Sign in to follow this  

Supercross slipper clutches in sx?

on this is kinda out there but.... did you notice that when millsaps CLEANED out 800? his bike didn't hit the ground and was deff in gear when he was coming out of the corner... when he got to his bike the rear tire was on the ground but he just jumped on and took off.... bike was still running. so my question is do you think they run a slipping clutch of some sort like a recluse? i know they don't all do it as they stall it in corners. but what gives his bike was on davi's and rear was on the ground in gear and it didn't die?? i want a bike that does that!

I think you are confusing slipper clutches with recluse, they are different.

by slipper clutches im meaning something similar to a recluse.. i know they are diff... thats why i explained something like a recluse. am i crazy or did anyone else see that? if not its on again right now on speed.

I think I remember reading a year ago or so somewhere that some of the riders are using the FMF setup, and the STM setup for supercross only. It's definitely a good idea.

i know some of them do because i snapped this pic at the last race of the outdoors Steel City 08" see his Rekluse cover , im asuming if he has the cover his has the clutch also

102_2233.jpg

I noticed that too - they're definitely running something different - able to pick up the bike in gear (no hand on the clutch) and it's still running? My '06 YZ450 can't do that with the standard clutch : )

It is my understanding that alot of the pros are using a rekluse style clutch

Yeah, I've been noticing lately that there are a lot of guys keeping the bike running in a spill and it looks pretty obvious they are using some sort of centrifugal clutch.

Jlaw said in an interview that he uses one, but only in Sx but might try one this summer for Mx too.

I run a slipper clutch for supermoto, you cant leave it in gear and it not stall it must be one of those Rekluse clutches, I do love my slipper for motocross, no major engine braking in tight corners, its kinda like a 2 smoke in the corners not such a sudden decelaration when you release the clutch, depending how much traction is out there i can drop it 2-3 gears and let the clutch out as i enter a corner ill get some engine braking but it keeps the Rpms up and can stay on the pipe and up shift right out of the corner.

i mean it does make since to use one i just thought it was kinda funny no one ever talks about this at all. and to be honest i never looked for one... i see the hinsen cover all the time and kinda ignore the rest. i will tell you im looking in vegas and i will ask the question to some of the other guys that will talk to you.. no way to talk to reed/ stewart/ or villi. too may people. maybe i can grab kdub. i have talked to him alot.

From what I've read they are starting to run them since Recluse has figured out how to use the auto clutches keeping the standard clutch for normal use, just basically making the bike unstallable... Personally I love my new ktm450sxf with the Estart button.