Sign in to follow this  

GPS anti-vibration tech tip

After my first GPS got vibrated to death, I came up with this quick and easy anti-vibration fix for the Ram mount.

All I did was cut four pieces of 1/8" ID thick wall rubber vacuum tubing approx. 1/4" long. Find some longer screws for the cradle mount (about 1" I think) and use the little pieces of tubing as insulators.

Before when the engine was revved the LCD image on the screen would shake around pretty violently, with the insulators installed it don't vibrate nearly as bad. It also gives the cradle a lot more flex in the rough stuff rather than the GPS absorbing all the shock.

IMG_0409.jpg

Neat idea.

I had a GPS mount break and lost my GPS. The good news; I was in a new riding area and made frequent stops to check the GPS so noticed the loss at the next intersection. The bad news; two of us spent 1 1/2 hours walking the trail in search of the GPS.

So I recommend securing the lanyard to the bike.

Here is a pic of a quickly made replacement mount I built so I could ride the next weekend. I built it as a test to see what amount of isolation I needed and it provides enough compliance that there is no indication of vibration and it has held up for the rest of the summer and fall. Now I need to redo it with improved appearance and better securety. The foam is from the bar pad.

GPSMounted.jpg

GPSMount.jpg

I'll have to do that since on my two stroke the GPS got vibrated so much it wouldn't work and shut off. I also have a RAM mount.

A lot of that vibration shut downn is the batterys. The vibrations cause the batterys to spark at there contact points. This sparking causes carbon arcing. After a while there is so much carbon build up that the batteries wont flow no juice.

The solution is to make sure your batteries are in there tight via shims or other means.

The best solution is to hardwire the gps to the bikes battery if you have one.

A lot of that vibration shut downn is the batterys. The vibrations cause the batterys to spark at there contact points. This sparking causes carbon arcing. After a while there is so much carbon build up that the batteries wont flow no juice.

The solution is to make sure your batteries are in there tight via shims or other means.

The best solution is to hardwire the gps to the bikes battery if you have one.

That wasn't the case with mine, it had internal damage from the vibrations. But still an external power source is a good idea.