Sign in to follow this  

Stupid float valve....Good at pulling carb now

The bad news is my float valve was stuck again, but this time it was stuck open. It was pouring gas out of the over flow.

I am getting good at pulling the carb with the subframe and airbox in place. It takes a little practice and I have to take out my zipty fuel screw to clear but it's not too bad.

Took out the valve and it was gummed up again as usual. I used a scotch brite to polish the aluminum valve and brass seat. Put it back together and it started right up and was good as new.

Why do these things do this? I tried to add some fuel stabilizer but it did not help. Should I sand down the ridges on the valve to make it a little smaller?

after having this problem myself I have concluded with my mechanic that the fuel stabilizer is what caused mine to fail? the actual tip of the float valve would rub off black on your finger? we think the chemicals in the fuel stb. broke down the material.now for storage I drain the tank and the carb.

My problem has been gumming up on the ribbed sides. It did stick closed once but the rubber tip looked fine.

I don't think its the fuel, its just something about these bikes.

I had no end of it happening with my 07 but the weird thing is i've also got an 07 crf250 which i used excactly the same fuel out of the same container & both bikes would sit together in the garage but come time to start them up the crf, no problem, rmz, float valve stuck either open or shut!

I replaced the bowl screws with allen head bolts & got an allen key with a ball head & could remove the bowl without even tilting the carb, much quicker & easier.

Anyway i sold the bike because it just seemed to have endless little problems like that, seemed like i could never just get on it & ride without something going wrong with it, unlike my honda & yamahas! (i'm prob gonna get slammed for that comment, but its true)

are you guys using race gas or normal high octane pump gas. Just wondering my 07 has never had problems, knock on wood.

I was just using pump gas, but like i can't see how its a gas problem because the same gas has never caused it on any of my other bikes with fcr carbs.

I reckon Suzuki must spec a different float valve or something compared to other brands?

Pump gas here too. I think it could be ethanol mixed in but I want to see if another part would be interchangeable.

my 07 did the same thing the second day i had it but i also bought it last june, brand new of course just a new left over. anyway is was stuck shut and gummed up on the ribs. i cleaned it with scotch brite put a new fuel line on it drained out the gas and cleaned the fuel valve. also started using stail bil in every fill up and never had a problem since. i also shut the valve off and let the bike idle for a little bit so the bowl empties out a little.