Sign in to follow this  

what is the best cleaner for an o ring chain

I would like to soak it in gas then bath in 80wt, but I don't want to damage the o rings. So what is the best way to trat your o ring chain when it is caked in crud other than using different lube?Thanks.:p

I would like to soak it in gas then bath in 80wt, but I don't want to damage the o rings. So what is the best way to trat your o ring chain when it is caked in crud other than using different lube?Thanks.:p

I use Kerosene. But NOT straight jet fuel Kerosene, the kind that comes in a gallon jug that you use for a kerosene lamp. Just poor some on a rag and wipe the chain down, Let it evaperate and then apply the new oil.

A website on Chain Lubing Looks like they recommend motorexchainclean they claim : "It does clean most of the chain and blasts away the light residue, but not the heavier deposits. Since it is just about the only chain cleaning product we've found, it's become indispensable in our shop."

NEVER USE WD-40

This guy talks about WD-40 and why not to use it on bicycle chains, And how much more torque does a motorcycle chain endure compared to a bicycle...

I use mineral spirits on my x-ring chain works great.

Quote from: http://www.ekchain.com/clean.htm

Never clean your sealed chain with pressure washers, steam cleaning, wire brushes, or volatile solvents such as gasoline, mineral spirits, contact cleaner or acetone, all of which can damage the O-rings.

Kerosene may be safely used for cleaning, provided you have adequate ventilation and no ignition sources nearby. Commercial spray-on chain cleaners typically must be rinsed off with water. This could lead to the formation of rust, so use of these products is discouraged.

They don't offer any reasons on why not to use mineral spirits but i figured you might be interested.

Just don't use a tacky lube, and then get a stiff plastic bristle brush, and scrub all four sides. With your bike on a stand, the chain should be clean in a few minutes. I use WD40 after washing the bike/chain just to stop rust forming. Then I use Inox oil before riding. So the chain never really has much crud on it. Except in mud riding of course.

btw: I use to pressure wash my previous RK 520SO chain the time. But not blasting it real hard. I don't think the water got inside the pins too badly because after 80 hrs, it had near zero stretch. However the roller were badly worn.

Well it looks like I will soak in kerosene then dry and bath in 80 wt then i will continue lubing with maxima synthetic chain guard[crystal clear] it comes in a smaller bottle for the same price but seems to go a long way. I have tried the wax and the bel ray white crap as well and by far this seems the better and cleaner! I can't stand all the crap that gets on the swingarm and rear hub from the other stuff even though they call it fling resistant! Thanks for the input guys!Some good links there too, I may just have to try the specific chain cleaner if the kerosene don't work out. :p

I've never cleaned my chain other then when power washing my bike, I use motul chan lube, its bling bling green color is suhweet!! Chains lasted since 06 still never stretched...a good high quality chain and some lube....your good to go!

I use WD40

Me too... You use any solvents, and you'll dry out the O-rings. They're just rubber.