Sign in to follow this  

Attention 2009 CRF 450 Owners

Hey, I know a few guys asked about this, so I thought I'd let everyone that didn't know—know.

Incase you were unaware, there is absolutley no need for Honda's fancy little fuel pressurizing tool. I had my bike completley apart, down to nothing. I had to split the cases and fix a major tranny problem. Regardless, I did have my fuel tank completely disconnected from the bike. I removed the quick release and let my tank just sit there for about 3 weeks. Once I fixed my bike and put it back together, it fired right bike to life with just a couple of kicks.

If you were already aware of this, then great. I just remember a few guys asking about this, so I thought I would pass it on.

What major tranny problem did you have?

Hey, I know a few guys asked about this, so I thought I'd let everyone that didn't know—know.

Incase you were unaware, there is absolutley no need for Honda's fancy little fuel pressurizing tool. I had my bike completley apart, down to nothing. I had to split the cases and fix a major tranny problem. Regardless, I did have my fuel tank completely disconnected from the bike. I removed the quick release and let my tank just sit there for about 3 weeks. Once I fixed my bike and put it back together, it fired right bike to life with just a couple of kicks.

If you were already aware of this, then great. I just remember a few guys asking about this, so I thought I would pass it on.

+1

I had mine stored for 4 months with no fuel pressure in lines and it fired right up 2nd kick.

Well I had the same tranny problem that alot of the guys were having with their 08's. A chunk came out of my gear shift drum, which got into the gears and bent the lone shifting fork. This in turn made the single shift fork ride against 5th gear. The ensuing friction it caused, heated up my 3rd 4th and

5th gears on both shafts. The increase in heat caused them to promptly lose their temper. They became brittle & weak, my bike was jumping out of gear and sometimes would not go into 5th gear; eventually I lost 5th gear completley.

Regardless, we tore into it and found that the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears on both shafts were decimated. The gear shift drum was obviously trash because it had a good size chunk out of it. Also, as I stated above, the single shift fork was bent, wore, and discolored, due to grinding against 5th gear. It was a messy deal. When it was all said and done, it cost me around $500 to repair myself.

Despite all that, the valves were in tune & everything else looked sound. I had about 35 hours on the bike. Everything else inside looked unblemished, it's a real shame. I'm saving my receipts, hoping for a recall or something. Kyle summers and many others have had this same problem with their 09's and many 08's. Weird stuff, I never had a lick of trouble with my 06 CRF.

Well I had the same tranny problem that alot of the guys were having with their 08's. A chunk came out of my gear shift drum, which got into the gears and bent the lone shifting fork. This in turn made the single shift fork ride against 5th gear. The ensuing friction it caused, heated up my 3rd 4th and

5th gears on both shafts. The increase in heat caused them to promptly lose their temper. They became brittle & weak, my bike was jumping out of gear and sometimes would not go into 5th gear; eventually I lost 5th gear completley.

Regardless, we tore into it and found that the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears on both shafts were decimated. The gear shift drum was obviously trash because it had a good size chunk out of it. Also, as I stated above, the single shift fork was bent, wore, and discolored, due to grinding against 5th gear. It was a messy deal. When it was all said and done, it cost me around $500 to repair myself.

Despite all that, the valves were in tune & everything else looked sound. I had about 35 hours on the bike. Everything else inside looked unblemished, it's a real shame. I'm saving my receipts, hoping for a recall or something. Kyle summers and many others have had this same problem with their 09's and many 08's. Weird stuff, I never had a lick of trouble with my 06 CRF.

Damn man, sorry to hear about your troubles.

I know some guys haven't had any issues yet, but I am seriously amazed at the volume and variety of issues guys have been reporting with the 09 since it was released.

I just picked up my '09 CRF450 and was able to talk the dealer into a 1yr dealer warranty on the new bike.

Since it was a completely new model and was unproven, they didn't seem to have any issue working it into the deal. If you haven't already purchased one, you might want to inquire about that possibly.