Sign in to follow this  

fuel conbsumption high

I have an FCR with 3x3 mode and my fuel consumption seems to have nearly doubled. I used to get around 120km before going to reserve, but the last couple of tank fulls I only seem to be getting around 80km.

Average speed would only be about 70 - 80km.

I can't seem to detect any smell of fuel and can not see any leaks.

Any ideas ?

Hmmmm...

I wonder if the FCR is bigger than stock, therefore consuming more fuel?

:p Just buggin' ya

I only get 80-90KMs to a tank and I have the stock carb

?? thats crazy. I have fcr, 3x3, fmf exhaust and i norm get 80miles(128k) before i have to hit the reserve. But i do tend to baby it some what. Was it a instant drop as soon as you put the fcr in? do you have exhaust?

I have an FCR with 3x3 mode and my fuel consumption seems to have nearly doubled. I used to get around 120km before going to reserve, but the last couple of tank fulls I only seem to be getting around 80km.

Average speed would only be about 70 - 80km.

I can't seem to detect any smell of fuel and can not see any leaks.

Any ideas ?

Hi Phil, :p

What was the last thing you did to your bike before the mileage dropped off?

Take Care,

Greg

Air filter dirty?

*reconsiders doing the 3x3*

I'm trying to extend my MPG over power... any good tips on improving efficiency other than clean filter, iridium spark, tyre pressure and re-gearing with new sprockets?

I'm trying to extend my MPG over power... any good tips on improving efficiency other than clean filter, iridium spark, tyre pressure and re-gearing with new sprockets?

Adjust your riding style.

Adjust your riding style.

4th gear doing 30mph. Central London riding requires a bit of aggression. I've piped down a little but still keeping the necessary.

>65mpg at the moment (british gallons)

I am aiming for +70mpg

I get 80-90 on a tank easily, doesn't seem to matter how I ride.

Got an 01 400s with approx. 19000km on it. Since new I have filled it up, set the tripmeter and @ 180 to 190 km it hits reserve. Average 65 MPG. Just like clockwork. Doesn't seem to matter what type of driving I do (highway,city,off road or mixed). What tires are on it or pressure. What sprockets are on it(15/44,15/47,14/47). 3x3 and rejeted about 1/2 way through.

I guess if you short shift, keep speed below 80 kmph and treat the throttle like the cable is about to break you might get 70 mpg. But wheres the fun in that!

I've had the FCR on for a while and used to get around 120km, before hitting reserve.

I haven't done anything to the engine, but I have let the bike sit for 1 month, then came back and went through 2 tanks in about 150km.

Yes, when I had the stock carb, I also got around 180km before reserve.

Harvey, 80-90 miles to the tank is what I am getting, in my little anorak style nerdiness I write down the miles (in decimals) i've done to the decimal of a litre i do. works out average of just over 65 miles to the gallon.

Gearing wise, 39T rear, front must be stock 15T, never checked. Filter changed in January.

Gearing wise, 39T rear, front must be stock 15T, never checked.

A bit off topic but have you loctited the cs sprocket and nut?

Most likely in the jetting..... I have a 470 SSW......get`s consistent`ly 58 mpg (us) commuting/city.......:p:ride:

Erling

I average 75 miles before i hit reserve and thats a standard bike apart from a full yoshi system.

Harvey, 80-90 miles to the tank is what I am getting, in my little anorak style nerdiness I write down the miles (in decimals) i've done to the decimal of a litre i do. works out average of just over 65 miles to the gallon.

Gearing wise, 39T rear, front must be stock 15T, never checked. Filter changed in January.

Lol, no worries. I'm running stock gearing 15/41 with 3x3, JD jet kit and Akrapovic pipe.

Lol, no worries. I'm running stock gearing 15/41 with 3x3, JD jet kit and Akrapovic pipe.

Sod that, if you're getting the same MPG as me with those extras I might aswell do the same. I hear the 3x3 really makes a big difference.

It makes a good difference, my bike ran stronger everywhere with just the 3x3 and jet kit. So if you want to do that while you save for a pipe, it's definitely worth doing.

Hi crawler, :p

You might do well to avoid going down the 3x3 rejetting road if you want to retain good mileage, because it's a performance mod not an economy one. To get better mileage I left the intake stock and instead tried other things like lowering, lightening, narrowing the profile...

IMG_1773.jpg

...and modifying the exhaust for low end torque...

IMG_1777.jpg

A modded exhaust helps the most because low rpm torque is what allows you to short shift without lugging the engine.

A bone stock DRZSM driven as a normal transportation vehicle will average 65 mpg. Economy mods can slightly increase that. Mine averages just over 70 mpg which is an increase of 8% over stock. Haven't been able to do any better than that.

Take Care,

Greg