Sign in to follow this  

dr650 float needle replacement?

after carburetor and petcock teamed up to fill my airbox and engine with fuel, I replaced the petcock and the two o-rings on the float bowl assembly, it tried to do it again - so my thinking is the float needle is still fouled up. My question is - is there any way to replace the needle and seat (mine is the one piece float assembly) without having to drop $50 or more on a new float assembly. 2000 dr650, 13000 miles, california model - emissions equipment got lost on it's trip to oregon.

stock carb btw

after carburetor and petcock teamed up to fill my airbox and engine with fuel, I replaced the petcock and the two o-rings on the float bowl assembly, it tried to do it again - so my thinking is the float needle is still fouled up. My question is - is there any way to replace the needle and seat (mine is the one piece float assembly) without having to drop $50 or more on a new float assembly. 2000 dr650, 13000 miles, california model - emissions equipment got lost on it's trip to oregon.

stock carb btw

I think the answer is no.... unless someone knows of an after market needle seat set-up. :p I'd double check everything and make sure the inlet tube filter has not allowed a large chunk of something to get into the needle and seat. Strange that the new petcock allowed the fuel to drain past while sitting. I'd take that leaker back to the dealer... they don't give those away either right? :ride:

I think the answer is no.... unless someone knows of an after market needle seat set-up. :p I'd double check everything and make sure the inlet tube filter has not allowed a large chunk of something to get into the needle and seat. Strange that the new petcock allowed the fuel to drain past while sitting. I'd take that leaker back to the dealer... they don't give those away either right? :ride:

The raptor petcock is working perfectly, off means off, and I finally got the float assembly apart - the needle looks fine and from what I can tell the seat does not appear mis-shapen, although it's hard to get a clear view. But doing the "water level" trick with a clear hose on the drain tube it appears that fuel is finding a level above the float bowl, almost to the throttle plate, when the petcock is turned on.

Thanks for your input Rob, I decided the cash spent on a float was good money after bad, so there is a new to me 39mm fcr-mx on it's way to my door now

It's likely the real culprit was the oring that seals the float valve to the carb body.

Thanks for your input Rob, I decided the cash spent on a float was good money after bad, so there is a new to me 39mm fcr-mx on it's way to my door now

:):banghead: :banghead:

Best DR650 ROI IMHO.

A thanks to the pro-cycle guys btw, the jets for the fcr I ordered yesterday were in my mailbox today (I know i'm only 100 miles away) but that is still damn fast.