Sign in to follow this  

Busted my case saver bolt off! ......*&%@#!

Okay after having my bike in peaces for the last 2 months! I finally got around to putting it back together today and what do I do on the last bolt to be installed? You guessed it! snapped the dang case saver bolt right off in the case!

Now I do have to blame myself a little bit since the threads were a little jacked on the inside of the case and using my force it mentality I over wrenched on the bolt thinking I was going to fix the threads inside the case.

so anyway how should I go about getting this dang thing out? I would prefer to not ride around without the case saver in place just incase I do go throw a chain. Thanks!

Drill it smaller than the bolt itself and use an easy out. Just make sure when you drill the bolt it doesn't go in at an angle or you will drill into the threads. Then when it's out use a metric tap to clean the threads out. If you live in So-Cal bring it over and I can remove it for you and clean the threads with my metric tap and die set. Oh and a 6 pack of some cold and refreshing beverage.:p

Drill it smaller than the bolt itself and use an easy out. Just make sure when you drill the bolt it doesn't go in at an angle or you will drill into the threads. Then when it's out use a metric tap to clean the threads out. If you live in So-Cal bring it over and I can remove it for you and clean the threads with my metric tap and die set. Oh and a 6 pack of some cold and refreshing beverage.:p

Well the cost in gas for me to get to socal would be more then finding the easy out size I need. But thanks for the offer! I just need to go find the right size easy out now I guess.

Anyone know if the case saver bolt holes have enough material to replace them with a helicoil?

I bought a package of easy outs and the smallest one will work for those smaller bolts. Just make sure to center punch the bolt face and use a drill bit small enough not to hit the threads and drill it straight. No need for a heli-coil.