Sign in to follow this  

Question about blood pressure meds and cramps

I have a little high blood pressure and have to take medication for it. The pills also have a diuretic or water pill in them. To be precise it's Diovan 80mg and HTC 12.5.

Today and once last summer during a race I got muscle cramps to the point I had to stop. My forearms cramped so bad I couldn't let out the clutch. I know I had a death grip on the bars but riding single track in the trees it's hard to ride loose.

I also got cramps in other muscles but not as bad.

It was upper 70's and I had on a thin under shirt, ballistic jersey and a riding jersey, I was Hot. Last week it was down to 5 degrees here and I'm not used to the warmer temps.

My question is, does the meds make the cramps worse? I drank some liquids today and during the race last fall. But I think I might be playing against a stacked deck.

I'm on meds for my blood pressure, too. I noticed that I was getting severe cramps in my hands, forearms, when riding on the track. I was also cramping up real bad, when riding my road bike (bicycle).

Turns out I was severely dehydrated, and didn't even know it. I've been using Cytomax while riding, and bought some electrolyte powders to use during the day. No more cramps.

From an earlier post

Iv'e always had problems with cramps ,when my son started playing football a few years ago he carried on the tradition. Used to take the usuall supplements,magnesium,calcium potassium and ate foods high in them. Tried various sport drinks over the years then found Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recovery,with this product, proper diet and conditioning cramps are a thing of the past. It's in my camel back when I'm on my mountain bike,dirtbike,hiking, hunting and in my water bottle at work durring the summer. Check it out on line , it works for us.

I have never had muscle cramps until taking blood pressure meds. I was prescribed 4mg of Coversyl daily. My fingers also locked up quite a bit. I noticed the fingers locking up last summer after riding in very warm temps.

What pisses me off is that my doctor prescribed me the meds after a single office visit and never once asked about lifestyle, diet, stress level, etc... Of course he had a trial pack of the meds in his back pocket....

I've since went off the bp meds voluntarily and the muscle cramping is gone (along with the lack of energy)... With diet I can keep it in the 145/90 range...

I've since went off the bp meds voluntarily and the muscle cramping is gone (along with the lack of energy)... With diet I can keep it in the 145/90 range...

Good for you loops:thumbsup: Be proactive on the things we can, no one can take better care of you than yourself. Then we ride dirt bikes that have nooo respect for our well being:lol: