Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 a waste of money

The truth should be told about it ! It's a poor bike and company's and mags should stop support for it!Yamaha needs to either fix the problem or take it out of production .

The main problem is with the main drive axel shaft around first gear!Allso some of the gears ect .

There are many after market products for this bike which are great products themselves but are really useless due to a poor ttr 125 motor such as bore kits over bores, frame cradles ,storker cranks, other products ect.

Due too the main drive axle shaft being weak these products are useless .The shaft can't handle the stress of more power or tork let alone what it has stock. The shaft can't handle a early down shift.The shaft can't handle locking up the rear break while in gear.The shaft can't handle quick accelration.The shaft can't handle strain of the bike being jumped or woops. The shaft can't handle a poorly adjusted chain. The shaft can't handle the weight of a light kid let alone a adult.I could go on and on about it with facts and can prove what im saying .I have tore down and fixed the problems time and time again on many ttr 125.You could compleatly rebuild or buy a brand new one and have failure in one ride.The starter models are better less stress on the shaft but still don't cure the real problem.

My advice don't wast your money.If you have one all ready keep in mind it can't handle much of anything lol The motor and bike can handle a light weight kid easy shifting a ride around the yard a flat grassy yard that's about it lol.

If you have had simalar problems and want a decent fix send a new shaft -gears out to be cryo treated or have them made out of stronger material along with the gears. Just a thought about what may actuly fix the problem.

I allready have one TTR 125 and will continue to ride it too hard and continue to keep it alive and running. But just wanted to let it be knowen it's not as great a bike as some make it out to be .If you have one and ride it hard you'll see for yourself .You'll be rebuiding and fixing again and again.

I will end with it is a fun bike but fixing it all the time is not fun and that is the truth!

I have an 89 chevy truck, an 01 pontiac grand prix, an xr 400, a stihl 038 chain saw, an echo weed eater and a diamondback mountain bike among other misc. machines of one sort or another, and I have had them all for years. I expect that I will get many more years of use out of all of them. Now, my point is this, I could go out and abuse them all and in a matter of hours, less than one day, I could blow/tear each and everyone of them to pieces easily by operating them in a manner in which they were not designed to be used, or, I could operate each and every one of them in a reasonable way like the one that they were engineered and designed to be used. I'm sorry if I sound condescending but I have an aversion to whiners :p

I have an 89 chevy truck, an 01 pontiac grand prix, an xr 400, a stihl 038 chain saw, an echo weed eater and a diamondback mountain bike among other misc. machines of one sort or another, and I have had them all for years. I expect that I will get many more years of use out of all of them. Now, my point is this, I could go out and abuse them all and in a matter of hours, less than one day, I could blow/tear each and everyone of them to pieces easily by operating them in a manner in which they were not designed to be used, or, I could operate each and every one of them in a reasonable way like the one that they were engineered and designed to be used. I'm sorry if I sound condescending but I have an aversion to whiners :p

Im not being a whiner Im just telling the truth .If you think just kicking a brand new TTR 125 for the very first time haveing it kick back and then tearing it down to see the damage caused . Such as teeth missing from the kick starter gear , or teeth missing from first gear,or teeth missing from the kick starter shaft gear , or the shaft snaped,damage to the gear on the clutch, Damage to the case,damage to the bearings, some of the cases have cracks and in between the bearing brand new right from the factory ,It can happpen I have seen it.

I could go on and on and the damage can happen with no intended miss use.

The motor could use a decompression to help with that on start up.I could go on and on about this motor and the problems and what can happen and why it happens like I said I have tore down and fixed many many TTR 125 motors.

Granted miss use can lead to problems and make the problem worse .Truthfully I can make it it happen in one ride just take a big jump ,slam the break on going down a steet on pavement,Downshift from 3 right into first,Just by useing the kick start I can have it happen if it kicks back. Plain and simple it happens the shaft is weak and the gears are soft.

Im not whineing about it just tring to let people know before they wast their money.

Most every product has problems some are not as bad as others .

All I can say go ahead tear yours down and see if there is damage alot of times you don't know till it's too late.I riden a bum motor for months with a broken shaft.I have 5 motors and at all times I have one in the bike and 2 ready to go in when possible.

That may be your motor, but not mine. I used to do supermoto with super sticky dunlaps slicks and down shift at the of a 700' straight (pavement) and I never had any problems with my motor at all. I had the motor screaming, and the whole time I thinking that's it's going to blow, but it never did. It runs great to this day. Although, now the bike is used for motocross.

I'll be following this thread with interest.

some of them do go through those shafts......ive heard others complaining . but ive not had any issues either......it might be a model year thing like the hubs on earlier models.

We have had ours about 3 year and haven't seen those issues. Obviously it isn't a race bike so, we treat it accordingly. I'm interested to see how many others have had the same issues. :p

Don't buy a yugo and plan on racing it in the Daytona 500...

If you're planning on beating on bike that hard you shouldn't have gottena TTR125. I doubt even a YZ150f or YZ85 would stand being ridden like you describe for very long.

We have had a TTR125 since 2004 and ride it as it was designed for, and haven't had to do anything to it at all.

You bought the wrong bike.

some of them do go through those shafts......ive heard others complaining . but ive not had any issues either......it might be a model year thing like the hubs on earlier models.

Thats an interesting point you bring up. If anyone has had these concerns please post what the problem was and what model year TTR.

On the 02 I have the clutch basket was bad. It had excessive play between the basket and ring gear. But never any of the fore-mentioned concerns.

