturers recommeded break in procedure. After all they built and engineered the bike. No one else will no better than them. :p

I second that notion.......also muddy and sandy conditions are the hardest on your bike so thats probably not the best place to break your newly rebuilt engine in

Let it warm up really good, then ride it like you plan to ride it from there on out. Worked great with my bike.

Let it warm up really good, then ride it like you plan to ride it from there on out. Worked great with my bike.

+1....:p

i was told for the first 500ks dont go fast at all,i.e one quater to a half throttle max

i would take a good, long look at that moto-tune article, i have read lots of his stuff and he seems very legit :p i think ill be trying his way next time.....and iv never heard of anyone actually damaging the bike going his way, just make sure u completely warm up the bike each time u start it and change oil/check valves often!

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but this guy is an idiot. His theories on break-in assume that only the rings need to be seated, and nothing else requires any break-in in a new/newly rebuilt engine, and that's just not the cases. Bearings need to bed in to their races, losing the high-spots that cause hot spots and micro-welding, and the same for pistons. Forged pistons need to be stress-relieved. All those new metal parts need to become intimately familiar with their adjoining parts. His method may indeed improve ring seal, but at the expense of shortening the life of every other component.

I am a certified diesel mechanic, and we always load the engines down on the dyno for break in. If a dyno is not available we just put them under high load and run the hell out of them.

so what i should do is beat the living piss out of it? seriously i mean thanks for the info but why in the hell would i want to go full throttle on a bike with new head valves cams bottom end bearings everything that doesnt make sence to me? but ill let a couple more people comment on it.

i wish someone would do some kind of scientific, head to head test between an engine broken in the moto tune way, and one done the oem way.....compare HP, torque, longevity, failure, everything...that would be great!

so what i should do is beat the living piss out of it? seriously i mean thanks for the info but why in the hell would i want to go full throttle on a bike with new head valves cams bottom end bearings everything that doesnt make sence to me? but ill let a couple more people comment on it.

Not beat the piss out of it but don't baby it either. Warm the bike up and ride it like you're going to ride it......:p

i will admit that i did once a time ago hear that the way you brake it in is the way the rest of its life should be treated

probably insignificant

Start it, let it run for 5 minutes.

Shut if off let it cool

Repeat once or twice (this usually is to burn off all of the oil applied when replacing a top end or such)

Take it out and baby it (not bogging or overevving) for 10 minutes.

Ride it like you stole it

:p