Sign in to follow this  

Burro Schmidt tunnel from Cal City

Most of our riding group have never been to Burro Schmidt's tunnel and I wanted to know if it is possible to ride there from Cal City. We usually camp near tank 5 and on occasion near Borax Bill park. Any trails off Chrysler loop? Will R5 get us down there? How would we cross the valley floor (looks like a lot of fenced off areas)?

Most of our riding group have never been to Burro Schmidt's tunnel and I wanted to know if it is possible to ride there from Cal City. We usually camp near tank 5 and on occasion near Borax Bill park. Any trails off Chrysler loop? Will R5 get us down there? How would we cross the valley floor (looks like a lot of fenced off areas)?

You should be able to do it. The main thing is a legal way to get across the highway. I think that you have to be east of R5 a few miles before something legal gets to the highway, but I'm not sure. You really need a Friends of Jawbone map to find the way.

Pretty simple, Take R43 over the Rands then pick up EP11 or EP 100 using

Rail Road right away

Ep 100 has signs for tunnel

Left on EP15 follow signs

Alternate... R5 over rands, turn right R50, left on R43

Be sure not to miss R50 turn or you will end up on the Khoen Dry/Wet lake

Wayne

Thanks guys. I have a Friends of Jawbone map and I saw R43 heading over through the valley floor but I have never been past R50 on it and wasn't sure if I could cross the road that way. I've been on R5 and R50 and they are 5th gear sleeper roads and I was looking for something a little more interesting. Has anyone done this route? I'm guessing about 25 miles each way? We have a couple of smaller 2 strokes in our group and they are questionable on their range.

Bring extra gas.

Ride through the Rands on a trail(s) of your choice. Get the BLM map/permission slip at Borax Bill's.

Hook up with R43 on the other (north) side.

R43 north to the RR tracks and go over/under.

Cross the highway at Garlock (old wood bldgs).

North on EP100 and you are there.

We did this about a month ago.

Any guesstimate how many miles? How do you carry extra gas?? My buddies use Gatorade bottles but I really don't care for that.

Ive ridden from Borax Bills up to Randsberg, over To McIvers Cabin, down to Jawbone for gas, and Back to Borax bills. Thats was 148 miles total for that loop. If i had to guess, i would say Cal City to the tunnel and back is close to 70 miles. Also, look into the Platypus bags. I believe they sell em at Sports Chalet. We use the 2+liter ones. They work awesome and dont leak.

http://crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23498&highlight=platypus

Any guesstimate how many miles? How do you carry extra gas?? My buddies use Gatorade bottles but I really don't care for that.

MSR fuel bottles for backpacking.

70 miles is about right for a straight shot there and back.

I did that ride last week. We started at Crysler and rode to Schmidt Tunnel and back. It was about 73 miles total. I have a fork tank that holds an extra 1.3 gallons of gas. My riding buddy ran out of gas about 10 miles short of our camp site. He has a 3.2gal tank. I gave him the extra gas to get back. He rides a KTM 300. I thought we would have gotten better gas milage because we were in 4th and 5th most of the way. So yeah, make sure you have enough gas.

I did that ride last week. We started at Crysler and rode to Schmidt Tunnel and back. It was about 73 miles total. I have a fork tank that holds an extra 1.3 gallons of gas. My riding buddy ran out of gas about 10 miles short of our camp site. He has a 3.2gal tank. I gave him the extra gas to get back. He rides a KTM 300. I thought we would have gotten better gas milage because we were in 4th and 5th most of the way. So yeah, make sure you have enough gas.

Thats not too bad for a 2 stroke though. My CR250 with a 3.7 only got about 65 miles to a tank.

I have a 3.8 gal tank on my XR400 and although I have never run out of gas I am guessing I won't make 70+ miles. I was guessing it was around 50 miles by looking at the map, that would have been a bad mistake. I am going to have to look into the MSR bottles and the Platypus, both look promising. Thanks to all.:p

I have a 3.8 gal tank on my XR400 and although I have never run out of gas I am guessing I won't make 70+ miles. I was guessing it was around 50 miles by looking at the map, that would have been a bad mistake. I am going to have to look into the MSR bottles and the Platypus, both look promising. Thanks to all.:p

Your XR400 will have no problem doing that trip on less than one tank of gas. My XR400 will do 80+ miles on the stock tank, easily.

Last 65 mile 'hard ride' loop we took, I returned to camp with a 1/4 tank left.

That loop was 1/3 sandwashes and 1/3 singletrack. the ride to Shmidt Tunnel is an easy dirt road trek.

Have fun...:ride:

Like N6VMO said, the XR400 will be fine. I get 80 out of my 450X pretty consistantly with a 3.2 and have gas left. On that 148 mile ride i got 113 before i hit the gas station. But some of that was down hill from McIvers. The XR 400 i was with, that had the big tank, was the one giving out gas to the other rider. He got gas at the 113 mark when we got to Jawbone

I have a 3.8 gal tank on my XR400 and although I have never run out of gas I am guessing I won't make 70+ miles.

Yeah you'll make it no problem. Me and my one friend who ride KTM 300s burned a lot of gas. The 3rd guy who rode with us has an XR400 with a desert tank and he had lots of gas left.

That's good to know. We were actually planning a big boy's ride first to check out how far and how well we did on gas. I have always been very cautious about fuel. I've never run out of gas (walking through the desert is not high on my list) and I have never compared fuel consumption to mileage. Thanks for the info.

Most of our riding group have never been to Burro Schmidt's tunnel

Bring a flashlight if you plan to in, a beanie or hat too. The ceiling gets lower as you go through (I think we saw peices of hair stuck on the ceiling where people had bumped their heads. :):banghead:

32 oz msr on my sons 230...just in case. Also easy to fill off my clark 3.2, pull fuel line, fill msr, dump into his tank.001-1.jpg

32 oz msr on my sons 230...just in case. Also easy to fill off my clark 3.2, pull fuel line, fill msr, dump into his tank.001-1.jpg

If i had that mounted to my bike right there, it would have been destroyed a couple times already. They are nice bottle's though. Just a little bulky for me.

I have a 3.8 gal tank on my XR400 and although I have never run out of gas I am guessing I won't make 70+ miles. I was guessing it was around 50 miles by looking at the map, that would have been a bad mistake. I am going to have to look into the MSR bottles and the Platypus, both look promising. Thanks to all.:)

You think you are getting less than 18 MPG? You should be getting at least 40 MPG, if not it needs work. I think I have got over 160 miles on my XR600 with that tank.

he has 3 crashes on his, it is held on by zip ties, which allow it to rotate.