Sign in to follow this  

Polished my exhaust cover!

I was really bored yesterday so i found some old sandpaper laying around and made the exhaust cover shiny! I also did a couple other things...:p Next i'm going to do the actual pipe....Or maybe i'll just spraypaint them both with some high-temp silver paint...

PICT0288.jpg?t=1236480428

PICT0289.jpg?t=1236480513

That's exactly why i'm probably going to buy some silver high-temp spray paint...

you would polish it up real nice with 1200 grit sand paper then rubbing compound (make it have a mirror finish) then take it to an automotive body shop and ask them to put a few coats of clear on it with the next thing they paint.

alright thanks...Can i polish it with my hands or do i need to use a special air tool? What rubbing compound should i buy?

I don't know how it would hold up, but they make clear coat spray paint. I have used it many times on other applications.

you can definitely do it by hand, what was the last grit you used on it so far?

I don't know how it would hold up, but they make clear coat spray paint. I have used it many times on other applications.

Great!!! thanks!

I just found a sander my dad has! It hooks up to the air compressor. I'm going to use 600 grit for now and then i'll go to the store today and get some higher grit...I'll also buy rubbing compound and maybe clear coat spray paint!

if you have already done it with 600 then dont do it again, do 800, then 1000, then 1200, then polish it with any metal polish. go to napa or autozone or something like that. then go to town. the clear wont make it any more shiny, it will just keep it like that longer. it will probably wear off with your boot after a while. might just polish it then keep polishing it. if it rubs through the clear it would be a pita to make look nice because you would have to take all the clear off to re-do it basically.

^Ok thanks! I really appreciate your help! Today i'll go get some 800, 1000, and 1200. I'll buy some metal polish also and probably clear coat spray paint.

I wasn't able to get the sandpaper or polish today because my dad was sick today...Oh well...Maybe tomorrow.

I really wouldnt clear it. There is a good chance it will look like poo once it gets hot. but they clear engine covers (I think) Just done be disappointed if it doesnt work well

Just nickle or zinc it. It will make it shiny, but not chrome shiny. Plus it will be somewhat rust-proof. You should be able to find a place that will do it pretty cheap, unless they have minimums. If they do, just get all your nuts, bolts, brake rod and axles and anything you can throw in there done.

I don't want this thing to rust so should i just spray paint it silver?