Sign in to follow this  

06 Wr suspension problems

I just bought an '06 WR250, and realized that the rear preload adjustments were pretty much all the way down, making the supsension VERY stiff. I "raised" the adjustment collars to no avail. It almost seems as if the shock is faulty or the linkage is sticking. You can press down on the rear of the bike and after a couple inches the suspension will not compress any further. There are no zerk fittings for the linkage, so they could possibly be at fault? But I did notice that the bike sat too low after the adjustment. When I picked up on the rear it actually lifted the rear wheel. My guess is the shock, and my first check seems to be to take the shock out, and observe travel of the subframe and linkage, hopefully ruling one or the other out. What would be a good starting point to determining my problem? After searching I cannot find any suspension issues with these bikes. Thanks for any input on this problem...

It's hard to pinpoint the issue when the bike is together. You need to remove the shock and then move the swing arm through it's travel. If theres still more than expected resistance then you will want to check the bearings. Either way though. I would suggest taking apart the linkage and swingarm bearings, cleaning, re-greasing, then re-assembling. This is if they are still fine. But if they are not, then replace. But if the shock is at fault, I would send both the front and rear suspension out to be rebuilt, the previous owner only knows how long it's been, and if the previous owner is like 95% of the rest of the motorcycle rider population, the suspension probably has never been touched.