My '00 TTR125 has broken almost everything, (frame, engine cases, hubs, rims, fork tubes, triple clamps) but never the lower end of the engine. My bike was ridden very hard the first 3 yrs by my son, now it is ridden on go cart tracks by my son and I, at the rev limiter and then down shifting into corner till rear slides with sticky Dunlop 17" frt and rear. The bike has a big bore kit with cam, air cleaner mods, modded susp., and hauls our weight (175") with out any broken engine parts, knock on wood. Mike

well, my misinformed friend, here is a fact.

my 2nd bike was a ttr125l, I broke practically every single body piece except the tank (yes even the front number plate) I broke spokes, I rode it practically every single day for 2 years.

That bike went through hell, now consequently my neighbor got a drz125l, he only broke a rear fender (after I rear ended him :p) however, within 2 days it was dripping oil from the clutch cover (all bolts were tight) it never ran right due to the fact that no one could figure out what it wanted as far as jetting, even after an fmf pipe it woulnt out run my bike, and mine was ridden alot more often.

I sold it a couple weeks ago, ratty as hell looking, but still running like a champ.

I owned a 2001 ttr125l and rode the heck out of the bike practically every day trying to keep up with my buddies 85's until about 2004 when i moved up. Never really had a problem with the bike? maybe just a bad year?

We have an 00 ttr 125 l. We did the cradle, the yz 85 fork swap, a bbr cam, and pretty much every other mod on this site and then some. The only 2 things that went wrong with ours is 1- the studs all broke in the rear sprocket. But, 2 helicoils, changing to bolts, and some loctight red fixed that. I hear 02 and later has been updated? 2- The plastic baffle in the carb kept braking (bought 2) and managed to work its way on top of the float, which made the overflow pee. Then with a tap with a wrench, it would land under the float and shut the fuel off. After the second baffle doing this I eliminated it. No more peeing. Oh yea. The chain did derail a couple of times but luckily did not crack the case. The bbr chain guard took care of that. My kid beats the hell out of it!!! Runs like a top, even with me on it at 220 pounds!!!

He is absolutely right, that these motors are a very bad design, but there are ways to avoid the mess.

1: I can almost guarantee that those who have experienced problems with the countershaft and kick axle and gear etc, are using the kickstart model or kicking an e start model.

2: The addition of a rev box exacerbates the problems.

3: The bike can handle more power, it just can't handle being kicked over with a big bore kit in it or even a high comp piston.

4: If you stick to the e start, the bike can handle all the mods. Its the same problem the plagued the klx 110's in the beginning when adults started pounding them as well. BBR decided it was worthwhile to make an aftermarket counter shaft and 1st gear for that bike, they also decided it wasn't worth it for the ttr 125.

the end

i think we all need to keep in mind this is a kids/small adult TRAIL bike. if you race or ride out of the factory parameters, then this is the risk you assume.

I have had one counter shaft break in 5 years on 3 different TTR125's. They all have been ridden on the dirt, pavement, and ice. Kids and adults. I know of 4 other TTR125's that friends of mine ride the same and have had no trouble.

They are far from junk! I have put more repair money in the wifes 07 YZ250F in 1 year than all my ttr's combined in 5 years.

my friend has a 04 and it hasnt given him any problems. it takes while to get idle but thats about all

He is absolutely right, that these motors are a very bad design, but there are ways to avoid the mess.

1: I can almost guarantee that those who have experienced problems with the countershaft and kick axle and gear etc, are using the kickstart model or kicking an e start model.

2: The addition of a rev box exacerbates the problems.

3: The bike can handle more power, it just can't handle being kicked over with a big bore kit in it or even a high comp piston.

4: If you stick to the e start, the bike can handle all the mods. Its the same problem the plagued the klx 110's in the beginning when adults started pounding them as well. BBR decided it was worthwhile to make an aftermarket counter shaft and 1st gear for that bike, they also decided it wasn't worth it for the ttr 125.

the end

Well so glad someone else knows there is a problem .I most definatly agree mods and abuse will exacerbate the problem.

If you have a E - start model I would not uses the kick start at all if possible.It can happen even if you don't use the kickstarter at all the shaft is weak soft metal as are the gears.

I allso don't think it as much a design problem as much as it's a Weak soft shaft and gears + the break in the shaft and hole for oiling in the area of 1st gear and the clip . Probley the heat and stress during the operation of putting that break in weakens the shaft allso . BBR or someone should reconcider makeing a new stronger shaft and atleast the two gears that are most likely to fail and possibly first gear.

Those of you who don't think it is a problem have not seen it as often as I have or done a tear down every ride just to to see how often it happens.I have done this you'd be supprized how bad a problem this really is. You may be rideing a bike right now that has the problem and not know .I can put a motor together with every bearing bad with some play ,a broken shaft and alot of you would swear it is great .The motor it self dose run well .

I allso agree it was intended for light trail rideing for kids .How ever it was realized that it was pretty good and fun to beat the heck out it by others. They do run great even with major damage alot of the time you don't even know it because its still going great.

If someone wants to see what damage can happen I'd be more than willing to take pics of lot's parts I still have that have damage .If someone is willing to post them .I'll take the pics and e-mail them to you so you could resize them and post them.

Post the pics yourself using photobucket to host them.

Myself, I have a 2001 TTR125L that has the frame cradle and YZ forks reworked to handle my considerable body mass (210 lbs) that hasn't seen a "gentle" hour of use since I bought it four years ago...to be honest, this bike has been used harder than a Tijuana hooker on Naval payday, and the only thing that has failed has been the bars (string cheese stockers) and the carb (no great surprise at that poor design-it made a good excuse for something bigger).

Well, the rear fender, but that was operator error.:p

Honestly, I've seen more failed components on my "big" bike in the same number of engine hours.

• Like 1