Sign in to follow this  

08 YZ250F Hotrod or OEM replacement crank??

Ok, I have a 100% stock YZ250F and the lower crank bearing went out on me. So my question is do I go w/ a new stocker, or do the Hot Rod replacement?? Does the Hot Rod crank have a good or bad history??

Also, will my stock crank bearings fit on a Hot Rod crank? Thanks for any help!!!

ugh, why not just replace the bearing?

Is there play in the rod?

Yamaha/OEM Bearings fit the Hot Rod Crank. Either way you go you should order new OEM bearings.

HotRoad i think also has a stroker if you want more cc. (If you race in the 250 class with a stroker crank, your a cheater :p )

I have most of the motor appart, but don't have the crank actually out. Right now the rod is kinda tight on the crankpin but it still turns. There is no big shrapnel or carnage, just the lower end of the rod tightened up and she quit running. I probably could just have a new rod / bering / pin put on the old crank, just that I wanted to have it up and spinning for next weekend. Guess I'll have to see how much cheaper that would be.

Also, is this at all common for these bikes?? I warm it up good, and change the oil / filter when needed. The bike only has 15 ish hours on it. The only reason I can figure why I lost the rod bearing is cuz it's spent it's whole life so far riding on the ice at HIGH RPM for good periods of time.

oil starvation. it was tipped over running. ran out of oil or neglected. thats how it happens. check the oil pump and filter for anything irregular.

replace the crank, bearings and counter bearings. you will be mad if you put it back together and you hear a loud hiss from the counter balancer bearings. the worst place to save a buck is the bottom end of a motor.

Find what you can get cheaper between the oem and hot rods. I can get the hot rod cranks cheaper than I can oem so thats all I run. I have never had a problem with hot rod cranks. If you are replacing the crank you should replace the main bearings and vice versa. It makes no sense to replace the one without the other. I swear by hot rod cranks aside from oem. They have never failed me and I have used them on pretty much all of my Mx bikes. Good luck what ever you decide. :p

oil starvation. it was tipped over running. ran out of oil or neglected. thats how it happens. check the oil pump and filter for anything irregular.

replace the crank, bearings and counter bearings. you will be mad if you put it back together and you hear a loud hiss from the counter balancer bearings. the worst place to save a buck is the bottom end of a motor.

Well, it has plenty of oil, about 2 tanks since the last change, has NEVER been on it's side yet, and sure as hell isn't neglected. I do plan to inspect the oil pump when I get that far into it.

Yeah, ice racing on a 250F is definitely a torture test. Thats why I have never ice raced, I would have to be running at 14000 rpm non stop to keep up to the 450's at the track here. No doubt that had something to do with the pre-mature failure.

Yes the big end is the weak point on these motors normally ok til you have big hours on them.

MM

I know of plenty of 250F motors with well over 300 hours on them and the bottom end is still within spec. Something has gone unusualy wrong with yours, this is not normal.

[quote^^ he has a stock one.

]

I realize that.

My post was about replacing the stock crank with a Wiesco chinese crank.