Sign in to follow this  

00 Rm250 Odd Cylinder And Piston Wear

Ok i have a 2000 rm 250 with odd cylinder and piston wear. the intake side of the piston has grooves worn into it from the bottom most part of the cylinder like its been rubbing. Now ive pulled out the past three piston out of this thing and they are all like that. Eventually scoring and cracking and breaking...not good. Possible causes????? thanks

too much clearance... time to get some measurements and see if your cylinder is worn out

I personally hate sleaves.. plating is much tougher and a much better choice, IMO

yeah thats the one...but does anyone know where i can find a replacement head thats not gonna break the bank

there is a place in wisconsin called millennium technologies. i have heard nothing but good things about them and my dad has used them several times.....they do an amazing job and can do a big bore or the standard bore and re nikasil the cylinder.....my 99 rm 250 is doing the same thing from the sounds of it....does it look anything like this???

Piston001.jpg

Post a pic of the piston and cylinder where the scuffing is. Also a pic of the head would help too.

No need to my piston looks exactly like that. it gets grooved and evetually cracks and shatters....so there should be nothing wrong with the crank then..i mean there shouldnt be i just had a brand new crank put in lasxt summer...bearings and all

i am guessing the same cylinderis worn to far for stock piston gap and its cathing on the intake i would take it in and have it rebuilt, eric gore is a great builder but a little spendy you can get the same work done cheeper by the shop he started at GSR race porting, the did all my hill climb bikes a full top end rebuild new sleve ported and plated with wiseco was 325 shipped and i had it back and in the bike in 7 days. givin that those bikes are cr500 its hard to say becouse there is no powervalve clearences to wory aboute you might give them a call i believe iether eric or glen at gsr would want the complete motor just to ensure evevery thing lines up exactle for the suzuki i can tell you my GSR motor was $250 cheeper ran twice as good lasted longer and flat out beat the piss out of my eric gore motor.

No need to my piston looks exactly like that. it gets grooved and evetually cracks and shatters....so there should be nothing wrong with the crank then..i mean there shouldnt be i just had a brand new crank put in lasxt summer...bearings and all

if you have the cylinder off...use a little mirror and some wd-40...spray off the inside of the cylinder by the intake side....then check the intake bridges for cracks....if its cracked it will make the intake bridge bow out and rub on the piston

I have the same bike' my piston looked just like that when I went to do the 1st top end on it since I ownwed it. The bottom of the cylinder was much wider than the top. Also while you send the cylinder out do yourself a favor and get the intake bridges welded to strengthen them. They get weak and bend and can cause a seizure. I got a 265cc cylinder from gorr and it's pretty good. I can acually keep up with the 4 stroke 450's on up hills' Something I couldn't do before the 265 cylinder.