Sign in to follow this  

Revalved KX250 suspenders, best money spent!!

Just bought myself an extremely low hour 02 KX 250(still fitted with standard non o-ring chain), I currently owned an 06 250 exc, and a huge Kato fan, 6 or more Kato's in my time.

But this KX was so good and nearly being given away i couldn't say no!

So i thought i'll see how close i can get this thing to perform as well as my Kato? I ride 99% bush single trail and the standard KX was not good, suspension terrible as you would expect from an MX'r in the bush.

So off i went to the local susp tuner with forks and shock in hand, and after a revalve(no spring replacement as i'm about 215lb kitted)......................THIS THING IS AWESOME!! It has exceeded my expectations by a long shot.Its early days but I would have to say its better than any other bike i've owned (other than Kato's, 05 RM 250, and 01 YZF250).

I still have a F/W weight coming, so it can only get better.

As you can tell i'm pretty stoked with the KX, just sold the Kato, and i spose what i'm trying to say is, if anyone out there is riding a KX on standard susp in the bush (or woods for the U.S guys), do yourself a huge favor and get it sorted, dont worry about pipes and fat bars, or reeds.

Excitable rant over....:p

Just picked mine up after re valving , sat on and a quick rip in the field feels great so far . I only ride trails and the guys at the suspenion shop couldnt belive i havnt brought my bike in sooner . But you wont find a F W W on my set up i want all the snap i can get , glad to hear you have changed colours !!

Just picked mine up after re valving , sat on and a quick rip in the field feels great so far . I only ride trails and the guys at the suspenion shop couldnt belive i havnt brought my bike in sooner . But you wont find a F W W on my set up i want all the snap i can get , glad to hear you have changed colours !!

Who did ya revalving? Did ya do front and rear? no f/w weight? What gearing you running? I'm running 13/49 and find its good on faster single trail, but in the real snotty stop start single trail it can be a pain with the high first gear and light f/wheel, stalls far too easy. I'm not too concerned with any power loss, will prob make things easier. lol

So i thought i'll see how close i can get this thing to perform as well as my Kato

youre not going to make many friends this way

youre not going to make many friends this way

You might be suprised how well KTM's can be set up.

Oh i just noticed your'e age....:p Never mind carry on.

Krooz tune in Boronia . Stock gearing 13 / 51 , I really like the gearing it great in tight single track i can lugg it through anything and not any stalling problems. I have heard F W W's are an advantage in really muddy conditions but if your good with the clutch than i dont think is a must .

Got mine done at Chads in Lara, Your'e gearing would be a little better for the tight stuff, hopefully fitting the f/w weight tomoro then riding Wed morn, i'll let ya know how it feels. Are you on DBW?

You might be suprised how well KTM's can be set up.

Oh i just noticed your'e age....:p Never mind carry on.

i didint say anything bad about ktms at all. i agree for offroad they come from the factory better set up. i am color blind when it comes to bike. i like em all and im not brand specific, was just messing with ya, you just assumed that a green bike will never be like an orange bike, what does age have to do with anything?

Well I like the green bikes and live in an orange world lol. Most of my friends ride orange and my best riding buddy has 2 KTM 300 EXC a 05 and a 07 so I am very familiar with them. My green bikes are a match for any of them. deep river I am glad to hear you have your bike working well, and yes IMO the 02 is a great off road bike with set up. BTW I use flywheel weights and like them, you will too.

Ed

No, 2 Great Dogs. The one on the left is Clyde and the one on the right is his sister Bonnie. They were our first Great Danes, but have passed now. We have had 6 Danes all together but sadly just 3 right now. A large fawn boy named Frankie an old girl named Ursla and a blind white one named Annie.

Anyway I chose to name myself after Clyde and use his picture for my avatar.

Ed

Well I like the green bikes and live in an orange world lol. Most of my friends ride orange and my best riding buddy has 2 KTM 300 EXC a 05 and a 07 so I am very familiar with them. My green bikes are a match for any of them. deep river I am glad to hear you have your bike working well, and yes IMO the 02 is a great off road bike with set up. BTW I use flywheel weights and like them, you will too.

Ed

I'll reserve my overall oppinion of the KX until i ride some of the real snotty s/t with the f/w weight on, i still think it'll be at a disadvantage with the taller 1st gear, the clutch is nowhere near as good as the Kato's ie it has such a small transition area from no drive to full drive. Auto Clutch would fix both those problems though......Mmm there's a thought, lot of money on an old bike though, do they bolt straight on to the newer models?

i didint say anything bad about ktms at all. i agree for offroad they come from the factory better set up. i am color blind when it comes to bike. i like em all and im not brand specific, was just messing with ya, you just assumed that a green bike will never be like an orange bike, what does age have to do with anything?

Just messing with ya.:p

when you are on two wheels.. suspension fine tuning is always the best money spent, tweaking with my gixxer's suspension made it feel to stable I drag knee every corner at lake barryessa :p

cant wait to send my kx's suspension off to get revalved/sprung

Are you on DBW?
Ya im on that too but i dont really care for it not much to offer for our green smokers and find it more of a chat room for the regulars , seems you have to be apart of thier "click". Today was the big test of the re valving and words cant describe just everyone ate my dust !!!

Ya im on that too but i dont really care for it not much to offer for our green smokers and find it more of a chat room for the regulars , seems you have to be apart of thier "click". Today was the big test of the re valving and words cant describe just everyone ate my dust !!!

Yeah your right, not much for KX riders on there, hence why i'm back here, lol

deep river my KX runs a 98 1st and 2nd gear and 02 3rd 4th and 5th giving me the lower low gears. I also run a 310 cylinder on it. OK as far as "a lot of money" I buy my bikes cheap and then maybe spend more on the than they cost me but it is my hobby, also my 02 was super clean and I payed $1000 for it.

All that said I do like the KTMs but I also like being a little different too. I buy parts all the time on ebay and have enough stuff to ride my 99-02 Kawasakis the rest of my life if I want to.

As for the original post I to have revalved all my forks and most of my shocks. The KX is too stiff for offroad as they come, but again I do that my self too. I have a box of shims and a few sets of springs and just play until I am happy, but I have worked out a setup I like.

I would love to go for a ride with you where you live on a nasty day and let you ride my bike and tell me what you think. Heck I would love to ride with you where you live just to do it. Most of all I am glad your KX is working for you and there are many things you can do to it to make it a better trail bike.

Ed

I see after rereading your post the "a lot of money" was about the auto clutch. Skipro3 runs one on his 02 and loves it, my friend with the 300 KTMs has them in both of his bikes, but I still like a good old clutch so that is some money I can save for other things, lol.

Ed

i am the only kawi rider in a see of ornage in red, its like a big bloddy nose and im the lonesome buger:banana: